Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching From Ford?

121x

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have been browsing the forums over the past couple weeks trying to glean as much information about the RAM HD's as possible. I currently own a '22 F250 Platinum Tremor with the 7.3L. I am looking at potentially trading it for a '20-'21 2500 Limited with the 6.7L. I will say that when I ordered it was between the RAM and the Ford. My familiarity over 15+ years of Ford ownership along with experience with the 6.7 Powerstroke SD's (even though I went gas) won me over. As I more or less knew what I was getting for that money versus a possible gamble.

I realize there will be bias here given this is a brand focused forum, but I was curious if anyone else has changed from a Ford SuperDuty and what your experience has been after the honeymoon phase. I am going to be honest, I am bit disappointed with the F250. Lots of issues with it from day one. I am now a year as of today with 33K KM on it. I regret not having gone with the diesel, had I known the 7.3L would be what it is, I would have went with the PowerStroke. It is a decent, but the lack of front-end weight feels less planted to the road when towing. There are other issues as well, mainly around build quality and the fact I have had it in the shop 7 times now since new. 360 camera crapped out in the first week, took 3 months to replace. Steering alignment, multiple adjustments, steering motor replaced, AC condenser replaced, huge rattle from rear-end corrected, 20K rear shock replacement, annoying rattle on acceleration, etc. Just lots of **** that a new 100k+ truck should be having to deal with.

Anyways, apologies. Does anyone have any experience that would dictate I would not be happy or would potentially be making a mistake going from a 250 plat. to a 2500 Limited?

Thanks

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have been browsing the forums over the past couple weeks trying to glean as much information about the RAM HD's as possible. I currently own a '22 F250 Platinum Tremor with the 7.3L. I am looking at potentially trading it for a '20-'21 2500 Limited with the 6.7L. I will say that when I ordered it was between the RAM and the Ford. My familiarity over 15+ years of Ford ownership along with experience with the 6.7 Powerstroke SD's (even though I went gas) won me over. As I more or less knew what I was getting for that money versus a possible gamble.

I realize there will be bias here given this is a brand focused forum, but I was curious if anyone else has changed from a Ford SuperDuty and what your experience has been after the honeymoon phase. I am going to be honest, I am bit disappointed with the F250. Lots of issues with it from day one. I am now a year as of today with 33K KM on it. I regret not having gone with the diesel, had I known the 7.3L would be what it is, I would have went with the PowerStroke. It is a decent, but the lack of front-end weight feels less planted to the road when towing. There are other issues as well, mainly around build quality and the fact I have had it in the shop 7 times now since new. 360 camera crapped out in the first week, took 3 months to replace. Steering alignment, multiple adjustments, steering motor replaced, AC condenser replaced, huge rattle from rear-end corrected, 20K rear shock replacement, annoying rattle on acceleration, etc. Just lots of **** that a new 100k+ truck should be having to deal with.

Anyways, apologies. Does anyone have any experience that would dictate I would not be happy or would potentially be making a mistake going from a 250 plat. to a 2500 Limited?

Thanks
was a ford owner for 25 years...had 5 ford trucks and this 22 is my first ram....love it...my truck isnt my daily driver though so i use it to tow and haul stuff and built it accordingly...the power is fantastic and i am impressed with the truck...towed 2 jeeps on a GN trailer to moab from indy and when i hit the mountains west of denver it pulled the hills significantly better than i thought it would....im not a fan of fords 10 speed transmission so the 6 speed aisin fit the bill i was looking for...these new gen 5's are much more quiet on the inside than the gen 4 and its very comfortable.....my plans for how i haul my off road rig have changed so i am ordering a 23 srw and trading in the 22 drw....almost the same setup just a srw...i too almost got the ford out of blind loyalty but the dealers and the components that ford use currently made the decision to switch easy....the ram isnt the fastest truck so if you want fast get the ford...but towing and exhaust brake and transmission as well as injection pump go to the ram....jmo....

Bcrouse

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks
Depending on your payload requirements you might want to look at 3500’s.

3/4 ton diesels dont make sense if you tow. They are all sub-2K payload, which is pretty easy to go over with a few people in the cab and a trailer.

Dave01

Reaction score
My friend has a '20 F250 Powerstroke that I ride in often and drive occasionally. Really nice truck, power is beyond impressive. But for me, the interior of my '21 RAM is much better, dash makes more sense, fit and finish quite a bit better. I went with the 6.4 so I can't comment on the diesel, but from my reading I'd choose a 6.4 and 8 speed over the 7.3 and 10 speed, I'm really impressed with how my truck drives.

Drive a few. When I was looking I was leaning toward GM, but once I got inside a few RAM's my mind was made up.

121x

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
My towing requirements are really not in 1ton territory. I had contemplated it. If I were to do it over again with another Ford I would opt for the 350 over the 250 as they ride the same but give a beefier rear end. I have the tremor which has the 350 rear-end. Not that it matters in my case, but could help with resale? My understanding on the RAMS is that the 3500 is in fact sprung stiffer than the 2500? I tow a 27' vnose and a few 16' open trailers. So nothing drastic. In all actuality I could probably get away with a 1/2 ton, but its not whether a 1/2 ton can pull loads, its whether it can stop and stay planted on the road when towing. Ride quality is an important piece in my decision.

I did actually drive a RAM 2500 before purchasing the 250 and I liked it! But the Ford just felt like home. At this point I do feel some regret in that I did not go the RAM route. I have also driven a few GMs and for me I find the seat cushions are too shallow (not enough leg support). I am 6'3 with 36" inseams so that matters to me. That and there was no way I was going to spend that kind of money for 10+ year old antiquated interior.

I would like the mileage of the diesel as well as the capability to install a 40 or 50 gallon fuel tank. I run enough miles that a diesel would work out better. I know guys averaging 18+ mpg on their '20+ ram 6.7's. I am lucky to average 14.5mpg on my 7.3 gasser. Towing, it drops to the 9-10 range (4.30 ratio on the tremor).

Would be curious how the gas Ram HD does with mpgs, but will likely still end up going the diesel route anyways as I see very few gas HD Rams.

Thanks for the input so far.

Dave01

Reaction score
I think there are more 6.4 RAM 2500's than you might realize. You'd be hard pressed to get 14.5 mpg, at least from my experience.

kevin588127

Reaction score
If you are wanting to stay in a 2500, I wouldn't even consider the ram diesel. You will have the power to pull but won't have the payload to do so. Furthermore, I wouldn't go with the standard output because of the transmission. The final thing is that the 23 ordering process seems to be a complete **** show. Prices are up, options are down, orders being altered or cancelled. Just my .02 but I'd find a leftover 22 or wait and see what ram does for 24.

121x

Reaction score
If you are wanting to stay in a 2500, I wouldn't even consider the ram diesel. You will have the power to pull but won't have the payload to do so. Furthermore, I wouldn't go with the standard output because of the transmission. The final thing is that the 23 ordering process seems to be a complete **** show. Prices are up, options are down, orders being altered or cancelled. Just my .02 but I'd find a leftover 22 or wait and see what ram does for 24.
Can you elaborate a bit on the payload concerns? I do not tow commercially or for work, so not super concerned if I were ever slightly over registered weight capacity on occasion. My towing weight is *maybe* 6500-7000lbs maximum. Usually between 4500-5500lbs. Usually less then 600lbs combined weight of in cab passengers on a full load. Not sure a 3500 would be necessary nor desired if the ride quality suffers in comparison with the 2500.

Is the transmission not a factory recall item? Assuming the 5yr/100k power train warranty, it should be covered, no?

And to your point, in fact I am looking for used. My truck was paid for in cash, so no payments. The only downside is as everyone knows, the 7.3 does not pull the same price as the diesel,s so I am going to end up paying out of pocket regardless of which direction I go. So not really interested in carrying a 40k loan on a brand new '23.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Depending on your payload requirements you might want to look at 3500’s.

3/4 ton diesels dont make sense if you tow. They are all sub-2K payload, which is pretty easy to go over with a few people in the cab and a trailer.
That goes for all 3/4 ton diesels not just RAM.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Have you driven a Ram HD Diesel? If so I would before you make the purchase. While it tows great, coming from a Ford (especially the PS) the inline 6 is going to "feel" like a slug to you. The Ford is a much more powerful/quick truck to drive compared to the Ram. That's usually the biggest complaint of people coming from a Ford.

