Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silver AEV Salta Wheels prep

2manyprojects

Reaction score
As others I'm sure are taking advantage of the current discount price on these AEV Salta 17x 8.5" silver wheels, I rec'd my set earlier this week. Very well packaged and included the cosmetic plastic screw sets to fill the holes in the wheel if you aren't adding the optional trim rings. This kit has 10 screws ea. and what looks like a self-tapping bolt, which according to AEV's latest web instructions needs to be used to chase the thread holes in each wheel.
AEV Salta 1.jpg
As I started this process on each of the 5 wheels I quickly realized this bolt-thing was more trouble than it's worth. I dug around and got out a matching 8mm tap, and things went much better/faster.
AEV Salta 2.jpgAEV Salta 3.jpg
If you get these wheels, do yourself a favor and get a tap for this job...

jadmt

Reaction score
The bolt thing worked great for me. I just used it with a nut driver. My buddy did not even bother chasing the threads he just put the plastic bolts in and he said it was a non issue. I plan on getting the trim rings tho so feel better with them tapped.

2manyprojects

Reaction score
I was surprised how hard it was to turn the bolt in on my wheels, and after finishing 2/5 wheels I happened to look at the bolt and was surprised to see the tips of the threads noticeably rounded. I know the tap is overkill, but I haven't decided if I want to pop for the trim rings yet.

jadmt, your PW pics on this and other forums are what tipped me into buying these wheels! Really like your Power Wagon. I'm going with 37x12.50 Falken AT3Ws, but holding off until I can find an installer for the 3" AEV Dualsport suspension I've been lusting after. I'm getting too old to lay on the concrete to install, and my new truck won't fit inside my garage (even when I put the poor ol' Land Cruiser outside :rolleyes: )

jadmt

Reaction score
great tire choice. I just got back from Moab today and was really happy with my Toyos but falken at3w in 37 would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread