Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speedo Recal?

NomadPNW

Reaction score
So I just picked up the new tires and they are 295/70r18 which comes out to 34.30 for the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. So on the truck and chalk tested they are from the top of the tire to the ground a hair over 33s. I have the AEV ProCal so I can adjusted the speedo. Should I even bother since top of the tire is 33 which is same size as factory. Or the sidewall side since with no weight it’s most likely 34 haha 46B12888-81ED-47EB-8C4D-E55786DE7760.jpeg

jadmt

Reaction score
Pro cal uses actual height so no need but you can easily check your speed to make sure using a gps or phone speedo app.

NomadPNW

Reaction score
Pro cal uses actual height so no need but you can easily check your speed to make sure using a gps or phone speedo app.
So if they measure out to the same size with weight on them there is no need to recalibrate? Also the ProCal is not left in the vehicle you plug it in adjust and unplug. Least the one for the 19s works this way.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I wouldn't just trust the tire height to be "similar". Use a GPS speed app on your cell and go at highway speed on a flat straight length. You will see if you need adjustment or not.

jadmt

Reaction score
I wouldn't just trust the tire height to be "similar". Use a GPS speed app on your cell and go at highway speed on a flat straight length. You will see if you need adjustment or not.
Yup that is what i would do.

MikeXM

Reaction score
So I just picked up the new tires and they are 295/70r18 which comes out to 34.30 for the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. So on the truck and chalk tested they are from the top of the tire to the ground a hair over 33s. I have the AEV ProCal so I can adjusted the speedo. Should I even bother since top of the tire is 33 which is same size as factory. Or the sidewall side since with no weight it’s most likely 34 haha View attachment 7952
BTW the 33in oem size tires probably sit at 31.5 on the truck. So yah, those RG will give you a different (faster) speed than indicated.
Save a ticket, calibrate your truck.

Distillusion

Reaction score
If you don't calibrate to the new tire size, no big deal, but your odometer will also read about 10-12% lower mileage traveled than actual. And in turn, your comp will determine about the same loss in mpg. Just fyi.

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
If you don't calibrate to the new tire size, no big deal, but your odometer will also read about 10-12% lower mileage traveled than actual. And in turn, your comp will determine about the same loss in mpg. Just fyi.
So the MPG comp might be pretty close! That's about how much mine is off.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm so you say run 42'' and don't recalibrate and justify to wife by having higher re-sale value... genius! =p

Users who are viewing this thread