Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock lug nuts on a 2019+ dually?

Duke4

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Dually on order. Planning to swap out the stock Nexens pretty much immediately after arrival. Would like to run the MT Baja Boss LT255/85R17 tires. I expect to need to run a 1/2" spacer which will effectively shorten the stud length by 1/2". I am assuming the OEM lug nuts have a built in washer that takes up a bit of space before the threads start. I thought I would switch out the nuts for a style with no washer and threads starting at the tapered face to engage more thread. Something like whats in the link.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-611-979

A couple questions....
Can anyone verify that the stock lug nuts do indeed have the washer on them?
can anyone verify if the stock nuts are the 60 degree conical seat style?

Thanks!

superjoe83

Reaction score
The dually wheels are a hub pilot wheel and a conical lug nut will not work, there is no taper in the stud holes

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone verify that the stock lug nuts do indeed have the washer on them?
Yes, for DRW only.

can anyone verify if the stock nuts are the 60 degree conical seat style?

Yes, for SRW only.

As mentioned the OEM DRW wheels do not use a conical seat lug nut, and must use the OEM style two-piece lug nut.

You shouldn't need spacers for 255's.

Duke4

Reaction score
The dually wheels are a hub pilot wheel and a conical lug nut will not work, there is no taper in the stud holes
Thanks. So is there a solution to get rid of the washer?
Yes, for DRW only.

Yes, for SRW only.

As mentioned the OEM DRW wheels do not use a conical seat lug nut, and must use the OEM style two-piece lug nut.

You shouldn't need spacers for 255's.
Thanks. Even though I dont have the truck yet, I bought the tires and have them in the garage. I was surprised that the sidewalls on those Baja Boss tires protrude out as far as it does past the tread contact area. If I can get away without spacers I would be very happy. They are definitely a last resort.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. So is there a solution to get rid of the washer?

Not that I know of for the stock wheels. Maybe some aftermarket wheels take conical lug nuts, but I think most DRW wheels use the 2-piece design so they can be mounted as inner or outers.

Users who are viewing this thread