Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing a Ram Cummins long term

Bigtuna

Reaction score
Hello all and Merry Christmas and happy Holidays.

I own a Ram 3500 with a CTD. I’ll be traveling long term out of country for about 5 months. What precautions if any would you take to keep the truck healthy?

Prior to leaving, I’m going to change the oil/filter and fuel filters.

What else should I be looking at?

Thanks!

techman

Reaction score
Overinflate the tires to avoid flat spots.

Inside or outside storage? You migh want to take anti-rodent measures too.

5 months isn't that long term in reality.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
5 months is not long term. Just disconnect the batteries and you are good with a diesel maybe throw some bounce sheets in to keep the critters away

Blythkd1

Reaction score
5 months isn't long term. The batteries are really all you need to be concerned with for that length of time. If you want to take the weight off the tires, that's gravy.

The rodent thing is up to you. Only you know if there may be a rodent problem.

I'm sure the folks at JDP know more than those of us that have actually owned trucks for decades and busted knuckles on them though, LOL!

Jacob

Reaction score
I'd probably just fill the fuel tank. Put sun reflective thingy over the dash. Leave a note for the next guy in the glove box. In case you don't make it. Like the country song.

Bigtuna

Reaction score
So JDP was a bad example. It was the first thing I found when I googled long term vehicle storage.

I would agree on the old 12 valves when the truck was more or less 100% mechanical. When I had my 24 valve second gen I never did **** to it and left multiple times for 5 or 6 months at a time.

These new trucks are a whole new animal with many more systems and things to fail.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
9-12 months starts getting into long term storage.

5 months isn’t enough to worry about seals, valve springs, etc.

Change the oil and filters if they will hit their 12 months while you’re gone.

Air the tires up helps, and park on something other than dirt.

Full fuel tank.

Fully charge and then disconnect the batteries, but know the truck may take a few cycles when you return to get all your accessories back.

I’d block the sun thru the windshield too.

When you get back make sure to look at months for maintenance intervals instead of just miles.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well your standard was “just disconnect the batteries” . So that’s not saying a whole lot.

Move along now kid.
One of the jobs i did as a mechanic was vehicle storage for troops when they went over seas usually avg 4-6 months thats short term as far as storage and just disconnecting the batteries is all you need to do on these vehicles

wrvond

Reaction score
I don’t know what part of the country you’re in but you might consider adding biocide to your fuel tank.
You could leave the batteries connected with a solar powered maintainer, but disconnecting them will work well too.
Fresh oil and filter will remove most of the combustion related acids from the crankcase.
Putting the truck up on jack stands will take the weight off bearings as well as tires. It will also prevent leeching to the ground.
Personally I’d put rodent pellets in the air filter box - remember to remove them prior to starting though.
Bags of mothballs could be effective but ensure they don’t come in contact with anything, especially plastic.
Do not put a tarp over your truck, it will trap moisture and lead to mold mildew and possibly rust issues.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Disconnect the batteries.

Mothball or dryer sheets for critters.

What year truck? If I had a 21+ going to storage I would always have that stupid solid state grid heater relay meltdown in the back of my mind, recall completed or not.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Then what would you consider a long time to store a vehicle?
it's somewhat of an arbitrary number but certainly more than 6 months. In my opinion, like someone else said, probably 9 months or more. I just had a diesel dually sit for 10 months with nothing more than topping off the batteries done to it. Can't tell any negative effects at all. I have somewhat of a fleet with many of them sitting for at least weeks, sometimes months at a time with nothing special done to them. Rarely ever even have to charge batteries. I don't worry about anything for a few months, that's normal here. Didn't catch your model year but on my good truck, sitting outside would bother me more than anything else.

Bigtuna

Reaction score
One of the jobs i did as a mechanic was vehicle storage for troops when they went over seas usually avg 4-6 months thats short term as far as storage and just disconnecting the batteries is all you need to do on these vehicles

Dude I apologize. I for some reason thought you were being a smarty. I see now you’re experienced in the subject and being helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread