Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sumo Bump Stops

el_barto

Reaction score
Anyone running Super Springs SumoSpring Bump Stops? I’ve heard good things about them in the Toyota world that they smooth out the ride (and help with overloaded rigs). I’m thinking I will try the Blue ones up front to reduce bottom-out harshness.
They are made of “microcell urethane” similar to Thuren Boogie Bumps which have positive reviews (but apperantly don’t fit 2019+ trucks)…Not sure if I would do the Boogies in the rear or Sumo in the rear

A1132C0B-E717-43D2-A1EA-B09DB0925884.jpeg

Blue Sumos on a Power Wagon (not my picture, from etrailer.com)
5F934807-A2E0-412E-9FFF-06C39F62448F.jpeg

Last edited:

el_barto

Reaction score
Alright I’m going to guinea pig this. Looks like they may touch unloaded since they are much taller…but not certain, if they do it might actually lift the front slightly.

They are pretty soft so I do expect it will dramatically smooth things out over big bumps compared hitting to the hard rubber stock bumps-stops

Attachments

• 0A1F99B6-487B-495B-A819-AF4A3F828891.jpeg
    0A1F99B6-487B-495B-A819-AF4A3F828891.jpeg
    655.1 KB · Views: 24

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
I'll be following along. I fully understand the importance of a progressive bump stop vs a simple rubber jounce bumper. I've had very good success in the JL world with metal cloak durosprings, which are very similar to the sumo springs.

SL1

Reaction score
Ill be watching also. Im very interested in your review and opinion of the front bump stops and the pros/cons. I recently installed some rear timbrens and I love them for towing in my Cummins. They really calmed down the rear and helped stability for me while towing. Keeps us updated on your sumo's for the front!

jadmt

Reaction score
Alright I’m going to guinea pig this. Looks like they may touch unloaded since they are much taller…but not certain, if they do it might actually lift the front slightly.

They are pretty soft so I do expect it will dramatically smooth things out over big bumps compared hitting to the hard rubber stock bumps-stops
go out and catch some air....make sure there is video....if they touch I would be worried they would negative impact on your articulation..can't wait to here how they work.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
go out and catch some air....make sure there is video....if they touch I would be worried they would negative impact on your articulation..can't wait to here how they work.
They are progressive, meaning they have to touch to work. They will squish a certain amount and as they squish, they absorb energy slowing the axle down before it crashes into the frame or the shocks button out. During articulation they will still compress but not as much. It may limit articulation slightly.

jadmt

Reaction score
They are progressive, meaning they have to touch to work. They will squish a certain amount and as they squish, they absorb energy slowing the axle down before it crashes into the frame or the shocks button out. During articulation they will still compress but not as much. It may limit articulation slightly.
yes, I am familiar with them. what I mean is I think they will most likely limit his up travel because they can only compress so much. I have used metal cloak durosprings on JK's. I am interested to see how they work out. For most stuff I would give up an little up travel for a softer landing over whoops. and sharp drop offs with these pigs.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
yes, I am familiar with them. what I mean is I think they will most likely limit his up travel because they can only compress so much. I have used metal cloak durosprings on JK's. I am interested to see how they work out. For most stuff I would give up an little up travel for a softer landing over whoops. and sharp drop offs with these pigs.
I'm interested too. Has anyone fabricated mounts for hydraulic bump stops?

el_barto

Reaction score
I threw a tape on them and the stock bumps this morning, I do not think they will quite touch under empty weight.
They are much softer than stock bump stops and will squish substantially under load, so “hitting the bump stops” on these will be frequent (even with street driving) and unremarkable.
In low speed crawling where articulation is important and the bump stops would be in full compression, I am uncertain what the “squished” height (and force required for that amount of squish) will be compared to a stock bump stop…that is where articulation may be slightly limited.
I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of articulation for an overall smoother ride in moderate offroad driving and rough streets (potholes, highway bridge expansion gaps, etc), which is where I think this product will excel

el_barto

Reaction score
Installed….a bit trickier than anticipated. Used a piece of webbing wrapped around the old bump stop to pull them out, but getting the new ones seated took a few tries…they just didn’t want to pop into place.

They are not quite touching the axle, maybe 3/8” gap…but they will touch often so it will have an affect on ride. Will post back with comments on how the ride feels with them.

Old bump stops are super stiff, like lacrosse ball stiff. New ones much softer , similar to the midsole on a running shoe.

00644C93-A1AD-40F9-B238-85BE56944926.jpegFAA05872-9CC2-4E91-8464-D3B14A4E7B6A.jpeg64C5E6FE-F831-4CA4-BF06-41ABF01516C5.jpegB7916E83-D0C6-4A53-8F21-751DDC76FE5D.jpeg
C99593D0-BA16-445C-9569-B5375160D502.jpeg

Last edited:

akamac

Reaction score
I installed these yesterday and it took about 20 minutes. Having another set of hands is going to make it easy. I wouldn't do it alone.
I used a 24" tire iron to beat the stock ones out. I put a 2X4 under them and slowly lowered the truck to seat them.
The ride is just as I expected it to be. I lost the harsh compression that occurs when going over RR tracks or Bridge joints.
An easy low cost bomb to these front heavy trucks.
Truck is a 2020 HO, stock rear air suspension, -18 offset 9X20 Moto wheels with 35/11.50r20 tires.
IMG_1189.JPGIMG_1188.JPG

Wobly

Reaction score
Bringing back this zombie thread.
From what I can find, the blue Sumo's are rated to 800 lbs and their black ones are rated to 1200 lbs. The Thuren version doesn't have a weight rating, but looks almost identical to the Sumo 1200 lbs (black) version.

Anybody have updated feedback on their blue or black Sumo's or Thuren's? Would you do the install again?

I hit the front bump stops again last weekend on a trail and I'm looking at the different options to keep that harsh jolt out of my front end.

el_barto

Reaction score
The Thurens are the black Sumos.
I asked Thuren why they spec’d the black vs the blue, and they gave me a pretty weak answer to the tune of “both are fine” and that black are a bit better for Cummins (heavier) and/or if you are “smashing serious whoops at speed”
I’ve been happy with the blues. I’d say you don’t feel they are there 99% time, and the other 1% you don’t feel anything because they are there because they are preventing a harsh bottom out you would have felt with the stock bump stops.

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
From what I can find, the blue Sumo's are rated to 800 lbs and their black ones are rated to 1200 lbs. The Thuren version doesn't have a weight rating, but looks almost identical to the Sumo 1200 lbs (black) version.

Anybody have updated feedback on their blue or black Sumo's or Thuren's? Would you do the install again?

I hit the front bump stops again last weekend on a trail and I'm looking at the different options to keep that harsh jolt out of my front end.
Honesty the difference between 800lbs and 1200 lbs when you are factoring in a 8000 pound truck coming down on the with considerable inertia is negligible. Its going to squish both of them to maximum compression (about 80% of static height) Both the black and blue with work. They do a great job of damping the last inch or so of travel without a harsh bottom out or noise.

el_barto

Reaction score
Yes and no… it will also be a bit stiffer around town which can be uncomfortable. @Rockcrawlerdude wasn’t totally in love with black sumo bump stops in the rear of his truck when unloaded

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yes and no… it will also be a bit stiffer around town which can be uncomfortable. @Rockcrawlerdude wasn’t totally in love with black sumo bump stops in the rear of his truck when unloaded
True^
Definitely stiffer around town. Amazing when towing with 900lb on the ball

I really want another set of them to cut down the length of the factory bump stops to screw in when I’m not towing But sumo won’t sell me just the springs only another kit.

Power247

Reaction score

I'm still very happy with blue ones I put on the front of my truck. No more nose dives when hard braking or harsh bottoming out.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

bamnq6

Reaction score
I've got a set of the blacks from Thuren on the front of my PW. I haven't really noticed an appreciable change in ride quality on the street. Maybe there a bit of a noticeable response change when crossing larger bumps at highway speed. The Sumo have a far longer engagement than the OEMs. I think some highway bump / valleys / expansion joint would not travel the suspension far enough to engage the OEM bumps, but certainly engage the Sumos.

I noticed a HUGE change while off road. We've all had a few badly planned routes where a whoop or a dip surprised us... you still feel the impact, but it's not the hammer blow WHACK of those OEM rubber stops.

The install wasn't terrible. I'd guess an hour and a half including rolling out all the tools, jacks, etc. I put the front of the truck up on jacks-stand with the axle partially drooped. I used a pry bar to wrestle the OEMS out. Then I placed the Sumo's in their pocket and shimmed between the axle pad and the bottom of the bumpstop with plywood scraps. I lifted the axle with a shop jack pressing the new Sumo in place. Rinse wash repeat, then clean up-

el_barto

Reaction score
So I think the summary that we have all pretty much reached is:
This is a good upgrade for the Power Wagon if you offroad it. It reduces harshness of a bottom out, yet practically invisible in normal street driving, and relatively low cost/easy to install.

Users who are viewing this thread