Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STAR CASE S2014000002 Metal Or Other Debris Contamination In The High Pressure Fuel System (aka CP4.2)

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Cummins3

Reaction score
I reading it right this only applies if they find contamination?? How would we even get dealer to test and what if it's clean??

mostcorey95

Reaction score
Per protocol of the dealer I work with is tank sample and fuel rail drained into a container. You can pull the fca actuator between the pump heads. Removing that will let you see if it started to destroy or if it went out. IMG_3356.jpg

Cummins3

Reaction score
After we remove that if it looks clean should b ok if there is small debris in there we r f*ed..... That sounds good for now if we r good nothing will be done....if it's bad do u know what they are Changi g the cp4.2 with???? Another cp4.2?????? ...

mostcorey95

Reaction score
After we remove that if it looks clean should b ok if there is small debris in there we r f*ed..... That sounds good for now if we r good nothing will be done....if it's bad do u know what they are Changi g the cp4.2 with???? Another cp4.2?????? ...

Yeah if the follow the protocol as of now it’s another cp4 if approved.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

If there's any debris, the truck is probably already down.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Well I would hope if a recall came out it would be to replace with cp3 if that the pump they went with and not another ticking time bomb...... Brutal then the TSB/star is useless for us hoping to get a new pump if ours hasn't granaded yet.... The star case just proves that there is something wrong and them going to the new pump solidifies they know it's a problem and hopefully something come of it.... Im so sick to my stomach as others are with cummins or ram whoever decided to go with this piece of sh*t pump as I'm sure everyone with half a brain that owns a 19-20 is too..

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The chance of a TSB/recall to install CP3 pumps would be higher if it weren't for the (reported) difference in engine front cover. It's not just a quick pump and a couple lines swap. The chance of Cummins making a special CP3 to fit the existing cover for 2019-2020 trucks is also pretty slim.

Last edited:

Cummins3

Reaction score
Let's cross our fingers and hope they thought of us 19-20 guys and made a adaptor or something

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The chance of a TSB/recall to install CP3 pumps would be higher if it weren't for the (reported) difference in engine front cover. It's not just a quick pump and a couple lines swap. The chance of Cummins making a special CP3 to fit the existing cover for 2019-2020 trucks is also pretty slim.

GASP! From you?!?!? Of all people!

I never....

StoneMountain

Reaction score
Well I would hope if a recall came out it would be to replace with cp3 if that the pump they went with and not another ticking time bomb...... Brutal then the TSB/star is useless for us hoping to get a new pump if ours hasn't granaded yet.... The star case just proves that there is something wrong and them going to the new pump solidifies they know it's a problem and hopefully something come of it.... Im so sick to my stomach as others are with cummins or ram whoever decided to go with this piece of sh*t pump as I'm sure everyone with half a brain that owns a 19-20 is too..
This literally has every 19-20 owner sick . It really hit the gut with the 21’s coming equipped with CP3’s. I highly doubt a recall would happen.

2Many12Valves

Reaction score
Not to ruffle feathers of current owners of 19/20‘s...There’s no denying this is a bad situation for Ram owners FCA Bosch and Cummins. This is probably easier for someone like me to say because I don’t own one of these trucks.
my thoughts (if I were in the position) Am I going to keep the truck pass warranty? Am I going to be able to enjoy myself on long trips without thinking what if? should I dump it now before the dealers realize these trucks are going to be yard art for their lots? just ride it out until I hit warranty? I’m sharing my thoughts because I have close friends who were involved with Fords 6.0 and watched and heard how much of a hit they took on resale once the public caught on. I really don’t think this is going to be as bad as Fords 6.0 but only time will tell that.
If FCA/RAM would replace there Brokedown truck with a rental of equal capabilities my decision would be to keep the truck through warranty, my livelihood relies on a heavy duty truck and a 1500 or a jeep doesn’t pull the weight!
I decided to post this here because it’s beginning to look like they’re going to replace the problem with the problem and to me that is a problem...

Last edited:

craigw

Reaction score
I have contemplate a variety of things with the CP4.2. I have a 2019 HO. To date I have had zero problems but so very concerned and worried that my pump may fail at any time. No matter who or how or if it is covered it is aggravating and expensive. I have seriously contemplated buying a CP3 kit for some "insurance." I am fairly mechanically included and just not sure if that is above my pay grade or not.

Webracin

Reaction score
I will keep you posted on the outcome.

I was pulling my 15K 5er on the start of our vacation. Had the cruise set and no issues at all. About 150 miles into the trip, the truck just shut off and a message poped up with "Exhaust Service Required...See Dealer". The truck would not start back up. Had it towed to the closest dealer and they are going to look at it on Monday.

In the mean time, had the camper towed to a campground and paying $65 a night to wait on the verdict and no transportation. If it is the CP4 pump, i would hope FCA would cover some of the costs, since this is obviously a known issue.

Webracin

Reaction score
Well its official! I am another victim of the CP4. Looks like parts are available and will be here tomorrow, but repairs will take at least 4 days.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Well its official! I am another victim of the CP4. Looks like parts are available and will be here tomorrow, but repairs will take at least 4 days.

That sucks...

At least they can get the parts...Are they compensating you for living expenses and a rental??

Webracin

Reaction score
That sucks...

At least they can get the parts...Are they compensating you for living expenses and a rental??
Well called them today and was told there is no options to be reimbursed for any expenses beyond the repair of the truck, so if your traveling away from home, and your transportation dies in the middle of nowhere, you can expect that hotels and a rental car are your expense while your vehicle is in the shop for at least a week!

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Well called them today and was told there is no options to be reimbursed for any expenses beyond the repair of the truck, so if your traveling away from home, and your transportation dies in the middle of nowhere, you can expect that hotels and a rental car are your expense while your vehicle is in the shop for at least a week!
Bummer...

Users who are viewing this thread