Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel wear, and/or protection?

idratherplaytennis

Reaction score
Hey everyone. First time RAM owner, second time truck owner. Just traded in my 10 year old Silverado which had the same basic premium interior equivalent as this RAM and I had some things happen back in the Chevy I am hoping to avoid with this RAM. The truck is used as a daily driver for work with remodel/maintenance and construction related repair work covering multiple trades and I'm looking for protection options for the leather.

The leather wrapped steering wheel began wearing through the leather where I gripped it most, and while I want to blame it partly on getting into the truck one day with curing cement or tile thinset on my hands; I want to just get some general opinions on your experiences on how the leather wrapped steering wheels wear over the years in RAM's. Do you use covers to protect them when you're not always able to wash your hands before driving them after a job or let them get worn as they will? Just trying to figure out if I want to do a search for a steering wheel cover or figure out a different way to keep it as nice as I can for as long as I can. Some of my family's other vehicles have had extremely long lasting leather wrapping on the steering wheels that didn't begin to have issues til well after they were 10 but they were also Fords which may use different material from Chevy which could be different again from Dodge. I do realize the easiest thing is to just "wash my hands before I get in every single time" but that's just not always feasible.

Any input on your experiences or recommendations keeping the leather steering wheel (and maybe even seating) as nice for as long as possible would be greatly appreciated. Most of the other areas of wear and tear on my Chevy were easy to handle, but the leather care for the Chevy basically just said: 'no maintenance needed'.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
covers on everything. I've always put a steering wheel cover on almost immediately. I cannot stand a nasty wheel.

idratherplaytennis

Reaction score
covers on everything. I've always put a steering wheel cover on almost immediately. I cannot stand a nasty wheel.
Any cover type/brand you like in particular? I never was a fan of bulking the already bulky wheels up a bit but the tear on my old wheel has me rethinking it.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
just whatever tickles me at the auto parts store. usually the plainest one on the rack that fits.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
I have come to the mindset of just not putting covers on the high traffic interior stuff (other than quality leather ceramic coating like Cquartz leather and regular cleaning) and when time comes that the scratches and marks on it become to much to handle in a few years.. I will just buy a brand new steering wheel and start fresh with it. Worth the cost and keep the truck for a very long time and enjoy it the way it was made.

Ruffone

Reaction score
idratherplaytennis… I have the same problem with leather steering wheels, within 6 months of having my new vehicles I usually have a hole already wearing in the steering wheels. I did some research and then did a ph test on myself… My ph is slightly on the acidic side which is the prime cause for the excessive wear on the leather I have read, there’s a lot of write ups about this on the net. And to combat this I usually get one of those bulky leather steering wheel covers which seems to help out a lot. The thicker steering wheel cover helps me relax my grip on the steering wheel, that alone has made a huge difference.

Metternacht

Reaction score
Late to the party but has anyone considered a paracord wrap on the wheel? At some point I may do it. Lots of examples on line with some instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread