Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway bar disconnect kit

wgrippo

Reaction score
Hi,

I am living in Baja California, Mexico - we have been spending quite a lot of time camping and exploring the backroads. Lots of sand and washes, but also some very rocky mountain roads.

My 2018 Ram 2500 (4x4 package), stock everything but with Falken Wildpeak tires, has been great off-road, especially dropping the pressure down to 30-40 psi it does amazingly well in the sand and arroyos, and still keeps up good over the rocks as well.

But the suspension is so stiff!! I would like to soften the ride, and I'm thinking disconnecting the sway bars would be a good start. I still take in on the highway, so I'm looking for a solution that can be disconnected / connected pretty easily.

I have seen a couple sway bar disconnect kits online. Any recommendations here? Do most just disconnect the rear?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230420_131102752.jpg
    PXL_20230420_131102752.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230420_230223579.jpg
    PXL_20230420_230223579.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 12

flan

Reaction score
Some have disconnected them completely, others go with a thuren or carli. I don’t know of any electronic disconnecting other than the one that comes factory on the pw.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For the last 30 years i have removed the front swaybars from my solid axle vehicles its so much better driving experience. I would recommend the same. It does not hurt the handling in any negative way.

wgrippo

Reaction score
Thanks. I disconnected the rear sway bar yesterday, and am pretty happy with it, definitely an improvement off-road. I will try the front as well, because there is still quite a lot of twisting over bumps. Maybe a disconnect isn't needed if it still feels ok on the highway.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks. I disconnected the rear sway bar yesterday, and am pretty happy with it, definitely an improvement off-road. I will try the front as well, because there is still quite a lot of twisting over bumps. Maybe a disconnect isn't needed if it still feels ok on the highway.
Keep the rear and ditch the front in my opinion as the rear needs the extra stability with a load and the narrow spring stance

wgrippo

Reaction score
Ok, so I removed the front sway bar and the rear is still off - what a nice change! So much softer off road. Even the washboard stuff is better.

I haven't tried the highway yet. Maybe I'll put the rear back on if I feel it needs it. Will be hauling a pretty heavy load of water next week, so I'll see how it goes. The springs are pretty stiff back there.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok, so I removed the front sway bar and the rear is still off - what a nice change! So much softer off road. Even the washboard stuff is better.

I haven't tried the highway yet. Maybe I'll put the rear back on if I feel it needs it. Will be hauling a pretty heavy load of water next week, so I'll see how it goes. The springs are pretty stiff back there.

They ride pretty good with a load of water. The full tote is 2150lbs
IMG_7497.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread