Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Socket Sizes?

RHINO69

Reaction score
My PW is going to be my first vehicle that will require SAE tools. Coming over from a long history of Toyotas, all I currently have is Metric tools. Hoping someone here can advise which socket sizes are needed for suspension work. Going to be installing Thuren springs and trackbar soon, so I just want to know which sizes are going to be needed.

TIA!

jadmt

Reaction score
wtf, really? lol
yup American trucks have been metric for a long time. they are either going to be 8.8 or 10.9 grade bolts....now some metric and sae cross over like 19mm and 3/4 can be interchanged.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Is it even worth looking for the Teflon sockets for lugnut protection considering the 130 ft/lb torque? I have a feeling they wouldn't really last against too many ugga-duggas.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Almost 30 years ago all vehicles switched to metric

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it even worth looking for the Teflon sockets for lugnut protection considering the 130 ft/lb torque? I have a feeling they wouldn't really last against too many ugga-duggas.

Perhaps, I've never found the need but then I haven't used them to do a tire change on the truck either. They worked great when I had a trailer tire run flat. I also keep an old 4-way speed wrench in the toolbox though I don't think that one fits the truck lugs..

ClawSS

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO , as you know it's just a cosmetic thing on black lugnuts. You hammer on black lugnuts with a "normal" socket and it can break the coating leading to rust or just an ugly appearance that a lugnut like me may not like.
I also have never used a set and only piggybacked on this thread (sorry @kennyarsen) to see if there were experiences to be noted.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Brutal_HO , as you know it's just a cosmetic thing on black lugnuts. You hammer on black lugnuts with a "normal" socket and it can break the coating leading to rust or just an ugly appearance that a lugnut like me may not like.
I also have never used a set and only piggybacked on this thread (sorry @kennyarsen) to see if there were experiences to be noted.

I haven't seen any of those sockets that have an inner lining other than the cap end of the lug, It's still steel on steel on the 6-point.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
And your RAM has a snazzy conversion table on the underside of the center console lid!
Really? I will have to look later i have the jump seat so maybe i don't have it? I already know the conversions but it would be cool if i do have it

jadmt

Reaction score
Really? I will have to look later i have the jump seat so maybe i don't have it? I already know the conversions but it would be cool if i do have it
I just went and looked on my 2020 and I don't have it...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

You have at least one, possibly up to 3 Easter Eggs total on your HD RAM depending on model and how it's optioned.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You have at least one, possibly up to 3 Easter Eggs total on your HD RAM depending on model and how it's optioned.

I have 0 of those lol i guess thats what i get for having a tradesman as my work truck!

jadmt

Reaction score
my 2018 Rubicon Recon had all kind of easter eggs. I have not found many on my lowly level 1 power wagon..

Users who are viewing this thread