Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch Column Shifter

deanfx

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 23 Bighorn with the urethane column shifter. Does anyone know if I can change that our to the bushed aluminum one from a Laramie without too much trouble? Can I just change the ends or is an entire process and remove the rubber boot with some linkage work. Thanks for any info.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 23 Bighorn with the urethane column shifter. Does anyone know if I can change that our to the bushed aluminum one from a Laramie without too much trouble? Can I just change the ends or is an entire process and remove the rubber boot with some linkage work. Thanks for any info.

The shifter arm just bolts onto the column mounted linkage. Most of us have had to tighten that bolt...

Reaction score
Funny I was literally going to ask if anyone’s done this, I want to get the leather wrapped limited shifter for my Laramie

Found the part numbers someone posted but was wondering if it’s just plug and go

20Limited3500

Reaction score
The shifter arm just bolts onto the column mounted linkage. Most of us have had to tighten that bolt...
@Brutal_HO
Did yours come loose? I only ask because after getting my clock spring replaced to fix heated steering wheel intermittent operation, I feel like my shift lever is very sloppy now. I don't drive my truck everyday since getting a commuter last year. But I don't remember it being so sloppy.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Brutal_HO
Did yours come loose? I only ask because after getting my clock spring replaced to fix heated steering wheel intermittent operation, I feel like my shift lever is very sloppy now. I don't drive my truck everyday since getting a commuter last year. But I don't remember it being so sloppy.

It did. Tightened up and it's been fine since.

Reaction score
Appreciate that, that's the one I ordered this morning. Should be here in a couple days. It was $97 plus some tax.
Cool yea should be an easy swap. Looking forward to it. It’s funny when I had the F250 the last thing I looked at was the shifter, but the rams interior is so much nicer, the urethane shifter looks out of place.

deanfx

Reaction score
Cool yea should be an easy swap. Looking forward to it. It’s funny when I had the F250 the last thing I looked at was the shifter, but the rams interior is so much nicer, the urethane shifter looks out of place.
It does look out of place. Let me know if you get yours on before me and if there are any roadblocks lol

deanfx

Reaction score
Ive had this ordered since June 25 and my dealer is having issues getting it in. Go figure

steve49

Reaction score
Does the leather wrapped shift lever come with a leather boot or the cheap rubber type one?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the leather wrapped shift lever come with a leather boot or the cheap rubber type one?

Cheap "rubber." Probably sourced from the same maker as Dorman, their stuff is crap.

There's a thread here for an aftermarket option that was custom made with help from a member and the seller/maker.

Or you could just do what others have and put a Crown Royal bag on it. :D

deanfx

Reaction score
Got my leather wrapped shifter in today and changed it out. Pretty simple install. Looks and feels way better.

Users who are viewing this thread