Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So my wife ruined it for me ……

BadRam3500

Reaction score
So after waiting so long for the AEV snorkel to come out for my 2021 prospector- look - alike
I decided to show a pic to my wife of said snorkel and ask if she liked it .
“Yuck, why would you put that on ?”
I was like , “it’s badass”
She was having none of that .
She said it looked gay .
She asked me why would I put something like that on my truck that looks so tough .
After some back and fourth she finally explains why it looks gay to her …..
She said it looked like that chef “salt bae” sprinkling salt on a steak.
After cracking up for a while now I’ve come to the realization that I cannot unsee that **** lmao .
So basically I bought the truck solely to make it look like a prospector XL and have a snorkel and she killed it lmao

Attachments

• 1086740D-F308-438A-9447-31BF9562C1CF.jpeg
    1086740D-F308-438A-9447-31BF9562C1CF.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 97

amauri

Reaction score
A snorkel on a African safari truck out in the bush looks about right.
A snorkel on a urban truck looks out of place and foolish IMO (or gay as the DW said)

Firebird

Reaction score
Not a big fan of snorkels, kind of takes away from the nice lines of the Ram

slowindown

Reaction score
The snorkels look dumb to me unless they’ll actually be used, in which case they still don’t look pretty. Just functional. OTOH, if you like it, that’s what really matters.

spinned

Reaction score
Personally I think snorkels are dumb. Tell me when you’d ever want to use an 80k-100k truck like that. And don’t forget the differential breather tubes, electronics, seals, and the salt or grime you’d get rotting out the body. Certainly not for me.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Back in the '70s there was a back-yard cut-and weld-anything mechanic in the town of Duvall, WA, near me. He hand-built one of the first real snorkel rigs I'd seen and installed it on a souped-up CJ-5 jeep he had. Somehow he enclosed/protected the electrical system/sparkplugs from shorting out, bolted on the snorkel, donned a scuba outfit and drove across the Snoqualmie River under water. The river at that point was probably 100' across and around 8-10' deep; enough to completely submerge the jeep (maybe the top of the roll bar was exposed). His last name was Kuntz and he had a reputation for decades of building the most outlandish junk-car hot rods. Some of his rigs would burn the rubber down to the rims even on 4-wheel drives. None of them were 'pretty' as you could see all the welds and grinder marks - certainly no fancy paint. Once, he even connected two tunnel-ram V8 engines together at the crankshaft and mounted/welded that contraption onto a tractor with monster chained dualys front and back for a swamp truck. He's in his late 70s now but I hear he still fires up his acetylene torch and welder now and then.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Personally I think snorkels are dumb. Tell me when you’d ever want to use an 80k-100k truck like that. And don’t forget the differential breather tubes, electronics, seals, and the salt or grime you’d get rotting out the body. Certainly not for me.
Most of us that use the trucks off road extend the breathers, Electronics get just as wet driving in the rain and are sealed for a reason, Seals are just that they seal oil in and water out. And where the hell would you get salt from….

If i had a power wagon i would be using it as such why spend 80-100k to not use it for the intended purpose?

sstoner911

Reaction score
Unless you are gong to be fording water above your hood....

Even in the Jeep world they are mostly for looks...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Unless you are gong to be fording water above your hood....

Even in the Jeep world they are mostly for looks...
With the air scoop right below the front of the hood it has the potential of getting a ton of water in there rather easy….

Jeep’s intake is about 10” below the hood line i have pulled a few guys who hydro locked out of the bush back in my jeep days a snorkel is very practical for jeeps or atleast relocating the air filter to under the front cowl.

BadRam3500

Reaction score
Meh, if you are installing parts for looks and require external validation for your decisions, I guess a snorkel may or may not work.

On the other hand, if you are installing as part of a build for a specific purpose and could really care less what others think... ;)
Yeah it was definitely more for function than for form … but now every time I see one on a Tacoma or jeep I crack up

JimKIII

Reaction score
Hate to throw a bomb into this topic, but this is another, "what the hell is that thing on a pickup truck?" I always ask myself when I see one with an 4"-8" exhaust stack sticking right up outa the bed.

Attachments

• vertical stacks.JPG
    vertical stacks.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Exhaust stack.JPG
    Exhaust stack.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 47

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Hey man, whatever trips your trigger. Who cares what the wifey thinks?

It's obviously not for functionality but if you think it looks badass, then it looks badass.

I'm personally not into it but I'd spend $500 on that snorkel before I'd spend $5k on great big tires and shiny wheels, and look how many guys do that. That's purely for looks and not functionality. I've never seen factory tires and wheels that were not perfectly functional.

To each their own. People that don't like it don't have to look at it.

sstoner911

Reaction score
With the air scoop right below the front of the hood it has the potential of getting a ton of water in there rather easy….

Jeep’s intake is about 10” below the hood line i have pulled a few guys who hydro locked out of the bush back in my jeep days a snorkel is very practical for jeeps or atleast relocating the air filter to under the front cowl.
Jeep claims you can take on 30 inches of water and I have done a few crossings during the monsoon season here with water splashing above e the hood on my JK with no issues when it was stock.

I really do t see many 3/4 or one ton truck owners doing that unless it's an older truck maybe doing a lot of wash crossings here...trails are tight for full size trucks around here. There are a few crawlers that are full-sized broncos and a few pickups...but they have to be picky about he trails they run.

Users who are viewing this thread