Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something followed us home.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Added another HeftyDuty to the fleet.IMG_20230629_064918.jpg
It is a 2015 RAM 2500. This time with the 5.7 Hemi. It is so weird the differences between our other 2015. It has the upgrade radio...but no back up camera. Has the overhead console, but no slider in the rear window. It does not have backup sensors. It oddly sets a bit higher than the other (6.4l weighs more?)

The previous owner welded the reducer sleeve in the receiver and weirdly drilled a new hole. So he effectively reduced the capacity...but I bought a new 2 inch ball mount rates at 7500 lbs.

It has brand new BF Goodwrench tires...my favorite I have owned.

The black bug shield, fender flares and pinstripe along with the chrome mirrors set the two apart.

Interesting how the 6.4l is a 10k truck and the 5.7 is only a 9k truck...from 2998 lbs of payload with the 392 HEMI to 2076 with the 345 Hemi.

The truck runs great. It needs an exhaust...so as soon as we get back from the forest I will be ordering the muffler delete fot it.

Anxious to tow with it. We leave Sunday to go to one forest then on the next Sunday to another and the next to another. I think Sunday I will tow with the 6.4 and next Sunday with the 5.7

We are headed out for 21 days of off grid camping...so, when we get back I may be able to add to our HeftyDuty collage.Screenshot_20230413-114929.png
Oddly enough...back in 2018, this was the same asking price for my 6.4l...Covid ruined everything...I wish people would find a new station wagon so us guys who use trucks can get them cheaper...IMG_20230628_204330.jpg

silver billet

Reaction score
Added another HeftyDuty to the fleet.View attachment 59081
It is a 2015 RAM 2500. This time with the 5.7 Hemi. It is so weird the differences between our other 2015. It has the upgrade radio...but no back up camera. Has the overhead console, but no slider in the rear window. It does not have backup sensors. It oddly sets a bit higher than the other (6.4l weighs more?)

The previous owner welded the reducer sleeve in the receiver and weirdly drilled a new hole. So he effectively reduced the capacity...but I bought a new 2 inch ball mount rates at 7500 lbs.

It has brand new BF Goodwrench tires...my favorite I have owned.

The black bug shield, fender flares and pinstripe along with the chrome mirrors set the two apart.

Interesting how the 6.4l is a 10k truck and the 5.7 is only a 9k truck...from 2998 lbs of payload with the 392 HEMI to 2021 with the 345 Hemi.

The truck runs great. It needs an exhaust...so as soon as we get back from the forest I will be ordering the muffler delete fot it.

Anxious to tow with it. We leave Sunday to go to one forest then on the next Sunday to another and the next to another. I think Sunday I will tow with the 6.4 and next Sunday with the 5.7

We are headed out for 21 days of off grid camping...so, when we get back I may be able to add to our HeftyDuty collage.View attachment 59080
Oddly enough...back in 2018, this was the same asking price for my 6.4l...Covid ruined everything...I wish people would find a new station wagon so us guys who use trucks can get them cheaper...View attachment 59079

You going to do the mustache delete?

I'm curious to hear your reports on the differences in towing.

silver billet

Reaction score
The numbers on paper.

5.7 3.73 gear...GVWR 9000
Door Sticker Payload 2076
GCWR 18300
6.4 3.73 gear... GVWR 10000
DSP 2998
GCWR 19800

You get a 1000 pounds more payload in the 6.4, all due to an increase in GVWR by the same amount. Is that just a legal/rating thing or are there actually physical differences other than the drive train?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
You get a 1000 pounds more payload in the 6.4, all due to an increase in GVWR by the same amount. Is that just a legal/rating thing or are there actually physical differences other than the drive train?
I surely hate getting into these payload debates. And I tried to use this very scenario numerous times in that debate.

Wish I had grab a pic the day I was looking...but the brake booster on the 5.7 Hemi and the 6.4 Are definitely different.

The GAWR for the 5.7 is 5250 front and 6200 rear. For the 6.4 5500 front and 6500 rear.

silver billet

Reaction score
I surely hate getting into these payload debates. And I tried to use this very scenario numerous times in that debate.

Wish I had grab a pic the day I was looking...but the brake booster on the 5.7 Hemi and the 6.4 Are definitely different.

The GAWR for the 5.7 is 5250 front and 6200 rear. For the 6.4 5500 front and 6500 rear.

I get it, the same debates can get tiring. I didn't want to drag this into a payload vs gvwr thing though, I was merely surprised that the gvwr actually changes (and apparently after reading your last past so does the axle ratings). Was just curious if there were actual physical differences in those trucks that would give those different numbers, or whether it was just a licensing/registration thing. I know for example the GM's will allow you to derate their trucks by ticking a box on the order page, no physical differences but it allows you to register your truck under (IIRC) 10000 pounds or something like that.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I get it, the same debates can get tiring. I didn't want to drag this into a payload vs gvwr thing though, I was merely surprised that the gvwr actually changes (and apparently after reading your last past so does the axle ratings). Was just curious if there were actual physical differences in those trucks that would give those different numbers, or whether it was just a licensing/registration thing. I know for example the GM's will allow you to derate their trucks by ticking a box on the order page, no physical differences but it allows you to register your truck under (IIRC) 10000 pounds or something like that.
As mentioned. The brake booster is definitely different. The axle ratings are as well.

The truth of the matter is also, the 6.4l is a true HeftyDuty truck engine...not a tuned half ton engine like the 5.7l.

The 5.7 went from 8800 GVWR in 2012 to 9000 in 2013(maybe 2011 to 2012) and then in 2014 when the 6.4l debuted was the first time a RAM 2500 gasser hit the 10k mark.

I didn't get to tow with the 5.7l yet, my wife decided she wanted too. But, I can tell you this...as far as pulling...it goes the lowly 3rd Gen 5.7 a big jump to the 4th Gen 5.7 truck and then the overall feel of the 6.4l and 8.0l V10 are both overall better. A sustained hill, the 8.0l is king...all other situations, the 6.4l reigns supreme. It gets the best fuel mileage,has the most overall power and just feels planted in every situation.

The 2nd Gen definitely lacks braking and control...but not too far off of the 3rd Gen.

Hoping to get the 5.7l 4th Gen to a scale with the camper.

Either way....I Love RAM trucks and am pleased with the new truck, too. Think the 3rd Gen is getting sold though.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
You going to do the mustache delete?

I'm curious to hear your reports on the differences in towing.
Completely forgot to come back to this thread.

So, empty! The loud exhaust on the 5.7 makes it "feel" faster. To be honest...I am not sure which one is. I would lay money that the 6.4l is...but it doesn't feel it.

MPG. We took a trip to Ohio. Same trip I have taken in the 6.4l. The lightweight got 15.6 the heavyweight had got 17.5! Both were running full tanks of Unleaded 88 E15!

Towing. The 6.4l and the Heavier setup wins hands down. But the 5.7 was no slouch. You could definitely feel that the 5.7 was lighter in the front and was much more interesting for breaking and steering. Where the 6.4l tows the camper fine with just a drop ball mount...the 5.7 could definitely use a WDH.

The 5.7 definitely needs the lower 1st and 2nd gear more often where the 6.4 loves 3rd.

I would definitely choose the whole package of the 6.4 over the 5.7, but in no way would I pass up a good deal on the lightweight either!

Users who are viewing this thread