Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I let the dealer change the oil (on a Hemi)?

dm6

Reaction score
I typically do oil changes on my vehicles because it is simple to do and will take less time than having to bring it in and wait. I also know that I will do it right and not make a mess. I have had my truck for almost a year and I don't even have 4,000 miles on it so it will need its first oil change because of time, not miles. I got the recall notice for the stability control so I will have to bring it in anyways, so I am thinking maybe I will just have them change the oil and rotate the tires while it is there. I don't know what they charge, but since I will only need to do this once a year, I am not worried about the price like I would if I had to get this done several times a year. Besides, I would still have to go to Discount Tire or somewhere to get the tires rotated because I don't want to mess with that and don't have enough jacks or stands anyways. I guess I don't see this as a bad thing because then they can at least check everything out, top off any fluids if necessary, and there will be a record of it. I got a really good deal on the truck from the dealer so I don't mind giving them $70-$100 or whatever this may cost. With all this being said, can you give me any reason to NOT let them do this?

Firebird

Reaction score
Well, it doesn’t hurt to have that paper trail for warranty purposes

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I wouldn’t even take it to the dealer for a free oil change. First, I don’t want to wait on somebody else especially if i am unable to leave (they have my truck) second, The peace of mind knowing it was done right and putting my eyes on the underside of it is worth it.

dm6

Reaction score
I wouldn’t even take it to the dealer for a free oil change. First, I don’t want to wait on somebody else especially if i am unable to leave (they have my truck) second, The peace of mind knowing it was done right and putting my eyes on the underside of it is worth it.
This is the stuff I was afraid of. I also don't like the idea of others touching it, but the reason why I am considering this is because I have to bring it there anyways for the recall. Plus I will still probably let someone do the tires. So can they really mess up an oil change that badl?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
This is the stuff I was afraid of. So can they really mess up an oil change that badl?
Probably not. Should be fine. It’s just how I am.

What recall?

I got one for a possibly incorrectly torqued wiper arm. I fixed it.

I got another for possibly not getting a stability control light under some circumstances. I don’t care about that.

jetrinka

Reaction score
This is the stuff I was afraid of. I also don't like the idea of others touching it, but the reason why I am considering this is because I have to bring it there anyways for the recall. Plus I will still probably let someone do the tires. So can they really mess up an oil change that badl?
Probably not. But keep in mind most dealers have separate live departments. The actual trained techs will do the recall work and then boot the LOF to the lube monkeys. And they are just that usually - greasy monkeys barely qualified to drive (sometimes that’s a stretch…) When I started out from trade school I started in a Toyota lube department. Scary things there. Scary things. Only lasted 6 months there before going onto better things.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Probably not. Should be fine. It’s just how I am.

What recall?

I got one for a possibly incorrectly torqued wiper arm. I fixed it.

I got another for possibly not getting a stability control light under some circumstances. I don’t care about that.
He’s likely talking about the ABS software recall. I also do not care about that one

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That year time frame is crap, i would just change the oil when you hit the millage and do it yourself as im sure they will try to charge 150$ minimum for the rotation and LOF

dm6

Reaction score
Yes I am talking about the ABS thing. I guess it doesn't sound like a big deal and probably just a software update, but I figure I may as well get it taken care of.

I guess I get your guy's point. While an oil change is simple enough, I suppose they could put the plug on too tight, or strip something out, or make a mess, etc. And as far as the time thing, I don't doubt that oil will last longer than a year but I think of it as a cheap investment and it won't hurt to change it once a year. It doesn't seem like there is much maintenance to do on these trucks anyways, especially as little as I drive it. Once a year just change the oil and check the other stuff (coolant, brake fluid, steer fluid, transfer case, differential fluid...let me know if I am missing anything), right?

Power247

Reaction score
I typically do oil changes on my vehicles because it is simple to do and will take less time than having to bring it in and wait. I also know that I will do it right and not make a mess. I have had my truck for almost a year and I don't even have 4,000 miles on it so it will need its first oil change because of time, not miles. I got the recall notice for the stability control so I will have to bring it in anyways, so I am thinking maybe I will just have them change the oil and rotate the tires while it is there. I don't know what they charge, but since I will only need to do this once a year, I am not worried about the price like I would if I had to get this done several times a year. Besides, I would still have to go to Discount Tire or somewhere to get the tires rotated because I don't want to mess with that and don't have enough jacks or stands anyways. I guess I don't see this as a bad thing because then they can at least check everything out, top off any fluids if necessary, and there will be a record of it. I got a really good deal on the truck from the dealer so I don't mind giving them $70-$100 or whatever this may cost. With all this being said, can you give me any reason to NOT let them do this?
I just finished dealing with this myself. Dealer basically charges double what it would cost to do the oil change yourself which kinda sucks but my time is at a premium right now. Plus I like them to have record of the service done to the truck in case something comes up in the future.
That year time frame is crap, i would just change the oil when you hit the millage and do it yourself as im sure they will try to charge 150$ minimum for the rotation and LOF
This is exactly what the original bill was going to be when I took mine in for oil change and tire rotation before the coupons were applied. $120 for the oil change and $20 for rotation before misc shop fee and NC tax.

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

mkmsr

Reaction score
The dealership will only see my truck for recalls or warranty work. I have an independent mechanic that I trust and has always treated me well over the last 20 years . I have to get an annual safety inspection done anyway so I have the oil changed while there and usually have something else serviced/flushed, ect while it's there. I just drop the truck off on one day and pickup the next, no waiting, taking off from work or spending my time picking up supplies.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

dm6

Reaction score
You guys have me scared now lol. Come to think about it, my previous truck that I had for 20 years went to the dealership 3 times and all three times I had to take it back because they didn't do it right. Now I am even scared to bring it to Discount Tire to get the tires rotated!

dm6

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to this because I just hit 4,000 miles finally after having it for 13 months. Anyways, I am definitely changing it myself now when I can't even get a price from the dealer for an oil change. I try to chat with them just asking the price so I don't have to waste time on hold and I get the answer "it depends on the vehicle, we'll have someone call you back" when I specifically told them what vehicle I have. That happened twice and nobody called me back. Considering the oil and filter alone cost around $70-$80, I am sure their price is going to be well over $100. Plus, as I said, you guys have me scared :) If they can rotate the tires while it is in there for the recall, maybe I will have them do that since I don't have a big jack at the moment. I guess they can't mess that up too much.

Users who are viewing this thread