Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slide in camper with ram auto leveling suspension?

Reaction score
I have a 2022 2500 with the auto leveling air suspension. I was looking at purchasing a slide in truck bed camper, but after looking at my truck the dealer refused to sell it to me due to the auto leveling suspension. According to him the truck will not drive because it is constantly trying to level side to side. He said my only option was to sell my truck and get a new one. Has anyone else heard this? Is there anything I can do?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What’s the weight of the camper?

What do you expect your RAW to be?

The 2500 isn’t a great setup for slide-in campers, with or without auto level, due to the inboard position of the springs.

It’s not constantly trying to level side to side thou, the dealer doesn’t understand how they work.

You can enhance the suspension with aftermarket airbags and a larger rear anti-sway bar. The aftermarket airbags are more outboard than the OEM springs and will improve stability, as will the larger anti-sway bar. And yes, if you set them up correctly the aftermarket bags will work just fine with the OEM ones.

Clarence007

Reaction score
I run a 10 foot 8 camper in mine with air suspension. It works just fine for me for two years now. No issues

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I run a 10 foot 8 camper in mine with air suspension. It works just fine for me for two years now. No issues

On a 2500? Or the 3500 DRW in your avatar?

There really isn’t anything in common between the 2500 auto level the OP is asking about and a 3500 auto-level.

Clarence007

Reaction score
Yes, in the DRW. Sorry I assumed the air suspension would be the same in both.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, in the DRW. Sorry I assumed the air suspension would be the same in both.

The 2500 is an air ride suspension where the coils are replaced with airbags. The rest of the 2500 suspension is the same 5 link setup that coil spring trucks use. In alternate ride height the rear lowers, but there isn’t any additional springs.

The 3500 is an air assist setup with leaves and bags. The main leaves are softer than standard 3500 leaves, which is why we get a nice ride in normal. In alternate height the 3500 lowers onto some heavy duty overloads that provide additional support and lateral stability. In both heights the airbags are used to maintain the static height of norm or alt.

Users who are viewing this thread