Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension set up for towing

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade/improve the suspension for towing and ride quality (yeah, I know, they may be mutually exclusive), not looking to lift/level or anything but I will likely be getting some 35s (fwiw). As a point of reference, we are looking at travel trailers with no more than a 10k GVWR, so nothing huge and really aside from some forest service roads, no 'real' off-roading.

I've about read myself into a circle trying to figure out what would certainly be an improvement vs what would be nice.
It just seems every thread, video, article is about suspension components for lifting and very little about towing.

Wiling to hear what folks have for suggestions.

Last edited:

waveslayer

Reaction score
Kings suspension , and airbags. Look at the Carli kits, to keep stock

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

jetrinka

Reaction score
For 35's and towing like that I'd be keeping the suspension stock other than some good bags in the back to help keep things stable and level.

waveslayer

Reaction score
For 35's and towing like that I'd be keeping the suspension stock other than some good bags in the back to help keep things stable and level.
factory suspension won't improve the ride quality. He wants to improve the ride quality and towing... To do that you need tuned suspension, like Fox Tuned by Carli and or Kings. these will dramatically change the ride of your truck. Also get rid of the 20's if you have them, go 18's. Tire Pressure as well will be a big factor. With the airbags you will get better towing stability for the weight, but not improving the daily drive.

Air bags, you want the air bag cradles, so you do not ruin the ride quality on and off road. the new suspension will give a bit more travel, the cradles will allow you to take advantage of the travel gains. Most guys on here have no clue on suspension and ride quality. take a look at the trophy trucks, they are not lifted, they have TRAVEL. going to an aftermarket tuned suspension will enhance the travel and ride quality.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
factory suspension won't improve the ride quality. He wants to improve the ride quality and towing... To do that you need tuned suspension, like Fox Tuned by Carli and or Kings. these will dramatically change the ride of your truck. Also get rid of the 20's if you have them, go 18's. Tire Pressure as well will be a big factor. With the airbags you will get better towing stability for the weight, but not improving the daily drive.

Air bags, you want the air bag cradles, so you do not ruin the ride quality on and off road. the new suspension will give a bit more travel, the cradles will allow you to take advantage of the travel gains. Most guys on here have no clue on suspension and ride quality. take a look at the trophy trucks, they are not lifted, they have TRAVEL. going to an aftermarket tuned suspension will enhance the travel and ride quality.
Competition trucks are irrelevant unless you suggest he goes long arm suspension and nitrogen coil overs also adding active bump stops and limiting straps, trophy trucks also dont have to carry a lot of weight… you cant add travel without adding lift or removing parts for your axle to frame clearance and with short arms your travel is very limited anyhow

To the OP one thing to try is lose the front sway bar it does nothing for you other than make the ride rather awful. I have been running all my trucks without front sway bars for almost 30 years with no ill effect even during emergency maneuvers. It significantly improves the ride allowing your axle to react to defects in the road such as pot holes without disturbing the other side of the vehicle

waveslayer

Reaction score
Competition trucks are irrelevant unless you suggest he goes long arm suspension and nitrogen coil overs also adding active bump stops and limiting straps, trophy trucks also dont have to carry a lot of weight… you cant add travel without adding lift or removing parts for your axle to frame clearance and with short arms your travel is very limited anyhow

To the OP one thing to try is lose the front sway bar it does nothing for you other than make the ride rather awful. I have been running all my trucks without front sway bars for almost 30 years with no ill effect even during emergency maneuvers. It significantly improves the ride allowing your axle to react to defects in the road such as pot holes without disturbing the other side of the vehicle
actually my suggestion is very relevant, to improve the ride quality eliminate the factory suspension and get tuned shocks... I used an example, which you proved my point. most guys don't understand suspension. You can add travel without adding lift.... it's called Down travel, which will increase your overall travel. Adding tuned suspension from Carli via Fox or the Ram tuned Kings will add overall travel. Increase the down travel you get a better quality ride by allowing longer shocks work more improving the ride... to keep it simple. No one is talking about long arm kits, bump stops, which I am big fan of, but not on a ram.

OP, I would even suggest reviewing CJC's videos on youtube, they have a ton of info and explain it well for 99% of HD users.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
actually my suggestion is very relevant, to improve the ride quality eliminate the factory suspension and get tuned shocks... I used an example, which you proved my point. most guys don't understand suspension. You can add travel without adding lift.... it's called Down travel, which will increase your overall travel. Adding tuned suspension from Carli via Fox or the Ram tuned Kings will add overall travel. Increase the down travel you get a better quality ride by allowing longer shocks work more improving the ride... to keep it simple. No one is talking about long arm kits, bump stops, which I am big fan of, but not on a ram.

OP, I would even suggest reviewing CJC's videos on youtube, they have a ton of info and explain it well for 99% of HD users.
The factory arms will not allow any more droop yes you can run longer shocks but they are not the limiting factor. The factory arms are in my opinion

I guess its a matter of perspective to me a set of Bilstiens and removal of the front sway bar makes a big difference but i also use my truck far past what most people do so i will not run any of the aftermarket suspension that limits the weight capacity i do have a set of bags but only for stability as the springs are far to inboard for my liking.

I understand suspention more than most after decades in the jeep world building 4/3 link suspension for buddies rigs who competed in rock crawling/ rock bouncing events along with my own built yj which i regrettably sold

Reactions: SL1

jetrinka

Reaction score
Towing vs comfort is always a balancing act. Something must be given to improve something else.

IMO stock, w/ maybe some supporting modifications like bags and better shocks is always going to work better and for longer at more things than a heavily modified rig with a bunch of aftermarket parts that won’t be supported in 10 years when they wear out.

The trucks are plenty capable as is. Sure my PW rides great and will get me in/out of pretty much any area I am willing to go but I also know full well if I put any kind of weight behind it it’ll be dragging it’s butt like a dog being chased by a vet with a thermometer!!

Sure there may be exceptions to my rule but by and large most owners out there (and I am assuming the OP is one of these) aren’t willing to spend 15k on premium aftermarket mods to get marginally better comfort and off-road performance at the price of accelerated wear and tear/decreased fuel economy/towing usability/etc.

35’s will give added comfort and look great. Some bags and cradles will help with any load carrying. Perhaps add some Bilsteins. I’d leave it there.

SL1

Reaction score
I put a set of timbrens on mine since I use my 2500 diesel to mostly tow. It's really incredible the stability they added when under load. It does limit compression travel though. If It was me in the op's position I would do as posted above and and just add air bags with cradles. Unless i'm really wheeling the truck I wouldn't even mess with bigger tires as high as these trucks are from the factory.

Just my 5 cents(inflation)

tchur1

Reaction score
OP considering it sounds like you dont plan on towing more than 10k I think smaller wheels, bigger tires, sway bar, and a level + new shocks on all 4 corners should get you the increased ride quality you are looking for while maintaining towing capacity you are looking for. You could always add in bags w/ day stars as others have suggested for stability and to reduce sag.

Something like a carli or thuren level I think would get a decent compormise for you. Just my $.02 as everyone will have a different opinion here.

Razzman

Reaction score
OP I bought my truck exclusively for towing, no other reason otherwise I would have kept my 1500. That said when I got the truck the ride was harsh to me, I was used to my 1500 with four corner air suspension. Yeah I knew it would be rougher but I also knew I could make it better. After two weeks I installed Thuren 1" lift coils, Thuren sway bar and Fox shocks all around, I left the rear coils alone as I tow. The Limited has the 20" tires on it, while not a fan I kept them and went up in size to a 285/65R20 which has a bigger sidewall and are just under 35" at 34.8". When not towing I run 62F/50R air pressures, towing is 65/65. The truck rides almost as good as my 1500 did. Towing it's a pleasure as it's smooth as silk. I use an Equalizer e4 WD hitch, no airbags and it keeps it level and controlled. The only thing I get is occasional light porpoising over freeway joints or such. I could add air bags and cradles but don't see a need so far, but with a 10K trailer i would probably add them. Pic for reference showing level flat tow with around 400lbs in bed. One of the arrays from the VLA in New Mexico.

array.jpg

Millmutt

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade/improve the suspension for towing and ride quality (yeah, I know, they may be mutually exclusive), not looking to lift/level or anything but I will likely be getting some 35s (fwiw). As a point of reference, we are looking at travel trailers with no more than a 10k GVWR, so nothing huge and really aside from some forest service roads, no 'real' off-roading.

I've about read myself into a circle trying to figure out what would certainly be an improvement vs what would be nice.
It just seems every thread, video, article is about suspension components for lifting and very little about towing.

Wiling to hear what folks have for suggestions.
Save your money, leave it stock

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Thanks to those who responded and I will offer some responses.
As a note/clarification... while appreciate the recommendations, I am not at all interested in a Lift or a Level so most of these 'kits/packages/tuned shocks' recommended seem to be of zero use as they are all for lifted/leveled trucks.

To quickly touch on shocks... I'm seeing a preference for Fox (I'd say King as well, but they seem to fall far outside the scope of my application)
Any thoughts on Bilstein 4600 or the Rancho RS9000XL as those show up as alternatives.

On to replies....

Kings suspension , and airbags. Look at the Carli kits, to keep stock
I looked at King/Carli and I see nothing for stock trucks (unless I missed something)... everything revolves around a lift or a level, neither of which I want.
I like the idea of airbags and it was something I was considering.

Not a fan of the stock suspension (and neither is the wife)... I agree with air bags.

To do that you need tuned suspension, like Fox Tuned by Carli and or Kings. these will dramatically change the ride of your truck. Also get rid of the 20's if you have them, go 18's. Tire Pressure as well will be a big factor. With the airbags you will get better towing stability for the weight, but not improving the daily drive.
Unless I've read incorrectly, those are all for lifted/leveled trucks... neither of which I am interested in doing. And yeah, air bags...

I guess its a matter of perspective to me a set of Bilstiens and removal of the front sway bar makes a big difference but i also use my truck far past what most people do so i will not run any of the aftermarket suspension that limits the weight capacity i do have a set of bags but only for stability as the springs are far to inboard for my liking.
I'm certainly not interested in reducing/limiting my weight capacity... is that more of an issue on lifted/leveled trucks?

OP considering it sounds like you dont plan on towing more than 10k I think smaller wheels, bigger tires, sway bar, and a level + new shocks on all 4 corners should get you the increased ride quality you are looking for while maintaining towing capacity you are looking for. You could always add in bags w/ day stars as others have suggested for stability and to reduce sag.

Something like a carli or thuren level I think would get a decent compormise for you. Just my $.02 as everyone will have a different opinion here.
No level or lift... I have zero interest in them and do not like them.
I've looked at your suggestion for smaller wheels/bigger tires but the ratio difference is only a smidge over 10% between an 295/65R20 and 35x12.5R18, not sure that would be a significant difference?

OP I bought my truck exclusively for towing, no other reason otherwise I would have kept my 1500. That said when I got the truck the ride was harsh to me, I was used to my 1500 with four corner air suspension. Yeah I knew it would be rougher but I also knew I could make it better. After two weeks I installed Thuren 1" lift coils, Thuren sway bar and Fox shocks all around, I left the rear coils alone as I tow. The Limited has the 20" tires on it, while not a fan I kept them and went up in size to a 285/65R20 which has a bigger sidewall and are just under 35" at 34.8". When not towing I run 62F/50R air pressures, towing is 65/65. The truck rides almost as good as my 1500 did. Towing it's a pleasure as it's smooth as silk. I use an Equalizer e4 WD hitch, no airbags and it keeps it level and controlled. The only thing I get is occasional light porpoising over freeway joints or such. I could add air bags and cradles but don't see a need so far, but with a 10K trailer i would probably add them. Pic for reference showing level flat tow with around 400lbs in bed. One of the arrays from the VLA in New Mexico.
So aside from the level, you seem to be closest to doing what I plant to do with truck (aside from the level).... thanks for the input.

Save your money, leave it stock
That's a hard 'no', but thanks for your input.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Put 9000XLs on the heavy in it’s rear PW before the last trip, far better than the stock when towing and around town afaic.
My trailer isn’t big but with it, firewood, job box, bumper, gear, shell etc…no doubt pushing the payload limit, ran the rears pretty stiff.

tchur1

Reaction score
No level or lift... I have zero interest in them and do not like them.
I've looked at your suggestion for smaller wheels/bigger tires but the ratio difference is only a smidge over 10% between an 295/65R20 and 35x12.5R18, not sure that would be a significant difference?
My bad I missed the no level/lift piece. Thuren does make rear coils that come at stock height and are a mid rate spring that may soften the rear a bit. Pair those with airbags and 4 new shocks and you're probably in a good place. If you buy fox shocks get the ones that have adjustable rebound and compression so you can dial into your liking or Thuren probably sells a fox IFP that pairs with those rear coils.

I have not swapped my stock wheels/tires yet (planning to do so in the fall) but going from a 20" wheel to and 18" wheel and up in tire size (even if ratio is only 10% different) just gives you more sidewall and better small bump ride quality. I cant speak from personal experience but it seems that most people who make that change see a decent improvement in ride. It is the internet though so YMMV.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The 4600s are pretty good they came stock on my offroad pkg i would have put em on anyway

2manyprojects

Reaction score
Without being too redundant here, I'd suggest a Thuren torsion front sway bar, and a set of aftermarket shocks like Bilstein or Fox. Of the suspension mods I've done to my truck, the torsion sway was immediately noticeable and substantially improved the front compliance on road. It's basically a bolt on, and I've had no adverse effects with it towing.

The point of decreasing wheel size while increasing tire size is to increase the sidewall height, and gain cushioning. The percentage maybe small, but it does soften the ride. It's hard to quantify, and justify the cost of new wheels + new tires. I think that's why 17" wheels continue to be popular for our trucks.

Razzman

Reaction score
So aside from the level, you seem to be closest to doing what I plant to do with truck (aside from the level).... thanks for the input.
Let me say this, 1" coils really aren't a level. Imo the purpose for the 1" (which is their lowest) is for suspension travel with the softer front springs. If you want a smoother ride there's always concessions. The truck still has a rake, but stock had a seriously stupid rake. Not trying to change your mind, just letting you know that it's not a level lift as mine still is 1.5" higher in the rear. Look at this pic and you can tell the rear is definitely still higher even though it's parked on a slight incline. Good luck with your choices

truck.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread