Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SRW VS DRW lift kit

Beranimus

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 SRW and there aren't a lot of lift options I can find. I'm currently running a ReadyLift leveling kit and it fits my 37's with minor triming but I want to go just a little bigger. Rough country has a good looking 5" kit but it's only for DRW. Anyone know the difference? I'm fairly certain the rear axle is larger on the DRW. Would that mean all I would need is different sized u-bolts and the rest of the kit would work?
Thanks for the help

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You've looked at Carli or Thuren?

Pretty sure the main axle tube is the same 4" on the 3500 SRW/DRW, they both run the 12" AAM diff. The SRW is necked down at the hub where the DRW is not.

Beranimus

Reaction score
Ya I have both are around a 3" lift. Bds does have a 4" but that's about all I can find that not crazy expensive.

Beranimus

Reaction score
Incase any one was curious. I contacted rough country for a second time and and was advised the only difference is in fact rear u-bolts.

Verado300

Reaction score
Same here. I have been in contact with BDS regularly, and they told me by email 2 weeks ago that their 6" lift for the Ram 3500 swr will be out very soon. The 2019 and 2020 2500-3500 has a newly designed front drive shaft where they eliminated the cardan joint that was causing the issue for them, and every other lift manufacturer that cares enough to get it right on these larger lifts. They said they have the vibration issue resolved, just manufacturing the kits now. I wished I knew what their definition of "very soon" is.

Last edited:

Beranimus

Reaction score
That's great news. I'd love to run a bds kit instead of rough country. Nothing against RC but I like me some BDS

Verado300

Reaction score
That's great news. I'd love to run a bds kit instead of rough country. Nothing against RC but I like me some BDS
BDS told me today that their 6" kit will be out in mid October. They have the 2-3-4 inch lifts out now.

Verado300

Reaction score
You rock. I’ve been waiting for the 6”. Thanks for the update
They said the kits are all done except for the new indexing ring. That was the hold up in r&d, that or a new front driveshaft. They got it solved with the new indexing ring, thank God.

MikeXM

Reaction score
You've looked at Carli or Thuren?

Pretty sure the main axle tube is the same 4" on the 3500 SRW/DRW, they both run the 12" AAM diff. The SRW is necked down at the hub where the DRW is not.
I've seen this. SRW and DRW seems to be different.
  • AAM 11.5-in. beam rear axle (2500 and 3500 limited-slip, locking differentials on Power Wagon)
  • AAM 12.0-in. beam rear axle (3500 max tow)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen this. SRW and DRW seems to be different.
  • AAM 11.5-in. beam rear axle (2500 and 3500 limited-slip, locking differentials on Power Wagon)
  • AAM 12.0-in. beam rear axle (3500 max tow)

My 2020 3500 SRW HO has a 12" AAM.

MikeXM

Reaction score
My 2020 3500 SRW HO has a 12" AAM.
Yeah. That litterature was for 2019 models, and pretty sure they are identical to 2020. Probably another thing they forgot to update in their docs.

Squatch

Reaction score
Check out the reviews on the BDS track bar. Thats the only thing that’d make me think twice. Many reports of them snapping at their mounting points.

Hockeydad55

Reaction score
The Rough Country will not work with the Aisin tranny according to a guy on you tube that was trying to get his dully done. I also contacted bds a few days ago and spoke with a chic that had no clue about the 6” kit. She said they were having the vibration problems so I hope she had no clue what she was talking about and the kit is ready soon. And has far as the trac bar get a Carli one then. I have been looking for lift kits hard for a little bit now and the only company I found with a 6” lift for the 2020 3500 is pure performance. There kit looks just like Carli but they say you have to get your front driveshaft lengthened 2” inches. So I was trying to find a company that made longer driveshaft’s but hope bds gets there’s out soon rather go that way because they will have radius arms instead of drop brackets like Carli and pure performance.

Verado300

Reaction score
The Rough Country will not work with the Aisin tranny according to a guy on you tube that was trying to get his dully done. I also contacted bds a few days ago and spoke with a chic that had no clue about the 6” kit. She said they were having the vibration problems so I hope she had no clue what she was talking about and the kit is ready soon. And has far as the trac bar get a Carli one then. I have been looking for lift kits hard for a little bit now and the only company I found with a 6” lift for the 2020 3500 is pure performance. There kit looks just like Carli but they say you have to get your front driveshaft lengthened 2” inches. So I was trying to find a company that made longer driveshaft’s but hope bds gets there’s out soon rather go that way because they will have radius arms instead of drop brackets like Carli and pure performance.
I replied to your message, along with the link for the company that makes new front driveshafts for the Rams.

Verado300

Reaction score
FYI, the BDS 6" kits are out.

Hockeydad55

Reaction score
FYI, the BDS 6" kits are out.
Thats awesome glad i waited also i noticed that you said you sent a thread with a company that does custom driveshafts. I never received it could you resend? I have tried adams and i think toms driveshafts and they are trying to do one for that year but having problems.

Verado300

Reaction score
Sorry, my mistake. Here it is. They are very good people to work with. BDS said a new front driveshaft is not needed on these kits, but will be on the upcoming 8" kits.

Hockeydad55

Reaction score
Sorry, my mistake. Here it is. They are very good people to work with. BDS said a new front driveshaft is not needed on these kits, but will be on the upcoming 8" kits.
Are you going with the 6” or 8” lift

Verado300

Reaction score
Are you going with the 6” or 8” lift
Sorry for the delay..I ordered their 6" on 12/9. As of today, my dealer has received 1/2 of the order. Still waiting on the radius arms, recoil traction bars, and 2 of the Fox 2.0 shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread