Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering feels loose

Possum

Reaction score
This is my first solid axle truck since my 1979 Chevy so maybe this is typical. But it feels like it's getting worse. I can rock the steering wheel about an inch or more in each direction while driving. And you gotta pay attention to keep it in the lane. I don't recall it being like that when I picked it up a month ago.

What can go loose on a solid front axle and does anyone have torque specs for the steering components?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zrojas

Reaction score
This is my first solid axle truck since my 1979 Chevy so maybe this is typical. But it feels like it's getting worse. I can rock the steering wheel about an inch or more in each direction while driving. And you gotta pay attention to keep it in the lane. I don't recall it being like that when I picked it up a month ago.

What can go loose on a solid front axle and does anyone have torque specs for the steering components?

I attached the torque specification pages from the service manual for steering and front suspension. If there is anything that you are looking for specifically that's not included let me know. View attachment Torque spec1.pdfView attachment Torque spec2.pdfView attachment Torque spec3.pdfView attachment Torque spec4.pdf

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

npurdy1112

Reaction score
My steering wheel has the same amount of movement before getting a response from the steering components. To me everything feels normal for a truck of its size.

Possum

Reaction score
Just measured it and I've got over 3" of movement while the truck is off.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Because it’s a solid axle vehicle the truck will actually shift some on the suspension when you turn the wheel. My stock 2016 Wrangler was the same way.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Just measured it and I've got over 3" of movement while the truck is off.

How much movement with the steering gear pressurized and the truck stationary? Recirc/ball steering gears can seem overly sloppy until the hyd pressure is up. I can move my wheel about two to three inches when the engine is off but it always returns to the same point. On the road it steers as well as a half ton with a rack.

RLange

Reaction score
My 2500 with 1500 miles on it does the same thing.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
My 2500 with 1500 miles on it does the same thing.

Sorry to hear this, RLange. If you decide to address this with your dealer and you are in need of any additional support for that process, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread