Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some suggestions, code P258B and related problems

Shake N Bake

Reaction score
Truck is a 2021 Power Wagon 75A. On a recent trip, I had three instances while in 4LO where my brake pedal went to the floor. It felt as if I lost all vacuum brake assist. Conditions at the time this occurred, extended low speed downhill crawling. This was not a good feeling while negotiation switchbacks in Colorado. Once back to level ground, I switched back from 4LO to 2 wheel drive. On paved roads, the truck would not shift past 4th gear. Truck was revving high and it felt like I was still in 4 wheel drive even though it showed me back in 2 wheel drive. Fuel consumption was 6mpg on the short drive into Telluride. Once there I checked for codes and found P258B stored. I cleared the code and did a full reboot using Tazer. Once I did this, everything was fine, truck shifted in all gears and fuel consumption was back to normal. I was able to replicate the shifting issue once again on a dirt road, and again once I cleared the code and rebooted, everything was fine after that. Ive done some searching, and the code P258B seems associated with a vacuum assist pump. How / why would this affect my shifting / 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive system? Anyone have the location of the pump and tips on trouble shooting this? Id like to do my homework before it goes to the dealer. I get that low rpm crawling would cause low vacuum, but once back up to speed vacuum should improve and the truck shift normally again, right?

Users who are viewing this thread