Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid oil change question?

99ls1tj

Reaction score
I got my truck home today from having my first oil change done. My dealer WAY overfilled the oil. I've never changed the oil on a Cummins before. Do you think I'll have any luck draining a quart or so from loosening the drain plug, or should I just prepare for a flood of oil? Thanks

Hawk375

Reaction score
Did you check the dipstick after letting the engine sit for a loooong time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegaDave

Reaction score
You could just half way loosen the plug to where it is draining out but not gushing. Tightened and recheck level. You could also get one of those 12v pumps on Amazon and vacuum oil out of the dipstick.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Pretty much impossible to drain a little out with the stock drain plug, it doesn't have slots or any other provisions to start with a restricted flow, usually get nothing and the a huge gusher.
Definitely let the truck sit overnight and check levels before starting engine before you attempt to drain any oil. That dipstick can give way false readings if the engine has been run anytime recently.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
Go back to the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
They're about 20 miles away and it's a holiday. They were closed today by the time I thought to check it. I may just not drive it this weekend and take it Monday. If I decide to try to do it myself, I may just try holding the plug over the hole and tilting it slightly. I can see myself making a huge mess. :( I wish I did have one of those top side oil changers.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
Did you check the dipstick after letting the engine sit for a loooong time?

It sat for about an hour. Chances are if it didn't sit long enough, it would just get worse (higher on the dipstick, right?).

Hawk375

Reaction score
You could drop and drain the filter maybe.

jadmt

Reaction score
look dirty. like they might not have drained it all out. My oil is always so clean after a change you can barely see it on the dip stick.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
look dirty. like they might not have drained it all out. My oil is always so clean after a change you can barely see it on the dip stick.
It does look fairly dirty but I did drive it home from the dealership (about 20 miles). I was thinking the diesel oil gets dark fairly quick, but maybe not that dark that quick? It was my first oil change and it was free. I may start doing it myself.

renagade69

Reaction score
Use a vacuum extractor from the dipstick. I use them to change oil on my boats outboard from the dock.

jadmt

Reaction score
It does look fairly dirty but I did drive it home from the dealership (about 20 miles). I was thinking the diesel oil gets dark fairly quick, but maybe not that dark that quick? It was my first oil change and it was free. I may start doing it myself.
I don't have a diesel but I have been changing my own oil for going on 50 years and seems pretty dark for having 20 miles on it. I would defer it for other diesel owners tho to tell you if that is normal after only 20 miles.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Pretty typical for a diesel. If was “dirty” the dots wouldn’t be visible. It is over filled , though. Pan retains some oil on every change.

Users who are viewing this thread