Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching From Ford?

Bcrouse

Reaction score
Have you driven a Ram HD Diesel? If so I would before you make the purchase. While it tows great, coming from a Ford (especially the PS) the inline 6 is going to "feel" like a slug to you. The Ford is a much more powerful/quick truck to drive compared to the Ram. That's usually the biggest complaint of people coming from a Ford.

As far as problems etc, they all have them. For every broken Ford I can find a broken Ram so pick your poison.

I do like the Ram interior better though. But Ford has more room in the crew cab configuration then the Ram.
The Ford CrewCab sqft is about the same as the Ram Megacab.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I gotcha now. I understand what you mean and I do agree, If I was pulling heavy dump trailers, flatbeds, heavy enclosed or campers/travel trailers absolutely. Given my low weight requirements I still have a safety margin.
Was leaning towards the diesel for improved mileage as well as a heavier front end. I dont tow heavy, but probably do about 3000-4000km each winter for snowmobiling, about 10k throughout the summer between ATV'ing and motocross. So having a truck without such a large mpg penalty would be welcomed over what I have now.

I opted for the gas for the simplicity, lack of emissions complexity and lower cost of gas over diesel. However, I have given up less weight in the front that in my experience feels to better balance the ride when towing. I can compare with my dads '20 6.7 350 lariat.
As for my experience with the Ford. As mentioned above, I get that every manufacture and model has its issues. It is bound to occur based on the quantity of vehicles being produced. But when you start running into issue after issue, especially when a lot of them are lack workmanship quality or just cheap materials and engineering. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I will admit as well, I should have never purchased the Tremor. The 4.30's although decent for making up that lack of diesel torque do not lend well to overall MPG.s And for me, this truck is a daily driver.
Not sure what you mean by increased mileage. If you do the math on gas vs diesel from an mpg stand point, they are very similar in cost per mile. Diesel is 1.50 per gallon higher right now where I'm at. The only real benefit I see is the distance you can travel between fill ups. That is my biggest gripe with the small gas tank that comes with the short box rams and no option to increase it.

Dave01

Reaction score
Agree with the several posts above, with the 6.4 and 31 gallon tank getting 12-14 mpg it just isn't much range.

Your comment about the 7.3 gas with 4.30 rear end ... it's not the gear ratio. It's that, like the 6.4, when you have a big displacement V8 putting out over 400 HP and Ft.-lbs., pushing a 7,000 lb.-ish truck, you just aren't going to be able to get better mpg. Rear end ratio may make a minor impact, of course large tires and lift would reduce mileage, but IMO they are just going to be 14 mpg vehicles.

I'm not enjoying going to the pump so often, but I don't at all regret not getting the diesel. And I'm a diesel guy. I'm just really enjoying the 6.4 plus 8 speed powertrain.

AJ608

Reaction score
Nice you can get a larger GAS tank in your truck. That is one gripe I have. Is that the 36gallon tank is not enough on these trucks when towing. There is only one aftermarket option available that just released this fall. Would cost over 4k to purchase between exchange rate, shipping, import fees, yada yada.

Anyways. Looking forward to anyone else with further experience on making a shift from a ford to ram and any regrets they may or things they are/were disappointed with in the change.
My Ford has a 32gal and it's about 275-300 mi to a tank
In the C&C Ram truck I built online you can get 75 gal lol

My only interior gripe in the Ford vs Ram is no telescoping wheel. I'm tall and it's not the end of the world but it could be better for sure.
Steering feel in the Ram is too light (personal preference)

notamos

Reaction score
Nice conversation, and relevant to me right now. I have a 22 Tremor (7.3) that just landed. I'm having second thoughts and am considering a 6.7 Rebel. I need need something that is decent offroad and tows well. I only tow ~9k lbs but have a TALL trailer with some serious wind drag. Combine that with towing weekly throughout WY and CO, the 7.3 worries me.

I did a rather extensive cost comparison between the two - the diesel will cost me ~.27/mile where as the gasser will cost ~.22/mile based on current fuel prices.

I had a 20 Power Wagon (6.4/8sp) and HATED towing with it. The tongue weight killed it and the power was lacking in the mountains. Not to mention how high that engine liked to rev. However, I didn't have any issues with it through 18k miles and it was stellar offroad. Not fire road riding either.

tchur1

Reaction score
I was between an f250 tremor 6.7 powerstroke and the 3500 Ho limited I ended up ordering when buying a new truck a year ago. There were 3 main reasons I went ram over ford and I haven’t regretted it at all.
1) the interior is far superior IMO when compared to the ford. Quality of materials, fit and finish, and overall tech were much better.
2) the Cummins w/ Aisin (while sluggish when unloaded) is such a solid and reliable drivetrain when towing. Hook something up and it just pulls like a freight train. I love it.
3) you can actually order them under invoice. All the ford dealers wanted msrp on an order where as I got the ram for 4% under invoice.

Now for your specific use case, the 2500 w/ Cummins sounds like a great fit. You don’t have heavy towing requirements and should be able to stay within your limits pretty easily. The other thing to consider is that the gvwr is artificially deflated to 10k for registration purposes. Each axle is rated for 6k plus, giving you significantly more capability in a 2500 than they are rated for. Considering you’re towing well under 10k, the 2500 will be great.

Lastly, Ram redesigned the parts of the 68rfe that had issues which has greatly reduced the reliability problems with that trans over the last few years. Yes people still have issues but the frequency seems far less often then older generations.

IMO you’ll be happy with the transition to the Ram.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Since OP is in Canada, consider if you would delete this truck. New '22 and probably '23 been locked up and no one has cracked the ECM yet so you might want to consider the previous years.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Since OP is in Canada, consider if you would delete this truck. New '22 and probably '23 been locked up and no one has cracked the ECM yet so you might want to consider the previous years.

Kind of. While no one has cracked the ECM there is a way around this and tuning for the 22, but it's Very expensive and requires the ECM to be swapped. Also word on the street is there is a new flash for the 19-22 trucks that locks the ECM as well so don't let a dealer do any work on them.

121x

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by increased mileage. If you do the math on gas vs diesel from an mpg stand point, they are very similar in cost per mile. Diesel is 1.50 per gallon higher right now where I'm at. The only real benefit I see is the distance you can travel between fill ups. That is my biggest gripe with the small gas tank that comes with the short box rams and no option to increase it.
Cost, maybe. Convenience, I easily give it the diesel! If I can only average 14.5 mpg empty with a light foot and 9-10mpg towing. And the diesel gets 13-14mpg towing and 19-20mpg or better unloaded (based on MY USE CASE experiences with a '20 6.7 PS), that is a win to me. The cost of diesel right now is elevated, but there is no way that is sustainable. The entire transportation industry relies on it for one. Think of what runs on diesel - transport trucks, heavy equipment, agricultural equipment, cargo ships, etc. The current prices are unmanageable and will come back down. To a level less then or on par with gasoline? Not sure on that one. Regardless, when I can put a 50 gallon tank on a diesel and get 1300 KMs of range and the best I can do is a 35 gallon tank on a gas truck and get 700KM range (not towing mind you), without spending over 3800 dollars Canadian for the only 1 50 gallon tank available for the gas SD, which already gets at least 30% less mpg, the additional expense of diesel maintenance does not necessarily outweigh the cost difference and defintely not the convenience factor of having to worry about fuel stops that can accommodate a gas truck with a 27+ ft trailer. Maybe my views are a little different. I am not hurting for money and can afford the fuel and the necessary upkeep. Not saying I want to squander my money, but trying to make that determination now is the challenge. I would argue as well that the gas HD's with a lighter front end do not feel as planted on the road and from my experience are more subjected to trailer sway and being pushed around more so than the diesel trucks I have driven. I am not sure if the Ram's or GM's are that way, but it is definitely noticable with the ford 7.3 vs 6.7.

121x

Reaction score
I am in Ontario. Deletes are illegal and steep penalties are possible. In fact they can yank your plates on the spot. Other provinces are more lenient. I believe Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta do not enforce these laws. I may be wrong though.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I am in Ontario. Deletes are illegal and steep penalties are possible. In fact they can yank your plates on the spot. Other provinces are more lenient. I believe Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta do not enforce these laws. I may be wrong though.
Yes of course it's illegal, but I've never heard of it being enforced anywhere in the private sector.

121x

Reaction score
Agree with the several posts above, with the 6.4 and 31 gallon tank getting 12-14 mpg it just isn't much range.

Your comment about the 7.3 gas with 4.30 rear end ... it's not the gear ratio. It's that, like the 6.4, when you have a big displacement V8 putting out over 400 HP and Ft.-lbs., pushing a 7,000 lb.-ish truck, you just aren't going to be able to get better mpg. Rear end ratio may make a minor impact, of course large tires and lift would reduce mileage, but IMO they are just going to be 14 mpg vehicles.

I'm not enjoying going to the pump so often, but I don't at all regret not getting the diesel. And I'm a diesel guy. I'm just really enjoying the 6.4 plus 8 speed powertrain.
Thats a fair point. And although I may be nit picking, the 4.30 ratio definitely does not help unless heavy towing is on your agenda. When you are looking for any additional MPG you can get when also used a daily driver, every little bit does help. Knowing what I know now, I would have went with a non-tremor with a 3.55 or 3.73 or whatever the higher options are. The tremor does not lend itself well to MPG with it's high stance, no front air dam (whether that helps much or not) and the lower gearing. But you dont know what you dont know. And at the time I ordered, September of '21, there were not many 7.3 Tremors on the road so direct feedback from owners wasn't much of an option. And typically the feedback often seems biased positive, I think more so because of the bias - "I spent 80K US on a truck, I feel the need to fool myself into thinking I am happy with it even I am not". Unfortunately that does not bode well for those looking for honest feedback.

So I agree, the gearing alone is not the only factor but I bet it easily accounts for 1-2mpg difference alone, not factoring in the tires, and aerodynamics (or lack there of) haha.

121x

Reaction score
Yes of course it's illegal, but I've never heard of it being enforced anywhere in the private sector.
Well assuming you are not registered for commercial use or at least displaying the yellow window sticker, maybe. Otherwise the MTO could pull you over whenever they want for an on-spot inspection. Does it happen? Yes, it does but not often. Likewise now that Ontario has done away with an annual inspection for vehicles older than 5 years or whatever it was, you could likely fly under the radar much more so. Guess it depends on the likehood of being found out versus the potential penalty.

121x

Reaction score
Actually, question on this. Is this applicable to the 2500's with the standard 6 3/4 ft box or are you referring to like a 1/2 ton ecodiesel? I was under the impression that the standard box length HDs could be outfitted with a 50 gallon tank and the 8ft (or whatever ram offers (sorry not sure)) could go up to 70 gallons?

kevin588127

Reaction score
Actually, question on this. Is this applicable to the 2500's with the standard 6 3/4 ft box or are you referring to like a 1/2 ton ecodiesel? I was under the impression that the standard box length HDs could be outfitted with a 50 gallon tank and the 8ft (or whatever ram offers (sorry not sure)) could go up to 70 gallons?
Gas 2500 rams. The 6.5' beds only get a 33 gallon tank. The 8' beds can get a 50. I think the diesel is the same but I believe there are aftermarket options. Either way, the diesel will get you more range due to the slightly better mpg. It will not save you any money at the current prices.

ollicat

Reaction score
Nice you can get a larger GAS tank in your truck. That is one gripe I have. Is that the 36gallon tank is not enough on these trucks when towing. There is only one aftermarket option available that just released this fall. Would cost over 4k to purchase between exchange rate, shipping, import fees, yada yada.

Anyways. Looking forward to anyone else with further experience on making a shift from a ford to ram and any regrets they may or things they are/were disappointed with in the change.
Please tell me about this new aftermarket fuel tank you mentioned. Website?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Gas 2500 rams. The 6.5' beds only get a 33 gallon tank. The 8' beds can get a 50. I think the diesel is the same but I believe there are aftermarket options. Either way, the diesel will get you more range due to the slightly better mpg. It will not save you any money at the current prices.
You can’t currently get the 50 gal tank in long bed 2500s either.

121x

Reaction score
Please tell me about this new aftermarket fuel tank you mentioned. Website?
Transferflow 58 gallon. Looks like they took them off the website again while producing more. Here is more information though if you are interested. Specific to the gas SD's.

Users who are viewing this thread