As far as problems etc, they all have them. For every broken Ford I can find a broken Ram so pick your poison.

I do like the Ram interior better though. But Ford has more room in the crew cab configuration then the Ram.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Can you elaborate a bit on the payload concerns? I do not tow commercially or for work, so not super concerned if I were ever slightly over registered weight capacity on occasion. My towing weight is *maybe* 6500-7000lbs maximum. Usually between 4500-5500lbs. Usually less then 600lbs combined weight of in cab passengers on a full load. Not sure a 3500 would be necessary nor desired if the ride quality suffers in comparison with the 2500.

Is the transmission not a factory recall item? Assuming the 5yr/100k power train warranty, it should be covered, no?

And to your point, in fact I am looking for used. My truck was paid for in cash, so no payments. The only downside is as everyone knows, the 7.3 does not pull the same price as the diesel,s so I am going to end up paying out of pocket regardless of which direction I go. So not really interested in carrying a 40k loan on a brand new '23.
Most 3/4 tons with the diesel have a payload capacity under 2k lbs. That means your tongue or pin weight plus truck cargo and passenger weight cannot exceed that. That is about 500 lbs more than a 1/2 ton with max tow package. It totally negates the purpose of having the diesel. For example, if you were to tow a 15000 lb trailer, your tongue weight should be in the neighborhood of 1500 lbs. Now add two passengers and a minimal amount of luggage and you are at your max. I believe Ford and Chevy can be ordered with a higher GVWR. Most people just ignore this fact and buy a 2500 and overload them. A ram 3/4 ton gas truck has a payload of about 1k more due to the engine being lighter.

For the weight you are pulling, I'm surprised to hear you aren't happy with the Ford. I'm pulling a 10k toy hauler and I'm more than happy with the 6.4 8speed. If I was getting closer to 14k or pulling more frequently, I would be looking at a diesel. As for now, the gas engine does what I need it to do. It is cheaper to buy and maintain. The added efficiency of the diesel is lost now that diesel fuel is so expensive. I don't have def problems or regents to worry about and the gas truck is more pleasant to drive unloaded.

As for the 6speed in the ram, they have plenty of issues. Google 68rfe issues. I looked at a few used trucks before buying my new one. 3 trucks, all under 130k, all had rebuilt or remanned transmissions in them. The HO Rams come with an Aisin. Here is a decent article about them:

I guess your story makes me feel good about choosing the truck I did. I was hearing nothing but glowing reviews about the ford's and was kind of kicking myself for not giving them a closer look. When I bought mine, you couldn't find a ford on the lot to test drive and dealers couldn't give an estimate of when an ordered truck would come in. With the ram, I knew what I was getting and was pretty positive it would do what I wanted it to do.

Dave01

Reaction score
I do like the Ram interior better though. But Ford has more room in the crew cab configuration then the Ram.
That is pretty noticable, I was just in the back seat of my friend's F250 the other day, huge space behind the front seats. Not that my Ram is cramped, plenty of room, I was almost wondering why Ford has so much there.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I drive a mega cab, love the backseat space! I could get by with a crew cab if I had to and would have ordered a CC if I wanted a 8' box.
CCSB has 149" wheel base
MCSB has 160"
So 11" extra inside the MC vs CC

CCLB has 169"
Ford SD has 176"
So 7" extra inside Ford SD, assuming the engine bay is similar length to RAM HD.

AJ608

Reaction score
I like the Ram interior better for sure. MY 6.4 truck gets about 14-16 mpg empty depending on speed. Towing my Jeep it was about 10-11 mpg. With the 52g tank it's not bad IMO
My 7.3 (550) isn't comparable it's about 19k lbs-20k lbs depending on what's in the bed but it get's 9-10 mpg

121x

Reaction score
Have you driven a Ram HD Diesel? If so I would before you make the purchase. While it tows great, coming from a Ford (especially the PS) the inline 6 is going to "feel" like a slug to you. The Ford is a much more powerful/quick truck to drive compared to the Ram. That's usually the biggest complaint of people coming from a Ford.

As far as problems etc, they all have them. For every broken Ford I can find a broken Ram so pick your poison.

I have. I did before I ordered the F250. I am not as concerned about acceleration. The older I get the easier I am on the pedal anyways. IMO the 7.3 godzilla is not at all like the 6.7 PS in terms of low end torque and acceleration. So honestly, the RAM 6.7 does not scare me.

Don't get me wrong, I get every truck has problems. Some more so than others unfortunately, but a lot of the issues I have been dealing with have been piss poor quality control and lack of pride in assembly. That leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you spend what these trucks are worth, especially when we already pay a 20%+ premium in Canada over US prices.

I have always liked the RAM interior. The only choice for me with the Ford was the '22 model with the 12" screen. The prior model years look dated in my opinion. Guess it depends on what draws your attention.

121x

Reaction score
I gotcha now. I understand what you mean and I do agree, If I was pulling heavy dump trailers, flatbeds, heavy enclosed or campers/travel trailers absolutely. Given my low weight requirements I still have a safety margin.
Was leaning towards the diesel for improved mileage as well as a heavier front end. I dont tow heavy, but probably do about 3000-4000km each winter for snowmobiling, about 10k throughout the summer between ATV'ing and motocross. So having a truck without such a large mpg penalty would be welcomed over what I have now.

I opted for the gas for the simplicity, lack of emissions complexity and lower cost of gas over diesel. However, I have given up less weight in the front that in my experience feels to better balance the ride when towing. I can compare with my dads '20 6.7 350 lariat.
As for my experience with the Ford. As mentioned above, I get that every manufacture and model has its issues. It is bound to occur based on the quantity of vehicles being produced. But when you start running into issue after issue, especially when a lot of them are lack workmanship quality or just cheap materials and engineering. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I will admit as well, I should have never purchased the Tremor. The 4.30's although decent for making up that lack of diesel torque do not lend well to overall MPG.s And for me, this truck is a daily driver.

Most 3/4 tons with the diesel have a payload capacity under 2k lbs. That means your tongue or pin weight plus truck cargo and passenger weight cannot exceed that. That is about 500 lbs more than a 1/2 ton with max tow package. It totally negates the purpose of having the diesel. For example, if you were to tow a 15000 lb trailer, your tongue weight should be in the neighborhood of 1500 lbs. Now add two passengers and a minimal amount of luggage and you are at your max. I believe Ford and Chevy can be ordered with a higher GVWR. Most people just ignore this fact and buy a 2500 and overload them. A ram 3/4 ton gas truck has a payload of about 1k more due to the engine being lighter.

For the weight you are pulling, I'm surprised to hear you aren't happy with the Ford. I'm pulling a 10k toy hauler and I'm more than happy with the 6.4 8speed. If I was getting closer to 14k or pulling more frequently, I would be looking at a diesel. As for now, the gas engine does what I need it to do. It is cheaper to buy and maintain. The added efficiency of the diesel is lost now that diesel fuel is so expensive. I don't have def problems or regents to worry about and the gas truck is more pleasant to drive unloaded.

As for the 6speed in the ram, they have plenty of issues. Google 68rfe issues. I looked at a few used trucks before buying my new one. 3 trucks, all under 130k, all had rebuilt or remanned transmissions in them. The HO Rams come with an Aisin. Here is a decent article about them:

I guess your story makes me feel good about choosing the truck I did. I was hearing nothing but glowing reviews about the ford's and was kind of kicking myself for not giving them a closer look. When I bought mine, you couldn't find a ford on the lot to test drive and dealers couldn't give an estimate of when an ordered truck would come in. With the ram, I knew what I was getting and was pretty positive it would do what I wanted it to do.

121x

Reaction score
I like the Ram interior better for sure. MY 6.4 truck gets about 14-16 mpg empty depending on speed. Towing my Jeep it was about 10-11 mpg. With the 52g tank it's not bad IMO
My 7.3 (550) isn't comparable it's about 19k lbs-20k lbs depending on what's in the bed but it get's 9-10 mpg
Nice you can get a larger GAS tank in your truck. That is one gripe I have. Is that the 36gallon tank is not enough on these trucks when towing. There is only one aftermarket option available that just released this fall. Would cost over 4k to purchase between exchange rate, shipping, import fees, yada yada.

Anyways. Looking forward to anyone else with further experience on making a shift from a ford to ram and any regrets they may or things they are/were disappointed with in the change.

Users who are viewing this thread