Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stake pocket rack

jbt816

Reaction score
Hello all,

Is anyone aware of a rack (cargo/kayak/ladder/anything) that will only mount in the stake pockets along the rail? I've got an UltraFlex tonneau so I can't (don't want to) mount a rack system along and inside the bed rails. I've not found anything on the world wide interweb. Thanks in advance.

jbt816

Reaction score
I've had a Vantech before on a different truck but not this particular rack. Good rack I liked it. It doesn't look like it would work with my cover because it's got a bracket that lips over the bed rail. The other one might work. I did find a Putco that looked great but it was a mid-rise on height and the kayaks need to go over the cab. Adarac had one that looked like it would work and reasonably priced, but I ended up building/welding a rack for the back of the RV. I still may buy the Adarac. https://shop.agricover.com/product/...PDYHUztwIssL-ckc63wfa9A9-1s5zXbRoCTnkQAvD_BwE

GBourne

Reaction score
Not sure if it’s compatible with your cover or not, but backrack makes headache and ladder rack options that are compatible with various soft covers.

Chuck754

Reaction score
An inexpensive rail system for a truck with a tonneau cover is to buy a uni-strut from a hardware store. A 10 ft strut is about $20 maybe less for the lighter weight one. They are used for various applications but mostly for holding conduit or plumbing. They can be cut to length, have caps for both ends and you can buy loads of fasteners that fit them for wide applications. So you could screw them down to each stake pocket. You could make a cross member at any height (kayak over cab) using additional uni-struts or build one out of wood that fastens to the rail. Nice thing is the rail would be easily detached and stored and no welding or holes in your truck rail. There are two size/weight struts at Home Depot or Lowe’s. The lighter is only about 1” thick and has spring nut fasteners that can be run down the rail anywhere you need it. I have a strut in the garage and I’ll snap a picture of the strut and a 1/4” mobile nut in its channel to clarify what I am talking about.
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread