Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SiriusXM is relentless

jadmt

Reaction score
my free subscription expires in a couple of weeks and I have been getting calls non stop, always a Montana area code but usually from a different city. They at least so up as Sirius on my caller ID so I just disregard them. I don't mind having Sirius but what I hate is they require you cancel at the end of one year or you automatically get charged the regular rate. on my Jeep when the subscription expired I said I only wanted to pay for 1 year and then have it automatically cancel and they said I would have to call and cancel at the end of the year and that I could not do it in advance. It is worth $5 a month to me but not any more as I basically listen to 2 channels, the bridge and outlaw country. I asked if I could pay with a one time card ie like a visa gift card and they said I would still get billed at the regular rate if I did not cancel in time.

Squatch

Reaction score
They sent me a letter a week for about a year before they finally gave up.

Wobly

Reaction score
I always use a virtual card to pay them. I put a reminder on my calendar to call them a couple of days before it is supposed to be renewed for each of our vehicles. When I call them, I tell them I want to cancel. They transfer me to the cancellation department who then will offer up the good deals. I pick the best deal at the time and pay with a virtual card. That way, it can't automatically renew.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
They have a sh*tty business model. If they would just charge everyone a reasonable flat rate of $5 and had easy online subscription management , they’d probably end up with double the subscribers. They also wouldn’t have to pay people to constantly cold call and pester customers.

It’s not like you don’t end up with a reasonable subscription rate after calling and threatening to cancel anyway. Just a real PITA to deal with.

garyh

Reaction score
They sent me a letter a week for about a year before they finally gave up.
They never give up. I still get contacted about my motorcycle Sirius subscription that I never re-upped after the introductory period. (I never listen to music while riding). This has been going on for 5 years. LOL

BigWorm

Reaction score
They have a sh*tty business model. If they would just charge everyone a reasonable flat rate of $5 and had easy online subscription management , they’d probably end up with double the subscribers. They also wouldn’t have to pay people to constantly cold call and pester customers.

It’s not like you don’t end up with a reasonable subscription rate after calling and threatening to cancel anyway. Just a real PITA to deal with.
this is precisely why I stopped renewing them. Why reward ****ty companies. I switched to the free version of spotify and haven't second guessed myself once

Will_T

Reaction score
I switched to the free version of spotify and haven't second guessed myself once
I use Spotify but I am not the most technologically gifted person in a truck that is for sure. I have found that when out in the boondocks the only access I have to Spotify are playlists or podcasts I download to my phone. I do like that I have a few stations to choose from with Sirius even when driving in the middle of nowhere. But it like cable TV, tons of stations but only a few that seem worth anything. If there was a way to get access to Spotify via satellite, that would be great and worth an extra cost to me. As for Sirius, I don't see the value unless it is at a greatly reduced rate. So playing the "I want to cancel" game might be my only choice once the free trial is up. I like the idea of using a virtual card to avoid auto renewal.

Firebird

Reaction score
I’m getting bombarded too, but my truck came with 2 years free, so they can just wait another year for me

Pronto

Reaction score
It is worth $5 a month to me but not any more as I basically listen to 2 channels, the bridge and outlaw country.

That's an odd combination of only 2 stations. If you told me the bridge was one, I'd guess yacht rock was the other. If you told me outlaw country was one, I'd guess prime country or something like that would be the other.

Their business model does suck. You have to put a reminder in your calendar so you can haggle with someone in India every 6 months.

Truckman

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter how many different channels you listen to, it's that you use it regularly to make it worthwhile. My old truck I renewed every year for $120 or less. You just have to call them prior to renewal and negotiate the price.

bstar1952

Reaction score
Getting so many commercials on the channels I listen to, when my free subscription is up - I'm cancelling. Ain't paying to listen to commercials, enough of that crap with cable TV.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I only got them to stop calling after telling them to put me on the no call list, took 15 times to get one of them to do that though, i have a 2tb sdd of music in my truck that i update often so no need to listen to commercials and the same 5 songs on loops

Sponge60

Reaction score
Several years ago, I had XM on a Silverado. I ignored a letter and email or two at the end of the annual contract. The credit card I used expired and I didn't update it with them. Damn if I didn't get a letter from a collection agency for something Iike $35.

I care about my credit, so I just paid and dropped them. The last few vehicles I've bought all have / had Sirius XM and while I enjoy it, I'm way more careful now.

Bad business model indeed!

RichM752

Reaction score
I dont use a credit card dealing with them. I always tell them to bill me by mail, and I send them a check.

RTillery

Reaction score
This. I wouldn't trust them with my credit card any further than I could throw a horse. It costs a couple of bucks for them to "invoice" you, but I feel better. If they have your card, they will renew at the full blown pricing plan. That said, I've been a customer for over 15 years. I travel quite a bit and being able to hold a channel through the Rockies is something I like. I also have it in my Jeep when I'm off in the boondocks. I mark it on my calendar and call them a few weeks before it expires and negotiate another 6 months term at about half price. It's kind of fun getting them wound up threatening to quit. They start backing up pretty quick. Kind of like buying a new truck with a green salesman.

Way back when I started with them, you had to get this little removeable pod that mounted on your dash. I bought one of their boomboxes that took the same pod, to take to Canada and got it to work way up in Northern Saskatchewan at a fishing camp. I let that license expire and left the setup in my basement for a few years. When I decided to finally try it again, lo and behold it fired up and worked. It is well over ten years since I've paid that subscription. :p

lighthawk

Reaction score
I've had the 2021 3500 for two months now and Sirius sends me letters constantly. We've tried it out when boondocking and it was nice to get CNN updates so we weren't in the dark. The music selections and commercials suck, although we enjoy the 60's and 70's music. I guess if ESPN is your thing it might be worth it. On forest service roads the signal drops out frequently, which takes away from the experience. We're long term Spotify folks and have downloaded playlists on phones and a tablet, which we mostly play on our bluetooth speaker in the camper or outside. After the free year, I won't renew.

jadmt

Reaction score
I've had the 2021 3500 for two months now and Sirius sends me letters constantly. We've tried it out when boondocking and it was nice to get CNN updates so we weren't in the dark. The music selections and commercials suck, although we enjoy the 60's and 70's music. I guess if ESPN is your thing it might be worth it. On forest service roads the signal drops out frequently, which takes away from the experience. We're long term Spotify folks and have downloaded playlists on phones and a tablet, which we mostly play on our bluetooth speaker in the camper or outside. After the free year, I won't renew.
ok that did make me laugh a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread