Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soliciting Opinions on SO/HO Cummins

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Did you consider the chassis cab option? It checks several of your boxes. Better fuel mileage, Aisin, larger tank(s). The slightly detuned SO engine, 10HP/50TQ less and dual tanks for 74 gallons total were big for me. Part of my logic was that the lower power engine with the Aisin should be extremely reliable for the ages. Time will tell. Looks like I narrowly escaped the bad batch of Aisins. 46k miles so far and no problems. I would not hesitate to order another Aisin. I really like mine. The crude shifting must be a thing of the past.

I have no problem getting 20mpg if I stay under 70. And that's in a 10,000# dually, even heavier if it's full of fuel. Did I mention the 74 gallon capacity:) Plus I have an 85gal transfer tank on the bed. With 50/50 mix of towing big 5ers, I get 12-13 across the board so my towing numbers are in the single digits but my Dmax trucks were too. Seems pretty normal.

I was able to go with the C/C truck because I wanted a flatbed for pulling 5th wheels. I deliver several new campers and therefore would never have a regular pickup bed again. I realize flatbeds aren't for everyone though. Just an option maybe.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you consider the chassis cab option? It checks several of your boxes. Better fuel mileage, Aisin, larger tank(s). The slightly detuned SO engine, 10HP/50TQ less and dual tanks for 74 gallons total were big for me. Part of my logic was that the lower power engine with the Aisin should be extremely reliable for the ages. Time will tell. Looks like I narrowly escaped the bad batch of Aisins. 46k miles so far and no problems. I would not hesitate to order another Aisin. I really like mine. The crude shifting must be a thing of the past.

I have no problem getting 20mpg if I stay under 70. And that's in a 10,000# dually, even heavier if it's full of fuel. Did I mention the 74 gallon capacity:) Plus I have an 85gal transfer tank on the bed. With 50/50 mix of towing big 5ers, I get 12-13 across the board so my towing numbers are in the single digits but my Dmax trucks were too. Seems pretty normal.

I was able to go with the C/C truck because I wanted a flatbed for pulling 5th wheels. I deliver several new campers and therefore would never have a regular pickup bed again. I realize flatbeds aren't for everyone though. Just an option maybe.

The C&C is not a detuned SO, it’s a different motor.

wyvern

Reaction score

Honestly this doesn't sound like a bad option, and I'd even consider replacing the standard truck bed with a camper. However, one of my main thought paradigms throughout shopping for a truck was getting the absolute most utility out of it for at least the next decade to come.

Ideally, I'd like to use this asset for a very long time and for as many different things as possible. From moving, to hauling my project cars, to pulling a camper. I think the regular 8 ft truck bed just allows for the maximum utility for a wide range of use cases.

Since this is my first new modern diesel, I think I'll try out the regular crew cab with an 8 ft bed and see how it goes. Maybe I could try out a chassis cab on the next one.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Since this is my first new modern diesel, I think I'll try out the regular crew cab with an 8 ft bed and see how it goes.
Is there another kind? LOL

And yes I misspoke a bit calling the C/C engine a detuned SO. But it's not a different engine. Same engine with a few different parts one of which is the cam. There were a couple other differences too I just don't recall what. Maybe a different head, idk?

If you're not opposed to a custom bed, I think it's definitely worth a look. I don't think you can get a ME but you can definitely get a Limited. That's what I got. And if you don't spend a ton on the bed, it might even save you a few bucks, I did.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
And yes I misspoke a bit calling the C/C engine a detuned SO. But it's not a different engine. Same engine with a few different parts one of which is the cam. There were a couple other differences too I just don't recall what. Maybe a different head, idk?

It’s not any different that the SO and HO being different engines. They are the same series, ISB, and same displacement but they are different engines.

I think HO and C&C use the same pistons, they both have the same compression ratio.

The cam is different for C&C.

I think the injectors are the same for all 3 with 19+ engines.

I also recall the C&C having a slightly different turbo, same series turbo but a different part number.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My info as best I can find:

The head and cam are different SO - CC.

Anyone that wants to dig deeper can find all the parts info on Cummins Quickserve and/or Mopar*.

* I have gotten some conflicting info even using VINs from online Mopar parts stores.

1692567077740.png

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My info as best I can find:

The head and cam are different SO - CC.

Anyone that wants to dig deeper can find all the parts info on Cummins Quickserve and/or Mopar*.

* I have gotten some conflicting info even using VINs from online Mopar parts stores.

View attachment 61381

The pistons should also be different. CC has the same compression as HO, and I’d be very surprised if that’s all in the head… but quick serve does show the same piston but different head gaskets.

That’s a big compression ratio difference for a HG and a head on a diesel.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The pistons should also be different. CC has the same compression as HO, and I’d be very surprised if that’s all in the head… but quick serve does show the same piston but different head gaskets.

That’s a big compression ratio difference for a HG and a head on a diesel.

According to what I recorded, the HO pistons/kit differ from the SO/CC. The SO/CC pistons/kits are the same.

zach@granger

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Granger in IA also does deep discounts. Reach out to @zach@granger here on the forum.

There's quite a few threads discussing discounts off MSRP and dealer threads as well.

I did my factory order deal with the local Autonation sales manager and got around 4% under invoice, ~11% off MSRP. You could get into that Limited for those savings. Don't regret it for one minute. The better leather, lights, etc. are all worth it.

Also if you're considering any extended Maxcare (official) warranty, Granger has been doing them for $50 over cost, about the same you'll pay going to a discounted online option like Zeigler. Do a little more research on this before purchasing.

I also used the warranty and financing as leverage to get my dealer to take a $35K deposit on my United Club (miles) card. ;-)
Thanks for the note!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
According to what I recorded, the HO pistons/kit differ from the SO/CC. The SO/CC pistons/kits are the same.

That's the same thing I found, it's just surprising since the compression ratios of the HO and CC are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread