Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions on deciding

BikePilot

Reaction score
HO all day for towing in the mountains. I live in the mountains in Colorado and the Aisin is fantastic out here. Add the torque of the HO Cummins and that exhaust break and it's a killer combination. When I was looking at used trucks a while back every 3500 so I saw with more than 80k miles had had the trans replaced. I think they have heat trouble towing heavy in the mountains. Imo there's no downside other than price to an HO.

WEB

Reaction score
I have a 22 3500 SRW with the SO that I got early February this year. I was initially looking for a HO but after seeing the failures for the late 22's and early 23's I went with the SO. (My previous trucks were SO's so I knew what to expect.) The primary use for this truck is to haul travel trailers. To date, I have towed over two dozen different trailers ranging from a small 3000 lb boat to a 43' park model that weighed 11,600 lbs. I towed the park model from IN to Western WA. Fuel milage with that one was abysmal. The truck just hit 27k miles today with about 12k of that towing. Most of that towing has been in the mountainous regions of WA, OR, ID and MT. So far so good. However, for what I do, my next truck will probably have the HO.

rafke77

Reaction score
I have a 22 3500 SRW with the SO that I got early February this year. I was initially looking for a HO but after seeing the failures for the late 22's and early 23's I went with the SO. (My previous trucks were SO's so I knew what to expect.) The primary use for this truck is to haul travel trailers. To date, I have towed over two dozen different trailers ranging from a small 3000 lb boat to a 43' park model that weighed 11,600 lbs. I towed the park model from IN to Western WA. Fuel milage with that one was abysmal. The truck just hit 27k miles today with about 12k of that towing. Most of that towing has been in the mountainous regions of WA, OR, ID and MT. So far so good. However, for what I do, my next truck will probably have the HO.
I was at a local Pilot travel center the other day and two Rams pulled in, both with diesels, and both towing 5th wheels. Both deliver trailers for a living like you. One was a 2500 short bed with the SO, the other a 3500 long bed HO. I know there is no way the 2500 was within payload capacity, regardless, the guy said he has towed everywhere without issues. The 3500 driver said the same thing.

I have read through so many different threads, forums and watched videos. I realize that in stock form I most likely won't have any issues with either HO or SO. I also came to the conclusion that the SO would serve my purpose of towing a 5th wheel a couple times a year and being a daily driver the rest of the year just fine. However, I always like to error on the side of safety and for those "in case" scenarios, I will most likely buy the HO.

Also from what I've read, fuel mileage differences will be negligible. I am doing it for the benefit of the transmission. I wish I could get a truck with the SO and Aisin without going to a chassis cab, but that can't be done.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The motor is the C&C is not the same as the SO, it’s similar but still different. All 3 motors are different.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Right, it has a little less power then the SO I believe?

Yes, lower power. It does share some hard parts with the SO, but not all of them.

What’s odd is that it uses the same pistons as the SO, but has the same compression as the HO.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Might just be me but I prefer a trans I can tune...Ive had both....the aisin is fine if you're leaving stock...if you're gonna mod....the SO and 68 are the way to go...I will add that when I had the HO I was towing 20k plus with a GN trailer....now I only need to tow about 15k max....but about 10k on the routine....I feel 15k is right around where you should jump to the HO setup....but I always like having more truck than needed so ymmv....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Might just be me but I prefer a trans I can tune...Ive had both....the aisin is fine if you're leaving stock...if you're gonna mod....the SO and 68 are the way to go...I will add that when I had the HO I was towing 20k plus with a GN trailer....now I only need to tow about 15k max....but about 10k on the routine....I feel 15k is right around where you should jump to the HO setup....but I always like having more truck than needed so ymmv....

Can’t currently tune any of the 22+ trucks without an ECM swap, but yes the 68RFE can be tuned and the Aisin cannot.

If you’re going to build the truck the SO is nice for the trans tuning, but it also has a higher compression ratio that won’t like as much boost as the HO motor.

There are trade offs to both setups for adding power.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Can’t currently tune any of the 22+ trucks without an ECM swap, but yes the 68RFE can be tuned and the Aisin cannot.

If you’re going to build the truck the SO is nice for the trans tuning, but it also has a higher compression ratio that won’t like as much boost as the HO motor.

There are trade offs to both setups for adding power.
Won't like as much boost on stock studs...but who keeps those if we are tuning....that's why I traded the 22 in on the 21....

On a side note do you know the max boost numbers for the so and HO in stock form? So I think is 36 psi...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Won't like as much boost on stock studs...but who keeps those if we are tuning....that's why I traded the 22 in on the 21....

On a side note do you know the max boost numbers for the so and HO in stock form? So I think is 36 psi...

When the 1000lb/ft HO was released it was advertised as having up to 33 psi. I would think the SO is lower, high 20’s maybe… but that’s a guess, nothing from the tune file.

The ECM works off of airflow as it’s main goal, not boost.

The boost limit is the same for both at 36.02 psi, but that doesn’t indicate what they run at.

The gauge on the dash only goes to 35 psi.

jebruns

Reaction score
I was at a local Pilot travel center the other day and two Rams pulled in, both with diesels, and both towing 5th wheels. Both deliver trailers for a living like you. One was a 2500 short bed with the SO, the other a 3500 long bed HO. I know there is no way the 2500 was within payload capacity, regardless, the guy said he has towed everywhere without issues. The 3500 driver said the same thing.
No surprise there. The 2500 and 3500 are very close to the same trucks. The thing that holds the 2500 back from being legally rated for more payload is the govt imposed 10K limit on 3/4 tons.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I have towed over two dozen different trailers ranging from a small 3000 lb boat to a 43' park model that weighed 11,600 lbs. I towed the park model from IN to Western WA. Fuel milage with that one was abysmal.
About 7mpg? When there's nothing left on the load board by park models, I just stay home. If I were going to haul them out west routinely, I'd get an HO truck, and it would definitely be a dually.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
No surprise there. The 2500 and 3500 are very close to the same trucks. The thing that holds the 2500 back from being legally rated for more payload is the govt imposed 10K limit on 3/4 tons.

I don’t believe there is a govt limit on 3/4 ton trucks. Both GM and Ford have 3/4 tons with more than a 10K GVWR.

Ram has chosen to stay at 10K for some reason, but I’ll bet that changes soon.

wyvern

Reaction score
I don’t believe there is a govt limit on 3/4 ton trucks. Both GM and Ford have 3/4 tons with more than a 10K GVWR.

Ram has chosen to stay at 10K for some reason, but I’ll bet that changes soon.
Don't coil springs play a roll in this? A lot of people minimize the effect of coils on trailer sway, but it seems to still be an issue with heavier loads.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It's about registration and CDL requirements. Some folks have a need for a 10k rated truck to avoid extra costs and requirements. The mfrs can rate trucks at whatever they like but if they rate their 2500's over 10k, they lose that 10k market.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't coil springs play a roll in this? A lot of people minimize the effect of coils on trailer sway, but it seems to still be an issue with heavier loads.

The already rate the rear axle at, or above, 6K. The FAWR+RAWR is more than 10K.

It's about registration and CDL requirements. Some folks have a need for a 10k rated truck to avoid extra costs and requirements. The mfrs can rate trucks at whatever they like but if they rate their 2500's over 10k, they lose that 10k market.

Correct, they would need to keep a 10K option like Furd and GM have. This is also why there is a 10K 3500 C&C option.

It’s dumb thou, as actual weight doesn’t really matter.. just the GVWR.

Vehicle classifications need to be updated in the 2-4 classes, rigs are heavier and more capable than they ever have been. No reason a Class 2B can’t have a 11-12K GVWR or a Class 3 can’t have a 15-16K GVWR.

WEB

Reaction score
About 7mpg? When there's nothing left on the load board by park models, I just stay home. If I were going to haul them out west routinely, I'd get an HO truck, and it would definitely be a dually.
Yep averaged about 7 mpg. I was already in IN and was offered a park model so I wouldn't have to deadhead back to WA where I live. It payed ok, but I don't plan on taking another one.

WEB

Reaction score
I've seen a guy that would haul big heavy fifth wheels with a Ram 2500. Like you said, there's no way he is within payload. Add to the pin weight of the trailer, his aux fuel tank, tool box, and everything else he carries he has to be way over. How his company lets him get away with that, is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread