Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprise and disappointment - DEF Burn rate

Birton

Reaction score
My 2021 RAM 3500 HO now has 5500 miles on the ODO. This is my first DEF vehicle and I have to say I'm very surprised at the rate I'm burning DEF.

I've read other posts and it seems like I'm running about the same rate as others but much higher than my friends 2500 Ford. It looks like he's getting about 2.5times the miles I see on my truck. He has a 7gal DEF tank and only fills every 5000 miles, during regular service.

I just had the first oil change to flush the factory stuff and the dealer said my truck is running correctly.

Does anyone know it there is a software revision/TSB out there or coming to address this?

TIA

boatdude1

Reaction score
About 3-400 miles per gallon of def on my 2021 3500 H.O. Non towing.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You can not compare anything 19+ with the older stuff new emissions standards came in to play the -18 trucks would get over double the miles on a jug of def, thats how it is

Birton

Reaction score
You can not compare anything 19+ with the older stuff new emissions standards came in to play the -18 trucks would get over double the miles on a jug of def, thats how it is
This could explain why his Ford is getting better DEF mileage.

Thank you!

SL1

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram used about 2.5 gallons in 1750 miles. Combo towing and empty. Towing was with a 6000lb travel trailer. I was running pretty easy when towing at around 60-65 mph. Towed about 700 of the 1750 miles.

flan

Reaction score
They burn about 3% of fuel consumption so if you’re towing it will definitely burn more. Just remember more DEF equals less EGR and that’s always a good thing.

sstoner911

Reaction score
My 2021 RAM 3500 HO now has 5500 miles on the ODO. This is my first DEF vehicle and I have to say I'm very surprised at the rate I'm burning DEF.

I've read other posts and it seems like I'm running about the same rate as others but much higher than my friends 2500 Ford. It looks like he's getting about 2.5times the miles I see on my truck. He has a 7gal DEF tank and only fills every 5000 miles, during regular service.

I just had the first oil change to flush the factory stuff and the dealer said my truck is running correctly.

Does anyone know it there is a software revision/TSB out there or coming to address this?

TIA
Your truck is working as designed...carry on.

Billcf7

Reaction score
I agree totally. I only filled my DEF tank twice on my 18 in 15000 km before I sold it

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I'm at 5200 miles and my DEF use is running 594 miles per gallon. That's with only 40 miles of towing my 5th wheel. In the next month or so I'll give it a good long workout and see what the mileage is while towing from sea level up to about 6500 feet and back. Some of the grades will be 10%, so it should get a good workout.

Not that it should make any difference, but I'm one of those nuts that's using only Peak Platinum DEF.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm at 5200 miles and my DEF use is running 594 miles per gallon. That's with only 40 miles of towing my 5th wheel. In the next month or so I'll give it a good long workout and see what the mileage is while towing from sea level up to about 6500 feet and back. Some of the grades will be 10%, so it should get a good workout.

Not that it should make any difference, but I'm one of those nuts that's using only Peak Platinum DEF.
Yes it makes a difference anytime the exhaust is Over a certain temp the DEF is injected to reduce NOx so when towing the truck works harder with higher exhaust temps therefor using much more DEF

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I have been expecting quite an increase in consumption once I hook up the 5th wheel. Seems around 300 miles per gallon is the average when towing.

Nd79

Reaction score
I tow every day with my truck (4,500k lbs - 14,500lbs) and have more idle time than I like. I try to limit that. I get about 850 miles for every 2.5gal jug.

I always throw a 2.5gal jug in the bed when I'm getting close to the half mark on the DEF gauge and top it off when I hit that mark. I've been resetting the trip odometer at that point to loosely track the DEF consumption.

For reference I get consistently between 9.4-11.2 MPG towing fuel consumption according to the truck and burn about 25 gal of Diesel every working day. Mine is the SO Cummins.

Users who are viewing this thread