Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions on deciding

rafke77

Reaction score
I've seen a guy that would haul big heavy fifth wheels with a Ram 2500. Like you said, there's no way he is within payload. Add to the pin weight of the trailer, his aux fuel tank, tool box, and everything else he carries he has to be way over. How his company lets him get away with that, is beyond me.
Like this 2500PXL_20230829_205425278.jpg
Sorry if you're a member here guy, but I'm calling this one out. I saw this in my town yesterday. I looked up that trailer and a newer model the dry hitch weight is 2560lbs. This is the same reason I traded my 2500 in, because of payload, and I only had 488 miles on it.. Sad and expensive story. But that's why I joined this community and started this thread. I want to make sure they're is no more mistakes. I keep going back and forth between the SO and HO trucks.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I've seen a guy that would haul big heavy fifth wheels with a Ram 2500. Like you said, there's no way he is within payload. Add to the pin weight of the trailer, his aux fuel tank, tool box, and everything else he carries he has to be way over. How his company lets him get away with that, is beyond me.
I'd rather have that big 5th wheel than a big park model hanging from my bumper. Did it once, that's why I won't do it again. And clear to Burlington, WA. I swear half of them must go out there.

As far as payload goes, from a DOT standpoint, it's not legally enforceable, that's why the RV transport companies don't worry about it. When I was getting a truck inspected for lease one time, the inspector flat out told me all they look for is 8 bolt wheels and 10 ply tires. DOT could and would write a guy for being over tire ratings but if being over tire ratings were that common, they'd be pulling SRW trucks with big campers in to check their tires all the time. I've seen plenty of SRW trucks, both 2500 and 3500, pull the biggest campers out there. In fact, my dually weighs over 10k empty so I can't even pull some of the heaviest campers and stay under 26k weight so what do they do? They have a SRW guy pull them.

JD2510

Reaction score
Unless you are using a truck to make money, you do not need a DOT number and you can not be inspected by DOT. There are equine transport companies that transport horses with a gooseneck trailer and a dually truck with no markings on trailer or truck running in gray area just under the radar. They drive by scales etc just like everyone pulling campers.

wyvern

Reaction score
Like this 2500View attachment 61941
Sorry if you're a member here guy, but I'm calling this one out. I saw this in my town yesterday. I looked up that trailer and a newer model the dry hitch weight is 2560lbs. This is the same reason I traded my 2500 in, because of payload, and I only had 488 miles on it.. Sad and expensive story. But that's why I joined this community and started this thread. I want to make sure they're is no more mistakes. I keep going back and forth between the SO and HO trucks.
Have you test driven both the HO/SO Cummins trucks yet?

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Unless you are using a truck to make money, you do not need a DOT number and you can not be inspected by DOT.
Uhhh, don't think so. And I have a ticket to prove it. No DOT number and I got ticketed in my personal dump truck hauling rock for myself for being overweight on a steer tire and for being over the tandems, although the last one didn't cost me anything. But being over the stated rating of the steer tire involved a fine. That was in Kansas.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Like this 2500View attachment 61941
If you are going back and forth this much you should get the HO, otherwise you will continue to second guess yourself after purchasing the SO and you will be back trading it in for the HO.

wyvern

Reaction score
I was in the exact same predicament, but after having test driven both and hearing that the Aisin issues are worked through at this point I've decided an HO is the right move for my use case regardless of if I order or buy a '21 used.

If you haven't driven both, definitely go do so. It's crazy how many people make massive stink about the Aisin being the worst shifting transmission of all time or whatever. It's honestly incredibly smooth and the shift crests on these latest gen trucks are mild.

phatboy64

Reaction score
^^^^ agreed. I don't understand the comments regarding the AISIN and shifting issues. Like I mentioned I have over 180K miles on one and it was very smooth...

JD2510

Reaction score
Uhhh, don't think so. And I have a ticket to prove it. No DOT number and I got ticketed in my personal dump truck hauling rock for myself for being overweight on a steer tire and for being over the tandems, although the last one didn't cost me anything. But being over the stated rating of the steer tire involved a fine. That was in Kansas.
When the FMCSA was started it was so all regulations etc would be enforced the same in all 50 states. However it’s not interpreted or enforced the same way in the court system. If the officer that weighted your hobby truck used portable scales I would have inquired when the last time the scales were calibrated. Hauling scales around in your trunk etc throws off the calibration. If you got tagged at the scales at a weigh station you could have asked the same question on calibration. Some court systems have dismissed speeding tickets because officer did not have radar re calibrated each year even though the radar self checks it’s self and you use a tuning fork at beginning middle and end of shift to verify calibration. The judge just wanted to see a piece of paper signed be some tech each year.

rafke77

Reaction score
Have you test driven both the HO/SO Cummins trucks yet?
I have driven the SO, the dealership does not have a HO. I'm trying to find one locally that I can test drive. Unfortunately I don't have any friends into diesel trucks that I can get advice from.

rafke77

Reaction score
If you are going back and forth this much you should get the HO, otherwise you will continue to second guess yourself after purchasing the SO and you will be back trading it in for the HO.
I'm horrible with decisions at times, let alone something big like this.. then I think if I get the HO I might find out the SO was more then enough and be in the same boat (insert crazy laugh)

tchur1

Reaction score
I'm horrible with decisions at times, let alone something big like this.. then I think if I get the HO I might find out the SO was more then enough and be in the same boat (insert crazy laugh)
Either truck is more than enough for your (or most) needs. These trucks are crazy powerful in either form. That said, the AISIN is a stronger trans for towing, more reliable (outside of the K1 issue its been bulletproof), and IMO shifts perfectly well. Ive never understood the complaints about firm shifts.

If you have the means, just get the HO and dont overthink it, but im just a random guy on the internet telling you how to spend your money.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Either truck is more than enough for your (or most) needs. These trucks are crazy powerful in either form. That said, the AISIN is a stronger trans for towing, more reliable (outside of the K1 issue its been bulletproof), and IMO shifts perfectly well. Ive never understood the complaints about firm shifts.

If you have the means, just get the HO and dont overthink it, but im just a random guy on the internet telling you how to spend your money.

I agree.

I probably don’t always benefit from the diesel for some of my towing, but it sure is nice is the intermountain west. My 0.02 is that the HO is the only way to go, and I have a 22 that could have a K1 failure.

Users who are viewing this thread