Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southwestern PA - Just about to order a Big Horn 2500

Ugzuul

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been enjoying my 2020 RAM 1500 Big Horn for over a year, pulling a 24' Coachman Freedom Express trailer. While the 1500 is mostly good for the task, I was right up against my 1700# payload, and since we're planning some mountain trips with lots of potential for strong cross winds, we're going to go with the 2500. I hope to get the order in tomorrow (12/06/21). I'll keep you all posted.

Ugzuul

alwaysonguard

Reaction score
Similar story, moving from the F150 with a 29' travel trailer. Good enough in the flats of MN, but across Western ND and MT it really worked hard. Not comfortable driving. The 2500 w/Hemi will add 1200 lbs to the payload number. Looking forward to that extra room and control with the bigger truck.

Ugzuul

Reaction score
I think there is a term for this sort of activity... Starting out with a modest truck (a Tacoma in our case) and a smaller trailer (rPod 190 in our case), and deciding that the trailer is just a bit too cramped, with not quite enough storage space, etc. Then you opt or a bigger trailer, and find that it's too big for something like a Tacoma. So, you get a bigger truck! "A Ram 1500 should handle it". After lots of miles in all sorts of conditions, you realize that a little bigger truck would be better able to handle the larger trailer and all those toys... eBikes, kayaks, generators, etc.
So, now with the Ram 2500 ordered, my wife casually mentions that there is and RV show in Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks. And... Since I'm getting a bigger truck, maybe time to look at a trailer with more counter space, a larger oven, etc.

Pulling it

Reaction score
I think there is a term for this sort of activity... Starting out with a modest truck (a Tacoma in our case) and a smaller trailer (rPod 190 in our case), and deciding that the trailer is just a bit too cramped, with not quite enough storage space, etc. Then you opt or a bigger trailer, and find that it's too big for something like a Tacoma. So, you get a bigger truck! "A Ram 1500 should handle it". After lots of miles in all sorts of conditions, you realize that a little bigger truck would be better able to handle the larger trailer and all those toys... eBikes, kayaks, generators, etc.
So, now with the Ram 2500 ordered, my wife casually mentions that there is and RV show in Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks. And... Since I'm getting a bigger truck, maybe time to look at a trailer with more counter space, a larger oven, etc.
Make sure you know your payload and towing capabilities of your specific truck before you go camper shopping.

alwaysonguard

Reaction score
I think the term is "scope creep". We're keeping our trailer for now. Camper shows are in February...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Pulling it

Reaction score
I think the term is "scope creep". We're keeping our trailer for now. Camper shows are in February...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Lol we did that for years . Then we bought a large 5er last spring and I had to upgrade from a 2500 Cummins to a 3500 dually Cummins HO to comfortably head out west next summer. We where well over our numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread