Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

switching to a 1500 and use for towing?

RamGuy84

Reaction score
So I really like the 1500 over the HDs. I feel like Ram made a poor decision not giving the HDs the same cab as the 1500.

If I went with a 1500 it would be a limited, 6'4" box, 4x4, crew cab, 3.92 rear end, id install air bags in the rear and install a 4" lift in it.

I tow a 24' x 8.5' enclose trailer. empty it is 4000 pounds, loaded it averages 8k-10k probably. Being that long it was some decent tongue weight. I dont tow it everyday, but 3 times a week, sometimes a little more.

What are your thoughts on this?
Would you recommend the 4 corner air suspension over just rear aftermarket bags?

jsalbre

Reaction score
What’s the tongue weight of your trailer when loaded? It’ll probably be way over your payload capacity on a 1500, and may even exceed your RAWR.

CurtJ

Reaction score
So I really like the 1500 over the HDs. I feel like Ram made a poor decision not giving the HDs the same cab as the 1500.

If I went with a 1500 it would be a limited, 6'4" box, 4x4, crew cab, 3.92 rear end, id install air bags in the rear and install a 4" lift in it.

I tow a 24' x 8.5' enclose trailer. empty it is 4000 pounds, loaded it averages 8k-10k probably. Being that long it was some decent tongue weight. I dont tow it everyday, but 3 times a week, sometimes a little more.

Would you recommend the 4 corner air suspension over just rear aftermarket bags?
Don’t get a 1500 to tow anything that size! My 2019 1500 I had couldn’t even tow an 8.5 x 16 with our Harley’s in it safely. That’s why I ended up with a 2500! You will overload that 1500 fast!!! Do yourself a favor and spend a little bit more and by 1 truck that will do what you need effortlessly.

Wileykid

Reaction score
One of your biggest problem is getting the Limited. The more junk (trim level), the less payload. I would bet you would run out of payload.

Any serious towing means the higher the trim, the bigger the truck. And 10K lbs you are in the 3/4 ton area for comfort.

Phil T

Reaction score

1500's are really not up to the task of towing much more than a small utility trailer. They are best at grocery trips, taking the kids to the soccer field and other around town errands. Put 4 people in the seats and a small ice chest in the bed and you have maxed out the poor truck.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. It was just a thought.
That was fast!

And about your ref to the latest HD's cab not being similar to the 5th gen 1500s... I must have missed something in the context because the 19+ HD cabs are in fact very similar to the current half tons, especially in the LongHorn and Limited trim. Apologies if I misunderstood.

And while I respect the comments re a 1500's lack of capacity to tow (they're mostly correct), the girlie truck can be a formidable tow machine for the obstinate, pig-headed doers among us. My better half personally knows a crusty old fart that used a 09 Dodge 1500 (with a 545RFE 5-speed, no less), to tow a 8500 lb TT for better than 40K kms over eight yrs. A thousand lbs on the ball, GAWRs exceeded, GVWR exceeded and white knuckle excitement always just a corner away. Yep, very capable little trucks. But then again, it's never too late to grow up... ;):cool:

Phil T

Reaction score
That was fast!

And about your ref to the latest HD's cab not being similar to the 5th gen 1500s... I must have missed something in the context because the 19+ HD cabs are in fact very similar to the current half tons, especially in the LongHorn and Limited trim. Apologies if I misunderstood.

And while I respect the comments re a 1500's lack of capacity to tow (they're mostly correct), the girlie truck can be a formidable tow machine for the obstinate, pig-headed doers among us. My better half personally knows a crusty old fart that used a 09 Dodge 1500 (with a 545RFE 5-speed, no less), to tow a 8500 lb TT for better than 40K kms over eight yrs. A thousand lbs on the ball, GAWRs exceeded, GVWR exceeded and white knuckle excitement always just a corner away. Yep, very capable little trucks. But then again, it's never too late to grow up... ;):cool:

And their names were Lucy and Desi

RamGuy84

Reaction score
That was fast!

Seats are different, telescopic steering, larger cab by I believe 4 inches, different switchgear on the steering wheel and a panoramic moonroof.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Seats are different, telescopic steering, larger cab by I believe 4 inches, different switchgear on the steering wheel and a panoramic moonroof.
Meh.... semantics. The seats in my LongHorn may not be the same as those fitted to the current half tons, but they treat me bodaciously. And that see-thru junk in the roof of a truck's cab... nuthin but trouble waiting fer a happening.

Last edited:

RLange

Reaction score
I had a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie w/5.7L Hemi with 3.93 rear gear. I added Airlift rear air bags when it was new. I pulled a 35' Keystone Outback TT. The truck pulled this trailer very well. I traded in my Outback for a 30' 5th wheel, so I had to get a 2500

Attachments

• 20171006_115742.jpg
    20171006_115742.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread