Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching From Ford?

ollicat

Reaction score
Transferflow 58 gallon. Looks like they took them off the website again while producing more. Here is more information though if you are interested. Specific to the gas SD's.

Oh but only for the Ford. I misread and thought it was for the Ram 2500 SB.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I'll play devil's advocate.

You currently have THE BEST gas offering in a HD truck. The 7.3 and 10 speed are going to FAR outperform anything anyone else offers as it relates to towing, hauling, and MPG in the world of gasoline.

Moving to the cummins diesel will certainly allow you to tow more confidently, but your mpg will not improve much, if at all, while in tow. 8-10mpg with a considerable load (~10-12k lbs) is average with the diesel. I get closer to 8 mpg but I have the HO cummins and my trailer loaded is nearing 14k lbs.

Unloaded cummins SO mpg will be better than what you currently have, but the cummins HO will get similar MPG to what you get now (maybe 1-2 mpg better?), unloaded.

The ram diesel will also feel more clunky and dump-truck like (less responsive) than your "light on it's feet" gas 7.3 Ford.

The interior is where the Ram far outperforms the Ford. You will be pleasantly surprised in that area.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Nice conversation, and relevant to me right now. I have a 22 Tremor (7.3) that just landed. I'm having second thoughts and am considering a 6.7 Rebel. I need need something that is decent offroad and tows well. I only tow ~9k lbs but have a TALL trailer with some serious wind drag. Combine that with towing weekly throughout WY and CO, the 7.3 worries me.

I did a rather extensive cost comparison between the two - the diesel will cost me ~.27/mile where as the gasser will cost ~.22/mile based on current fuel prices.

I had a 20 Power Wagon (6.4/8sp) and HATED towing with it. The tongue weight killed it and the power was lacking in the mountains. Not to mention how high that engine liked to rev. However, I didn't have any issues with it through 18k miles and it was stellar offroad. Not fire road riding either
Food for thought I did the same calculations and got a 6.4. Just got rid of it. My mileage estimates were off. It was a 12.5 highway cruiser. And my fifth wheel being high profile was sub 10 mpg. Usually 8. Making the diesel cost relatively the same and being a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

If you only occasionally tow. The 6.4 never complained about anything I put behind it and the 8 speed is great.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Food for thought I did the same calculations and got a 6.4. Just got rid of it. My mileage estimates were off. It was a 12.5 highway cruiser. And my fifth wheel being high profile was sub 10 mpg. Usually 8. Making the diesel cost relatively the same and being a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

If you only occasionally tow. The 6.4 never complained about anything I put behind it and the 8 speed is great.
12 mpg stock? I'm seeing 15-16 on hiway and I have 4.10 gears. Only see 12 on city/hiway mix. I hand calculate and my computer is usually really close.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
12 mpg stock? I'm seeing 15-16 on hiwa
285/75r18 and leveled. I had 4.10’s and live in the Rockies with 80mph speed limits.

Not exactly a recipe for good fuel economy. That being said. I traveled all over CA this year. With the exception of a few mid teen LA/Mojave desert tanks. It was apretty solid 12.5 highway cruiser.

I drove it home from Sacramento during the cold snap before Christmas and got 12.5, 11, 8, 7, 9 mpg on my tanks home. Empty.

Jlmtmn79

Reaction score
I just made the switch to a 2022 3500 ram DRW from a 2018 F350 SRW and i am happy with the choice i made the only thing that is taking me some get use to is the transmission shifts sooner due to the rpm range of the engine. the ride is better unloaded than the ford the interior is better than the ford. But i ordered mine with 410 gears as the main thing it will be used for towing our 20000 pound camper which it does great job at that. The fuel econemy is not as good as the ford but i can live with it.

tammlyn

Reaction score
i also live in ontario and before covid the mto and opp would do blitz inspections,my friend had his plates taken off his truck on the spot,i had to go unpin my trailer and go back and get his,the fine was pretty high and in order to get his plates back,he needed to reinstall all the emissions control,also had to bring the truck back for an inspection ,on a tow truck as you can't drive it until they give you your plates back,i'm in the same boat right as i would like to upgrade my 06 gmc drw with 300.km thats still running good but for how long,i'm also taking the ram cummins seriously

bmidd31

Reaction score
Had a 2020 F350 6.7 PS XLT and now have a 2022 Ram 3500 HO Bighorn Mega. I tow a 15k 5th wheel weekend trips April-Nov for reference. Ram's interior is WAY nicer in my opinion on every trim. The HO Cummins and Aisin will out tow any 6.7 anyday and twice on Sunday. The exhaust brake alone make the Ram worth it over the Ford. Mileage on both unloaded and loaded is about the same. I'll give Ford the nod on cab space, miss my super crew cab size even with Mega Cab. If you towing over 10K Ram is the way to go...hands down. If your hot dogging light to light the Ford is a bit quicker in my opinion.
With all this said based off you needs why are you looking at an HD period? You're not towing much and you're concerned about fuel mileage. Get a 1/2 ton and call it a day. Likely Ford F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost would be you best bet for towing and mileage. The Ram 1500's are VERY NICE inside as well and have a cab comparable to the Ford Super Crew. The 5.7 will drink fuel though... If you do go with HD and Diesel get a 1 ton/3500 as other have stated. Ignore "Tow Capacity" and look at "Payload" numbers. Tow capacity is totally a marketing joke... Remember payload on the sticker was as it rolled off the line. Very little fuel, no people, no gear, no hitches, bare bones truck. Payload disappears fast!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Had a 2020 F350 6.7 PS XLT and now have a 2022 Ram 3500 HO Bighorn Mega. I tow a 15k 5th wheel weekend trips April-Nov for reference. Ram's interior is WAY nicer in my opinion on every trim. The HO Cummins and Aisin will out tow any 6.7 anyday and twice on Sunday. The exhaust brake alone make the Ram worth it over the Ford. Mileage on both unloaded and loaded is about the same. I'll give Ford the nod on cab space, miss my super crew cab size even with Mega Cab. If you towing over 10K Ram is the way to go...hands down. If your hot dogging light to light the Ford is a bit quicker in my opinion.
With all this said based off you needs why are you looking at an HD period? You're not towing much and you're concerned about fuel mileage. Get a 1/2 ton and call it a day. Likely Ford F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost would be you best bet for towing and mileage. The Ram 1500's are VERY NICE inside as well and have a cab comparable to the Ford Super Crew. The 5.7 will drink fuel though... If you do go with HD and Diesel get a 1 ton/3500 as other have stated. Ignore "Tow Capacity" and look at "Payload" numbers. Tow capacity is totally a marketing joke... Remember payload on the sticker was as it rolled off the line. Very little fuel, no people, no gear, no hitches, bare bones truck. Payload disappears fast!

You have an interesting take.

My close friend has a 2019 Powerstroke F250 and that truck flat out hauls ass. I drive a 4.10 gear'd HO cummins and he would destroy me in a race up the hill loaded. He also gets about 2mpg better in all situations.

Now.. I have no idea how well his exhaust brake works, but I have heard him complain about it from time to time so I'd imagine not well.

Interiors I totally agree. One of the main reasons I went Ram was due to the interior.

bmidd31

Reaction score
You have an interesting take.

My close friend has a 2019 Powerstroke F250 and that truck flat out hauls ass. I drive a 4.10 gear'd HO cummins and he would destroy me in a race up the hill loaded. He also gets about 2mpg better in all situations.

Now.. I have no idea how well his exhaust brake works, but I have heard him complain about it from time to time so I'd imagine not well.

Interiors I totally agree. One of the main reasons I went Ram was due to the interior.
Not talking about racing...Ford is faster as I said. I'm saying towing control and comfort hands down Ram wins. Ford flat out just does not tow as well in my opinion. Will it do it faster...sure but you're white knuckling it 50% of the time. When you get to your destination you're relaxed and not exhausted, that is more important to me then racing up the mountain.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Not talking about racing...Ford is faster as I said. I'm saying towing control and comfort hands down Ram wins. Ford flat out just does not tow as well in my opinion. Will it do it faster...sure but you're white knuckling it 50% of the time. When you get to your destination you're relaxed and not exhausted, that is more important to me then racing up the mountain.

A lot of that is due to the configuration of what youre towing. My white knuckle adventures disappeared when I sold my bumper pull and bought a 5er.

Then I bought a DRW and it made the tow experience even better.

vipers1

Reaction score
Does anyone feel that there's been a increase in reported issues associated with the 6.7 Cummins over the last year on here? I think something like 17-20 of the 1st 40 posts in the 6.7 comments thread are related to issues failures recalls etc.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
recalls aren't really failures and are a good thing
Also people generally don't report positive experiences, only negative like when something broke down

vipers1

Reaction score
I understand that. Just wondering. Seemed like a notable increase over the last couple years. Ford trucks and Tremor forum had a combined 18 issues reported out of thier 1st 80 threads. 3 on tremor forum and 15 on the ford truck forum which includes trucks back to 2011. I asked because I've had a 7.3 godzilla and ordered a 23 and I'm also reconsidering a 6.7 Cummins if it takes forever for my 23' 7.3 to come in like my 22' did. I'm finding lower and mid trim 7.3's cost as much as brand new lower to mid trimmed 6.7 cummins in my area. So basically I can get a new 22' tradesman 6.7 for roughly the same price as a used 21/22' xl 7.3. Fords are stupid priced right now.

Dave01

Reaction score
Also this forum is narrowly focused on HD Rams, not all Rams, which would increase the % of issues you might see reported.

Users who are viewing this thread