Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Cables / Straps Different Lengths

rubidriver

Reaction score
Okay, the title of this is a bit misleading, but I needed something to grab the general users attention.

So my 2019 3500 HO Cummins is only using the passengers side tailgate cable. Its not that they are different lengths, its that the mounts are not the same distance apart (from side to side). The dealer was real shi#ty with me and showed me that its the case with other HDs and not just mine (so I should deal with it). He claimed I would need to talk to Chrysler about it. Am I the only one that has complained to the dealer about this? This cant be good on the cable mounts, cables, nor can it be good on the tailgate as a whole due to the torsion that is placed on the tailgate while loaded on the drivers side. Is there a TSB or something I am missing? If I get new cables, I will likely have the same problem. The best solution Ive thought of is to stretch the passengers side cable, but Im not sure if i can stretch it 1/4" without breaking it.

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 80

Mine is like that. It is common. My dealer replaced the cables, and no change. It's a "feature".

rubidriver

Reaction score
So what can a person do to prevent the tailgate from bending / all the weight being put on one mount?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
While unequal length tailgate cables is common, I've never seen or heard of a tailgate being bent because of that mismatch. Get up and stand on the tailgate and I think you'll find that the loose cable will now be taut.

rubidriver

Reaction score
Burn'n oil: If you think about it, the only way for that to happen is 1. The tailgate momentarily torsions allowing the loose cable to see tension....or 2. The cable that is tight momentarily stretches enough for the other one to see tension. I rarely pull the "I'm an engineer card" but I have to on this one..... This isnt a good design and isnt good on the mounting points or the tailgate. The dealer claims that most - if not all of them or like that (so it must be part of the design). I call BS. If they are all like that, then they are all wrong.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Burn'n oil: If you think about it, the only way for that to happen is 1. The tailgate momentarily torsions allowing the loose cable to see tension....or 2. The cable that is tight momentarily stretches enough for the other one to see tension. I rarely pull the "I'm an engineer card" but I have to on this one..... This isnt a good design and isnt good on the mounting points or the tailgate. The dealer claims that most - if not all of them or like that (so it must be part of the design). I call BS. If they are all like that, then they are all wrong.

Then pretty much every manufacturer is wrong going back decades...this isn't a new 'problem' and it isn't limited to FCA.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I try not to think about it. It is what it is and has been for many yrs.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I honestly feel this is my first truck with this much noticeable difference in cable tension, through 3 other rams and a Tacoma. Ive also wondered about the twisting of components until the cables reach an equilibrium

At the same time I've driven a motorcycle up into the bed in previous trucks and no issue afterwards, and I'm pretty sure that's technically overloading the tailgate

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Picked up my 2500 Laramie 6.4 yesterday afternoon. It was late when I left the dealership so only drove it about 45 miles back home. Hope to spend some time playing with the settings today.

Had the tailgate cable problem with the driver's side cable slack. There is apparently a Star case on the cables that tells them to try swapping the cables side to side but that didn't help. Same side was still slack. I think it is the mount points for the pins. But they measured the cables and one cable was 1/8" longer than the other so they ordered another cable hoping it would match one or the other. Seeing what I did I don't think that will make any difference. They went out and checked every 2500 on the lot and all of them were the same way with one cable slightly slack.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Picked up my 2500 Laramie 6.4 yesterday afternoon. It was late when I left the dealership so only drove it about 45 miles back home. Hope to spend some time playing with the settings today.

They went out and checked every 2500 on the lot and all of them were the same way with one cable slightly slack.

With inventory on the lot, they could just swap the cables around to make even pairs.

Demaggg

Reaction score
I reversed the cables on mine and it dint help. Seems as if the tailgate is slightly tweeked from the factory, it only take a little weight on the gate to make the cable tight. (in my case the drivers side) The aluminum tailgate is nice and light but Im skeptical that its as stout as the old steel gate.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
I reversed the cables on mine and it dint help. Seems as if the tailgate is slightly tweeked from the factory, it only take a little weight on the gate to make the cable tight. (in my case the drivers side) The aluminum tailgate is nice and light but Im skeptical that its as stout as the old steel gate.

Word has it they are NOT aluminum

jerryw1000

Reaction score
"With inventory on the lot, they could just swap the cables around to make even pairs. "

I suggested that but the shop guys were busy and they said they said it would only take a few days to get new cables. At the time I was already going to have to bring it in next week to get my wireless charger looked at.....but now it's working since their electronics guy flashed the BCM with the Sales Codes.

"in my case the drivers side)"

I think the guy that checked the lot said they were all slack on the driver's side.

Users who are viewing this thread