Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate dimpling

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Anyone else notice random dime sized dimples in their tailgates? I have 2, just noticed 1 a few weeks ago now I have another one. They are in different areas too. Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Back in the 3rd gen days some folks believed that these were caused by dropping the tailgate and where the internal support brace would essentially dent the tailgate from the inside out. Never had it happen to me, but read about it enough that it has always triggered me to add the little gas shocks to all of my tailgates from there on out.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Back in the 3rd gen days some folks believed that these were caused by dropping the tailgate and where the internal support brace would essentially dent the tailgate from the inside out. Never had it happen to me, but read about it enough that it has always triggered me to add the little gas shocks to all of my tailgates from there on out.
This actually makes a lot of sense. I don't use the auto down tailgate button much, but I did the other day and after that I noticed the 2nd dimple. I was also on a decline when I did it and while it doesn't "slam" down, it does come down harder than manually doing it.

solson

Reaction score
Anyone else notice random dime sized dimples in their tailgates? I have 2, just noticed 1 a few weeks ago now I have another one. They are in different areas too. Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?
I have a new 2022 2500HD long bed and noticed today for the first time two outwardly protruding small dents in identical locations on both sides (about middle of tail lamp high and in 2" from the outside edge. Anyone confirm if the cause is pressure from some internal support component or a manufacturing defect?

Attachments

• dent.jpg
    dent.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 65

flan

Reaction score
I heard it’s from small pebbles getting inside the tailgate from the drain holes on the bottom of the tailgate. Rocks enter when the tailgate is down and material is moved into/out of the bed. Then those Little Rock’s wedge themselves between the support braces and start to pop out the sheet metal.

solson

Reaction score
I heard it’s from small pebbles getting inside the tailgate from the drain holes on the bottom of the tailgate. Rocks enter when the tailgate is down and material is moved into/out of the bed. Then those Little Rock’s wedge themselves between the support braces and start to pop out the sheet metal.
These are in exactly symmetrical locations---(I measured it) sure seems to be either some fixture in the manufacturing process or a structural piece or part inside the tailgate. Maybe I'll just have to tear it apart and see.

superjoe83

Reaction score
These are in exactly symmetrical locations---(I measured it) sure seems to be either some fixture in the manufacturing process or a structural piece or part inside the tailgate. Maybe I'll just have to tear it apart and see.
There is a brace that is causing the outward pressure, I think it happens when you walk on the gate when down, I didn't notice mine untill I got in and out of the bed loading wood pellets, it happened mostly on the drivers side since I was using the bed step

Jacob

Reaction score
I got a few tiny dents in my tailgate and I know I didn't hit anything. The only thing I could think of was rocks kicked up by tires hit the front of trailer and then bounced back and hit the tailgate. Who knows? Was pissed off about them until one day I dropped it down on the trailer jack, forgot about it, then stepped on the tailgate to help crush it down on the jack.

solson

Reaction score
There is a brace that is causing the outward pressure, I think it happens when you walk on the gate when down, I didn't notice mine untill I got in and out of the bed loading wood pellets, it happened mostly on the drivers side since I was using the bed step
Is there anything that can be done? Modify or pad the brace? I obviously need to use the tailgate and don't want to worsen this anytime I put any weight on it.

Users who are viewing this thread