Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T-case Selector Keeps Shutting Off.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
So this is the 3rd time in this 19 2500 CTD, 4x4. Same thing happened a few times in my 19 1500 Rebel. I go to select 4wd and nothing happens. The whole section is black with no lights on. Nothing works.... I had to reset everything today again after I got stuck in the snow, went to hit 4wd and oh.... it’s dead again. I have videos and photos of this time too. Last time was in a boat ramp and died again. Only way to fix is shut the truck off and wait 15 min or disconnect the batteries and wait 10. Anyone else?? I’m super confused and have zero trust in the truck now, this and the CP4 I dunno anymore. D2AC19BB-CC04-4835-BB36-D5A616351767.jpeg62A3A223-9128-45D7-B901-EAE1E09C10DD.jpeg

gdgestvang

Reaction score
So this is the 3rd time in this 19 2500 CTD, 4x4. Same thing happened a few times in my 19 1500 Rebel. I go to select 4wd and nothing happens. The whole section is black with no lights on. Nothing works.... I had to reset everything today again after I got stuck in the snow, went to hit 4wd and oh.... it’s dead again. I have videos and photos of this time too. Last time was in a boat ramp and died again. Only way to fix is shut the truck off and wait 15 min or disconnect the batteries and wait 10. Anyone else?? I’m super confused and have zero trust in the truck now, this and the CP4 I dunno anymore. View attachment 11980View attachment 11981
Do you have a Banks Pedal Monster installed? That is what caused my 2019 3500 to do the same thing.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
Do you have a Banks Pedal Monster installed? That is what caused my 2019 3500 to do the same thing.
I do in this 2500 however this has happened when it was not installed too. Along with I never had it on my 1500 and it did the same thing quite a few times as well. So I’m 100% sure it’s not the Pedal Monster, few other folks don’t have it and still have the problem.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
How were you stuck in that little bit of snow lol
I have no issue with my 4x4 but when its really cold the lights on the buttons flicker like crazy untill the truck warms up

NomadPNW

Reaction score
How were you stuck in that little bit of snow lol
I have no issue with my 4x4 but when its really cold the lights on the buttons flicker like crazy untill the truck warms up
Street PSI and these Nittos do not like snow unless they are at 20psi.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
Well took the truck to a dealer today while it was acting up. Once they hooked up the OBD link the t-case was not showing up. Couldn’t see anything, tried pushing the 4wd and doesn’t even show a request was started. So they are going to link with FCA but no one has any idea.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well took the truck to a dealer today while it was acting up. Once they hooked up the OBD link the t-case was not showing up. Couldn’t see anything, tried pushing the 4wd and doesn’t even show a request was started. So they are going to link with FCA but no one has any idea.
Thats impressive must be a bcm issue

pax

Reaction score
It could be worse. When I took 2018 3500 in they didn't need to hook up the OBD to see the transfer case wasn't showing up. (sorry the first image is upside down, not sure why)
1614016799413.png
1614016826355.png

pax

Reaction score
Holly crap! Did they ever find out why it let go?
I never found out. I think the shift motor didn't disengage the 4wd at some point. It tore the front driveshaft apart at the CV joint first. First dealer said it was "road hazard" and file a claim with my insurance company. Also that the transfer case was fine even though I knew it wasn't

Called the dealer I bought it from and they said bring it in they would cover it under warranty. When I was almost there it started making pretty bad noises but it made it the service lane just fine.

I immediately traded it in on the 2021 Ram 2500 that I have now. After I pulled my stuff out of it they pulled it back to their service lot, no more than 100 yards. When the technician put it in reverse to back in to the spot that is when it let loose. So technically it didn't happen to my truck, by about 20 minutes.

Also, it was a 2018 Ram 3500, 18 months old, 17,000 miles.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
I never found out. I think the shift motor didn't disengage the 4wd at some point. It tore the front driveshaft apart at the CV joint first. First dealer said it was "road hazard" and file a claim with my insurance company. Also that the transfer case was fine even though I knew it wasn't

Called the dealer I bought it from and they said bring it in they would cover it under warranty. When I was almost there it started making pretty bad noises but it made it the service lane just fine.

I immediately traded it in on the 2021 Ram 2500 that I have now. After I pulled my stuff out of it they pulled it back to their service lot, no more than 100 yards. When the technician put it in reverse to back in to the spot that is when it let loose. So technically it didn't happen to my truck, by about 20 minutes.

Also, it was a 2018 Ram 3500, 18 months old, 17,000 miles.
That’s crazy! Yeah I have little faith in this being fixed. I’ll most likely have to trade it in for something else at the end of the year. I need to 4x4 to work and I can’t be stuck out 50 miles from the nearest cell service lol

pax

Reaction score
That’s crazy! Yeah I have little faith in this being fixed. I’ll most likely have to trade it in for something else at the end of the year. I need to 4x4 to work and I can’t be stuck out 50 miles from the nearest cell service lol
I lost confidence in that truck so I had to trade it in for peace of mind. I was afraid that even once they replaced the transfer case it might not fix whatever caused the transfer case to fail.

It was a shame because I loved that truck.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
I lost confidence in that truck so I had to trade it in for peace of mind. I was afraid that even once they replaced the transfer case it might not fix whatever caused the transfer case to fail.

It was a shame because I loved that truck.
Same here! I love this truck even with the CP4 haha but I planned to build a full overland rig with this. But now I have my reserves about keeping it. Since my last 19 1500 was doing the same thing and unfixed :(

NomadPNW

Reaction score
Did Banks refund you for the Pedal Monster? Also did yours randomly act up or was it instant? The Pedal Monster has been on for about 4-6 weeks and now it’s acting up. Seems kinda odd, I unplugged it from the OBS port while it was acting up and didn’t seem to change it.

gdgestvang

Reaction score
Did Banks refund you for the Pedal Monster? Also did yours randomly act up or was it instant? The Pedal Monster has been on for about 4-6 weeks and now it’s acting up. Seems kinda odd, I unplugged it from the OBS port while it was acting up and didn’t seem to change it.
I contacted Banks about the problem and they had me select the " NO OBD" option in the settings menu which has solved the problem. They tell me that engineering is working on a fix so I can have full functionality of the product restored.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
I contacted Banks about the problem and they had me select the " NO OBD" option in the settings menu which has solved the problem. They tell me that engineering is working on a fix so I can have full functionality of the product restored.
I’m going to take it out of the truck tomorrow and see what happens with the truck. I’ll wait till banks has a fix and go from there. Thanks for the input. This is just crazy since my Rebel did the same thing with no pedal monster lol

Users who are viewing this thread