Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke at Startup

raven_dt

Reaction score
Second time in a week that I've got blue smoke (pretty significant) at start up. Any one else?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Bummer.
How's the oil level? May want to start keeping a close eye on it and maybe document with pictures

Riddick

Reaction score
Sounds like leaking valve stem seals. When the truck sits for long periods the oil seeps past the seals onto the pistons. When you start it the oil burns off and clears up. I'm assuming it only does this when it's been sitting for long periods, like overnight?

jetrinka

Reaction score
No smoke on mine - also has 12k miles.

Yes likely a valve stem seal leaking however usually stem seals start leaking due to worn valve guides letting the valve rock in the seal. Very unusual. Might just also be a defective seal or wasn't installed correctly at the factory.

raven_dt

Reaction score
Bummer.
How's the oil level? May want to start keeping a close eye on it and maybe document with pictures
Its not using any measurable amount of oil...yet. I did see where the 6.4 was prone to smokey starts due to an emissions configuration that allows oil to accumulate in the intake at times. Catch can anyone?

Last edited:

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Its not using any measurable amount of oil...yet. I did see where the 6.4 was prone to smokey starts to to an emissions configuration that allows oil to accumulate in the intake at times. Catch can anyone?
Mine does occasionally have a puff of blue smoke at start up. Has done it since I received the truck, assumed it was a break in thing. Only have 1k miles since taking delivery in December.

ductape

Reaction score
I get it too, but only a small puff. It didn't concern me. The truck usually sits for 2-3 weeks before being used for long trips.

Users who are viewing this thread