Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed and Gear ratio programming for larger tires

nozzzzz

Reaction score
Need some suggestions from the Forum?
Have a new 2024 Ram 2500, Big Horn, 4x4 that I would like to upsize the stock 285/60/20 tires to 35/12.5/20 and will need to update the speed and gear ration to finalize.
Don't want to purchase the new tires until I have an understanding on the programmer, if I can get one and any comments suggestions.
If this can be tied into a programmer with even greater ability, that may also be useful but for now, speed and gear ratio change.
The 35 inch takes the speed up about 3 mph at 65 mph.
Truck has the 3.73 rear end and the charts say the adjustment need to take to about 4.1 to get optimal overall performance.
While on chip programmers are any actually beneficial for performance tuning, what is realistic there?

Appreciate any all help here.

THNX

NC Rebel

Reaction score
The bags are great and very well made. I haven't had any issues with them since installed.

nozzzzz

Reaction score
You have any idea if they are current (2024)?
I saw AlphaOBD stuff, OBD link Mx+ online for sale.
Also saw reference to vgate on the forum which is half the price as the AlphaOBD stuff, seems to be good as well.
I may need to call the manufacturer directly as they don't state 2024 manageable and this is all electronic, digital stuff so something as simple as not having the correct date stamp can make something useless.
Lastly, any idea if this type of chip being used has an impact on warranty?
I don't mind walking away from warranties after about 3 years but not until I am sure everything is working properly and enough time elapsed to truly evaluate.
THNX again for your help.......

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I used this to update computer to match my 35" tires. It also has a throttle booster built in which completely changes how the truck drives (MUCH better).

Absolutely no complaints.. great little box that has many other features as well.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You
You have any idea if they are current (2024)?
I saw AlphaOBD stuff, OBD link Mx+ online for sale.
Also saw reference to vgate on the forum which is half the price as the AlphaOBD stuff, seems to be good as well.
I may need to call the manufacturer directly as they don't state 2024 manageable and this is all electronic, digital stuff so something as simple as not having the correct date stamp can make something useless.
Lastly, any idea if this type of chip being used has an impact on warranty?
I don't mind walking away from warranties after about 3 years but not until I am sure everything is working properly and enough time elapsed to truly evaluate.
THNX again for your help.......

You seem to be mixing up and conflating several things.

Truck year (currently for RAM) is irrelevant for OBDII readers. As long as it's a reliable and fast ELM327 reader. The OBDLink MX/MX+ and vGate vLinker MC/MC+ are recommended as they're supported by the app devs and known to work properly without breaking your BCM. Only issue I've had with MC+ is the BLE and my S9 don't seem to play well.

The "+" version of these readers works with iOS (Apple). The MX+ also comes with a free brand specific one time license (if needed) for custom PID's/access.

With AlfaOBD, as long as you back up your BCM, anything you break should be recoverable.

Jscan is currently the only one that will program FOBs.

These apps are not PROGRAMMERS per se. They simply alter existing settings already present in the modules.

"While on chip programmers are any actually beneficial for performance tuning, what is realistic there?"

Now you're talking about tuning devices? JScan and AlfaOBD are phone/PC apps that only modify settings in some of the truck modules, they don't allow any sort of tuning. Besides, the 24 ECU/PCM is locked.

Plug-in tuners or tuners that re-flash the ECU/PCM don't have nearly the flexibility for altering settings in the BCM that the others do. They usually only include altering speedo, removing speed limiter, etc. and a few others specific to the truck (exhaust brake control on Cummins).

nozzzzz

Reaction score
OK, for now am only looking to adjust speed and gear ratio for the larger tires.
This is all new to me, hence the questions on what to do that will be simple and work as requested though some throttle adjustment would be great as the 2500 with the 6.4 is much more sluggish than the 5.7 in the 1500 I just left.
Now if it could get anywhere near the 6.4 in the Challenger I have that would be a lot of fun.
There have been a few comments that seem directed at the 6.7 Cummins diesel. This truck is the 6.4 Hemi.
THNX

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, for now am only looking to adjust speed and gear ratio for the larger tires.
This is all new to me, hence the questions on what to do that will be simple and work as requested though some throttle adjustment would be great as the 2500 with the 6.4 is much more sluggish than the 5.7 in the 1500 I just left.
Now if it could get anywhere near the 6.4 in the Challenger I have that would be a lot of fun.
There have been a few comments that seem directed at the 6.7 Cummins diesel. This truck is the 6.4 Hemi.
THNX

This is the first time you’ve mentioned what engine you have in this thread. If you fill out your signature it would be helpful to people posting answers to your questions.

So you’re planning to re-gear as well? If you want more throttle response put lower gears in, such as 4.56’s instead of 4.10’s.

Seems odd to regear to 4.10’s on a new truck that you could have bought with 4.10’s.

nozzzzz

Reaction score
This is the first time you’ve mentioned what engine you have in this thread. If you fill out your signature it would be helpful to people posting answers to your questions.

So you’re planning to re-gear as well? If you want more throttle response put lower gears in, such as 4.56’s instead of 4.10’s.
Not re gearing.
Just adjusting the ratio when I do the speed.
Speed charts show an increase in speed of 3mph at 65mph and from what I've read on the subject, that requires a ratio adjustment as well from the 3.73 up to about 4.10........
THNX for reminder on the truck info in the signature.
Had mentioned in a previous thread but failed to in this one.....

THNX

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Not re gearing.
Just adjusting the ratio when I do the speed.
Speed charts show an increase in speed of 3mph at 65mph and from what I've read on the subject, that requires a ratio adjustment as well from the 3.73 up to about 4.10........
THNX for reminder on the truck info in the signature.
Had mentioned in a previous thread but failed to in this one.....

THNX

That’s not how that works. Changing the gear ratio is physically putting new gears in the axles, and then updating the computer to know what gearing you installed.

Everything you’ve read about going from 3.73’s to 4.10’s is about physically regearing to get performance back.

If all you want to do is correct the speedo then you just need the software that’s been mentioned to change tire size.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I use the procal snap for my tire size and when I regeared my truck....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Does AlfaOBD publically state that anywhere? I took a quick view of their site and didn't see anything.

Here is AEV's info:

View attachment 67507

That’s marketing, plain and simple. Technically nothing voids your warranty and there is the Magnusun Moss Act to back it up. It comes down to it being worth the fight.

You are altering parameters with both, if the BCM bricks making a tire size adjustment with the ProCal or Alfa and the dealership finds out your warranty claim is very likely to be denied regardless of what their website says.

Enve46

Reaction score
Because I joined the Apple cult years back I just used JScan for the first time. Great results, easy to use and couldn’t recommend it more. I wanted Alfa but they don’t support Apple.

I bought the OBDLink MX+, kaodtech security bypass cable and everything worked great. Adjusted tires to 36.5 and tire pressures front and rear.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Your speaking on an issue which you have no understanding of - the ProCal SNAP is a fenced tool which only permits a few variables to be adjusted within certain limits such as tire size, gearing, etc. and this must be completed through the radio. There is zero possibility of anything being bricked.

AlfaOBD is like the wild west and permits virtually everything to be adjusted and mistakes entered. Until you are able to post something from them that clearly states their tool will not void a warranty I would ask you to correct your previous post.

You are not understanding the systems. Both AlfaOBD and ProCal make the same adjustments in the BCM, only the user interface is different.

There is never a 0% chance of bricking a computer making changes to it, but both items have the same nearly zero chance.

There is nothing to correct, other than your knowledge of what both systems are doing to effect tire size.

We are simply discussing adjusting tire size here, if you own AlfaOBD (which you stated you do) there isn’t a single benefit to buying a ProCal to adjust your tire size unless you hate your money.

This is not a discussion on the overall capabilities of AlfaOBD.

It’s also not up to any aftermarket company to decide if their product voids a warranty or not. It’s up to the vehicle manufacturer to prove that the aftermarket product did the damage, but most the time it’s cheaper to accept the warranty denial and repair the product yourself than it is to fight the vehicle manufacturer when they void your claim.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread