Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shouls i buy a 2500 6.7

harson1

Reaction score
Hi all new to forum. Im mulling buying a new 2020 2500 6.7 tradesman 4x4. I dont need one as i dont tow but i like the beefier stance and suspension and do haul alot of firewood. Anyway i dont put alot of miles on my trucks. Only had 65k on my 10 year old Titan when i traded her. I also am a conservative driver normally driving the speed limit. I live in the Colorado mountains where speeds are normally 40 to 60 mph. Any negatives to getting a diesel with my driving style/conditions. Anyone with mpg numbers as a daily driver. Rarely drive in city. Thanks for any inputs.

Reaction score
The 6.7 is an incredible engine (I have a 3500 6.7 dually) but honestly - given your use cases I’d suggest the 6.4 is a better option for you. Saves you $10K MSRP and the hassle of diesel maintenance.

You will get less MPG on the gasser. I got around 16 average, on my dually unloaded I get around 18. I’d be willing to guess a 2500 diesel might be able to break 20 with conservative driving. I know my wife managed 18 with our 6.4, but I have a heavier foot..

jkbrereton

Reaction score
I average 14 in my 6.4 L

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Squatch

Reaction score
Whatever you do, get the 4.10 gears and the biggest gas tank they will give you.

Pronto

Reaction score
For what you're doing I'd go with the Hemi. $10k buys a lot of gas. For how you drove your Titan, you could pretty much buy 10 years of gas with the money you save on the sticker price alone. That's not even getting into the operating costs of the diesel.

Notary

Reaction score
I am going through the same dilemma! I am shopping for a new 2500 and would like to get the diesel, but I really don't tow much and if I do, it will be a small 6 X 12 open trailer. Having a couple diesels over the years, I appreciate the simplicity of using a gasser for around town and not having to deal with all the complicated anti-pollution equipment on the diesel. I don't mind spending the extra 10K, but for my situation, I think the gasser will do me well?? If I had any sense, I would just keep my excellent condition, low mileage, couple year old Ecodiesel and just keep my $$. But a fool and his money are soon parted, so the quest for a 2500 continues.

harson1

Reaction score
thanks for all your responses. I passed on a great deal and am gonna stick with my 2019 ram 1500 warlock with the pentastar 3.6

Users who are viewing this thread