Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate opens on it's own

Djsc11442

Reaction score
I have a 2019 3500 SRW. Occasionaly my talgate will open while driving down the road. Totally random. I thought for awhile that i was accidentally hitting the fob button 2x in my pocket while climbing in, but i don't think this is the issue. I am in the habit now of closing the tailgate, and then trying to pull it open. Never opens for me. But when i get to my destination, the tailgate is down (occasionally). This bothers me for multiple reasons of course. I don't want to lose anything on the highway, but i just bought a 5th wheel and my concern is damage to the trailer when turning if my tailgate drops.

Has anyone else had this issue? I can take it to the dealer, but wanted to see if this was common or just me.

Thanks for any feedback.

kristof

Reaction score
It happened to me couple of times on my 2020 2500. I have the soft cover on it and each time I have to slam the gate to make sure it's locked. I think I will install some kind of safety "device" in case the gate will unlock it won't open all the way down.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 3500 SRW. Occasionaly my talgate will open while driving down the road. Totally random. I thought for awhile that i was accidentally hitting the fob button 2x in my pocket while climbing in, but i don't think this is the issue. I am in the habit now of closing the tailgate, and then trying to pull it open. Never opens for me. But when i get to my destination, the tailgate is down (occasionally). This bothers me for multiple reasons of course. I don't want to lose anything on the highway, but i just bought a 5th wheel and my concern is damage to the trailer when turning if my tailgate drops.

Has anyone else had this issue? I can take it to the dealer, but wanted to see if this was common or just me.

Thanks for any feedback.

Look to see if there is a recall. My 2014 1500 had the tailgate opening as a recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djsc11442

Reaction score
It happened to me couple of times on my 2020 2500. I have the soft cover on it and each time I have to slam the gate to make sure it's locked. I think I will install some kind of safety "device" in case the gate will unlock it won't open all the way down.
Thanks kristof - i have a softcover too (which won't be there when hooked up with the 5er, but maybe that is causing the issue. I do slam it when i shut it.

Bighoof

Reaction score
I have an older Ram that does not have the remote tailgate drop. It has come down a few times too. Problem was a bit of water getting onto the latch causing it to freeze and not latch correctly. Is it cold where you are located?

Djsc11442

Reaction score
I have an older Ram that does not have the remote tailgate drop. It has come down a few times too. Problem was a bit of water getting onto the latch causing it to freeze and not latch correctly. Is it cold where you are located?
Located in PA. But this happens during the summer too. Almost lost my golf clubs because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread