Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subtle Grinding Noise When Feather Throttle

tjw2021

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Bighorn Cummins with just over 3k miles on it. I have noticed that when I am trailing behind someone or going through a neighborhood, I hear a subtle grinding noise when I am feathering the throttle at about 30 mph. I tried to record it, but my phone could pick up the noise. I can feel it under my feet when it happens. It doesn’t happen when I go to actually accelerate, but only when feathering the throttle.

I can’t find anything online about this. Does this happen to anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CurtJ

Reaction score
Yep! Mines been doing it for 24k miles. I was told to drive it until it breaks then they will know what’s causing it. Reassuring huh?
It seems it’s not as bad if it’s in tow/haul mode but still there. Have heard from some others that it probably is the torque converter trying to decide where it needs to be? I just continue to drive it. Haven’t had any issues with that problem other than the grinding noise. Hauls and tows like a beast! Mine is a Cummins too.

pionex_80

Reaction score
Mine is also making a very subtle metallic ringing noise when just right at the accelerator neutral position. Sounds to me like engine or bellhousing area. Very annoying.

cdurbin

Reaction score
I’ve noticed the same issue.

From the driver seat, it sounded like a slight grinding. My wife pointed out from the passenger seat that it sounded like a heat shield rattling.

I had her drive it the other day while I sat in the passenger seat and sure enough…the sound is there and is a bit different.

I did a quick glance underneath and didn’t see anything that looked odd.

Ram25002021

Reaction score
I was noticing this as well just this morning. What I’ve noticed is it occurs when the truck is in a higher gear and I’m at a lower speed and then try to accelerate. Instead of downshifting it’s like the truck holds the gear and gives that “rough” throttle feel.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Maybe I need to turn my music down sometimes. Then again, maybe I will just remain happier with it up. Is it happening when the truck is already in 5th or 6th? I have noticed it feels out of sorts when it is in a high gear at lower speeds and I feather it a bit without giving it enough throttle to drop down out of the OD gears.

tjw2021

Reaction score
Maybe I need to turn my music down sometimes. Then again, maybe I will just remain happier with it up. Is it happening when the truck is already in 5th or 6th? I have noticed it feels out of sorts when it is in a high gear at lower speeds and I feather it a bit without giving it enough throttle to drop down out of the OD gears.

It does seem to happen when I am going slower but the truck is in a higher gear, whether it’s in 5th or 6th I’m not exactly sure. I’ve been trying to not feather the throttle and it hasn’t really done it. So that does make sense. This is my first diesel and just wanted to make sure this wasn’t a big issue.

Ram25002021

Reaction score
So if you set the gear select to 4th, it’ll operate 1-4 as needed? I’ll give this a try.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
So if you set the gear select to 4th, it’ll operate 1-4 as needed? I’ll give this a try.
Yes. I often do it around town. I am also on 37s so it makes it easier on the trans.

Boonie22

Reaction score
Has anyone found the cause of this issue? I recently brought my 2020 in to have the dealership shop look into it and they “decided” it was my lifters. So they found “6/12 lifters had collapsed and the can shaft had irregular wear on it” so they replaced all the lifters and my cam shaft.

I got the truck back and it was still making the grind noise. Then the next day, truck lost all power and shut off while driving down the road. So it’s back in the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread