Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel feel

ollicat

Reaction score
I am looking for advice on this one. I have a 2023, Hemi Megacab, 4x4. Great vehicle. However, the amount of play and feel that comes through to the steering wheel is MUCH more than my old 2008 Hemi Megacab. I feel every little bump and the steering wheel will vibrate as the wheels go over bumps. It literally feels like there is a spring between the front wheels and the steering wheel and the steering wheel wobbles as a result of what the front wheels do. Is there any aftermarket cure for this?

Firebird

Reaction score
Do you have Lane keep assist feature?

jsalbre

Reaction score
What tire pressures are you running?

ollicat

Reaction score
Lane Assist has been turned off since I first bought the truck - hate it. Tire pressure is 55 all around. I have the Transforce OEM tires and don't really carry any weight. Its definitely in the steering though - just a feeling of something almost loose between the tires and steering wheel.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Even with lane assist off the steering wheel feel on the trucks equipped with it just sucks, IMO. It’s too light and is too easily influenced.

A couple things may help thou, air pressure and alignment.

On a Hemi MC that’s not hauling anything you likely only need to run 40-45 psi up front and 35 psi out back.

Get the truck aligned to Thuren specs. It does wonders for steering feel and tire wear.

DrTron

Reaction score
Get the truck aligned to Thuren specs. It does wonders for steering feel and tire wear.
Mmmh, I did that recently, greatest difference to stock was the "toe", but honestly I can't say that steering feel has improved much. YMMV, maybe it's different for PW's vs. regular 2500's.

ollicat

Reaction score
I am having difficulty describing this. If I go over the proverbial "washboard" type bumps, I can feel the front suspension go all over the place through the week. It makes the steering wheel feel very wobbly. No other car or truck I have ever owned transferred this type of wobbly feel like this. It is like you can actually feel in the wheel the front tires or suspension jumping around

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
add a degree or 2 of caster.. or maybe it's remove. move the axle forward.

Users who are viewing this thread