Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Side Bed Access Influence on Tonneau Choice (Retrax vs. Bakflip)

jb2

Reaction score
Unlike many folks discussing the merits & tradeoffs of their tonneau choice, side bed access is just as important as tailgate access for my purposes. Specifically, side bed access near the cab side of the bed. For a litany of other reasons I'll spare you from reading.... I'm choosing between the RetraxOne & Bakflip MX4 to go on my 6'4 bed w/ Ramboxes.

I've historically avoided tonneau's completely due to transporting landscaping material (mulch, stone, dirt, tree/shrubs, sod, etc) being my primary use for the bed. While transporting landscaping material will remain important to me, the need to transport things under shelter or locked up (short term, not permanent shelter, e.g. luggage, boxes of home goods ) has become more important for us. Ignoring the price difference (Retrax vs. Bakflip) for a moment, I've been leaning toward the Retrax in part because of the 'lock in any position' functionality & somewhat simpler access to the cab side of the bed (in spite of the space required for the canister).

Anyone care to share some thoughts or experiences that could help shed a practical experience light on the RetraxOne vs. BakFlip MX4 decision for the usage pattern I described?

Diesel_Addict

Reaction score
I had Back Flip on my last truck and liked it. How ever, it gets heavy to flip as it goes back. I am going to do the retrax or gator roll up on this truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread