Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel controls stop working

relbus

Reaction score
On my 2023 the steering wheel controls stopped working. This has happened about 4-5x. They have applied an update, which got them working for a few weeks. They have replaced the switches on the wheel, which got them working for a few weeks.
They have replaced the entire steering wheel assembly, and they only worked for about 12 hours after that. A few of the visits they determined parts were wrong or had an imperfection, so I had to go back. Each time I went in with non working controls, I left with working controls.

Very annoying. Anyone else have similar issues? Getting tired of having to take my truck in for this.

relbus

Reaction score
They have not replaced the clock spring yet. That was my first thought, but they concluded it was initially the controller, and then the switches themselves. I have a call into the service manager to find out what their next step is.
I do not want to be without my truck while they wait on parts, so hopefully they can order the clock spring and when it comes in attempt the repair.

tchur1

Reaction score
It seems clock spring is the main culprit for many issues with steering wheel controls. I had mine break my steering wheel heater. Replaced the clock spring and its been great since.
If they have not done that yet, that's where I would go next.

mountainears

Reaction score
Seems like if they replaced the whole steering wheel assembly they would have done the clock spring. But as mentioned that typically is the issue reported in this forum.

z06psi

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same. However, it is just the screen controls for the instrument cluster and the buttons behind the steering wheel for the audio controls. The Cruise control works just fine.

z06psi

Reaction score
Just to add. If I disconnect both batteries everything works for a couple of weeks and then goes off again.

Users who are viewing this thread