Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering issues

NCjosh

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm still in a bit of a pinch. Ever since I bought my new 2022 2500 6.7 big horn, it has been a nightmare to drive. I've adjusted tire pressure, had toe set to zero per Thuren spec, installed Thuren trac bar, steering brace, fox ats, and I just can't seem to get it right. Dealership and truck shop have inspected front end and found nothing. I have driven other Cummins that tracked straight even with wore out front ends. Mine is just left and then right, back and forth, WONT TRACK STRAIGHT! I now have 10k miles on it. I have read countless other posts from other ram hd owners that bought new rams with same issues but have yet to find a solid resolution. If anyone has been through the ringer also and has found a resolution, please do share. Thanks so much

NCjosh

Reaction score
Also truck is stock height with some slightly larger than stock all terrains. The truck did this with factory tires also

NCjosh

Reaction score
double checked no cross caster?
My cams are straight down, half a mark towards the rear, alignment printout says it's 4.5 drivers 4.8 passenger. I've tried moving cams forward and rearward with no major difference.
@werard the tires seem to move accordingly with the wheel when sitting still. Thanks guys

werard

Reaction score
@werard when driving, it seems like loose steering, like I'm steady correcting

The internal of the box could have play resulting in what you are describing. There is a adjustment on top of the box that can used to "tighten" up the amount of play.

NCjosh

Reaction score
The internal of the box could have play resulting in what you are describing. There is a adjustment on top of the box that can used to "tighten" up the amount of play.

Thanks a bunch. Genuine question: if when sitting in park, and moving the steering wheel left to right, getting almost immediate feedback from the box; could it still be suspect? If my steering wheel is dead straight, I can start to turn the steering wheel maybe an inch or two, and the wheels turn but not at the same ratio as it would once I get past that first inch of rotation. Sorry I know it's confusing

I'm also having to I guess you would say over correct for turns. When going into a curve, normally you would set the steering wheel straight when coming out of the turn, I am having to turn past that point to straighten out the curve. This happens in both directions(left curves and right curves)

Last edited:

werard

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch. Genuine question: if when sitting in park, and moving the steering wheel left to right, getting almost immediate feedback from the box; could it still be suspect? If my steering wheel is dead straight, I can start to turn the steering wheel maybe an inch or two, and the wheels turn but not at the same ratio as it would once I get past that first inch of rotation. Sorry I know it's confusing

I'm also having to I guess you would say over correct for turns. When going into a curve, normally you would set the steering wheel straight when coming out of the turn, I am having to turn past that point to straighten out the curve. This happens in both directions(left curves and right curves)

As too ratio while turning being different, do you have the "adaptive steering" option I think it is called? If I remember correctly it either changes the ratio or power assist.

Firebird

Reaction score
As too ratio while turning being different, do you have the "adaptive steering" option I think it is called? If I remember correctly it either changes the ratio or power assist.
That's what I was wondering too, does he have Lane assist?

firebabe127

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm still in a bit of a pinch. Ever since I bought my new 2022 2500 6.7 big horn, it has been a nightmare to drive. I've adjusted tire pressure, had toe set to zero per Thuren spec, installed Thuren trac bar, steering brace, fox ats, and I just can't seem to get it right. Dealership and truck shop have inspected front end and found nothing. I have driven other Cummins that tracked straight even with wore out front ends. Mine is just left and then right, back and forth, WONT TRACK STRAIGHT! I now have 10k miles on it. I have read countless other posts from other ram hd owners that bought new rams with same issues but have yet to find a solid resolution. If anyone has been through the ringer also and has found a resolution, please do share. Thanks so much
Put rear adjustable control arms from core 4x4. Install then have alignment adjusted with rear thrust angle and set to 0 or close as possible. That got rid of our crabbing problem. It's not a front end problem it's a rear end problem. I have a 2024 2500 Laramie Mega Cab. Had this problem with my 2017 but wasn't bad so didn't do anything about it. This new one is lifted and has bigger tires so it was very noticeable and something needed to be done. My husband has a lot of friends at the dealership so he uses them. My husband does all the work then uses the dealership for the alignment or whatever needs extra help with something.

CdnHO

Reaction score
When I first bought my truck I thought the steering sucked. Felt like cracks in the pavement pushing me arouond. Only to figure out that Lane Assist was kicking the steering trying to stay in the lane. Now I just ignore it.

firebabe127

Reaction score
When I first bought my truck I thought the steering sucked. Felt like cracks in the pavement pushing me arouond. Only to figure out that Lane Assist was kicking the steering trying to stay in the lane. Now I just ignore it.

firebabe127

Reaction score
My husband drives a Durango
My husband drives a Durango that has lane assist. His Dodge mechanic friend told him how to go into the computer and turn it off. You might want to try asking a mechanic at the dealership? I'm pretty sure I went into the vehicle screen and turned it off in my 24 2500 Mega Cab. I'll go back in there and look for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread