Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So i did a thing yesterday....

Zombiecakes

Reaction score
Hey guys.. yeah so I am a new dodge owner, 2022 2500 6.4 hemi tradesman w/ 8' bed... as of yesterday (08/16/22) and i have a question.... do I need to put premium gas in her? The guy at the dealership, once the paperwork was signed, kinda ghosted me on anymore questions I had. Thanks in advance

davidh1329

Reaction score
I had a 2020 2500 6.4. Just traded it last week. When I first got it, I would run mid-grade if I was going to tow. After a while, cheap and lazy took over and I only ran regular. I never noticed the difference. The engine/computer knows and adjusts accordingly. There was likely some reduction in performance, but again I did not notice. Others may have different experiences. Enjoy your new truck!

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Early manuals say 89 and that 87 is acceptable, I believe the later manuals have gone to just recommending 87.
There probably is a slight performance difference, but likely not one that you can feel.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
20K miles on my '21. I've mainly used regular. have used mid grade several times and even premium a few times. Even pulled a trailer around. No issues and no noticeable degradation in performance.

There is an episode on engine masters where they do dyno runs using different grades of gas and saw no noticeable difference in power. The higher grade gas just burns slower and helps prevent detonation. But modern engines have sensors for that and will retard the timing to compensate for it if needed.

Oh and congrats on the new truck.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
When I read your title I was wondering if you were looking for advice on the monkey but pox. :eek: :oops: :rolleyes: By the way … don’t have any …advice. Enjoy your new truck. :)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
20K miles on my '21. I've mainly used regular. have used mid grade several times and even premium a few times. Even pulled a trailer around. No issues and no noticeable degradation in performance.

There is an episode on engine masters where they do dyno runs using different grades of gas and saw no noticeable difference in power. The higher grade gas just burns slower and helps prevent detonation. But modern engines have sensors for that and will retard the timing to compensate for it if needed.

Oh and congrats on the new truck.
Well put. If its not a high compression engine or running major boost numbers then regular is all it needs

Users who are viewing this thread