Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sun block for front windshield?

scrmblr2

Reaction score
Hey all,
Well, over the last few weeks since the clocks have gone forward, I am finding myself fighting with the sun on my drive home. I seem to have a few spots near the top of the windshield on either side of the rear view mirror and the space between the sun visor and a pillar that the sun is just perfectly shining through.

Anyone else experiencing this? Yes, I understand that I could move the sun visor more but if I have them folded down already, there is still small spaces where it pokes through. Any solutions people may have done? I am starting to things about some sort of windshield banner/block to at least cut down on the harshness.

scrmblr2

Reaction score
When I had my windows tinted, I had a dark strip put along the top of the windshield.
If you look inside your windshield, your see the legal line where it can come down to. It makes a big difference for me.
View attachment 65510
Is that a straight tint piece or does it “fade” as it gets farther away from your roof?
Already had windows tinted….could always go that route.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I did the brow as well. it can only go down to the line but it does help in that center space.

Tri J

Reaction score
Is that a straight tint piece or does it “fade” as it gets farther away from your roof?
Already had windows tinted….could always go that route.
Just a strip of dark tint. No fade.

phatboy64

Reaction score
So i would do my whole front windshield but I live in a state that you have to put an inspection sticker on the front windshield and very year they have to scrape it off and put a new one on. I don’t the film would hold up..

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
So i would do my whole front windshield but I live in a state that you have to put an inspection sticker on the front windshield and very year they have to scrape it off and put a new one on. I don’t the film would hold up..
Sometimes I see these cars with no brake lights and tire cords showing and think maybe we should adopt some sort of inspection here but then I remember that I don’t actually want that

CFE

Reaction score
Unfortunately some of us live in states this is technically not allowed.

Air 80 tint (nearly invisible) and sunglasses works for me. Never got caught. ymmv

It's asinine to me that States/LEO still consider it a safety issue to allow owners of their own vehicles to tint whatever window to whatever % they feel content with. That being said, I live in a restrictive tint state (35% on front sides and technically no tint on the windshield) - I "followed" the rule with the sides (yearly safety inspections will fail you otherwise) and 70% on the windshield (like Rock said, basically invisible to the naked eye) and makes a difference.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I run a clear uv tint along with a limo brow and seems to do the trick here in the texas summers.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Do you put the sticker on and remove yourself? Or does someone else have to do that? If you are in control, StickerShield is a great option. I use it for state parks passes, work parking pass, express toll pass, etc, but I control all of those.

Dsword

Reaction score
Those lines on the sides of the windshield are a joke. There are positions of the flip down visor that block windshield 2-3" below that line. I think I'd win that argument in traffic court.

My windshield strip is 5% limo tint in a curved shape and during this time of year with the sun so low in the sky here in Wisconsin that I still flip the visor down. But having the strip is an 87.372% improvement.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Do you put the sticker on and remove yourself? Or does someone else have to do that? If you are in control, StickerShield is a great option. I use it for state parks passes, work parking pass, express toll pass, etc, but I control all of those.
They do it but I could remove it myself right before bringing it in however they have to put it on

phatboy64

Reaction score
Those lines on the sides of the windshield are a joke. There are positions of the flip down visor that block windshield 2-3" below that line. I think I'd win that argument in traffic court.

My windshield strip is 5% limo tint in a curved shape and during this time of year with the sun so low in the sky here in Wisconsin that I still flip the visor down. But having the strip is an 87.372% improvement.
I agree, I have the strip accross the front and mine starts out way below those lines and I have never had an issue

deanfx

Reaction score
They do it but I could remove it myself right before bringing it in however they have to put it on
I'm not advocating that you do this, but I did see a vid of a tint shop in Texas that cuts a block out of the tint so the sticker is visible from the inside. When we had inspection stickers in MS, getting away with darker tint was more difficult for sure.

JD2510

Reaction score
I spoke with a window tint shop today about putting 80 or 90 % window tint on windshield. The person on the phone said some dodge trucks have a module in the dash if it get wet it cost several thousand dollars to replace. Anyone know if this is true if so what models?

Last edited:

phatboy64

Reaction score
I spoke with a window tint shop today about putting 80 or 90 % window tint on windshield. The person on the phone said some dodge trucks have a module in the dash if it get wet it cost several thousand dollars to replace. Anyone know if this is truce if so what models?
I have been told the same from two shops who both refused to do it

Users who are viewing this thread