Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I get Weathertech Alloy Tonneau or Factory Mopar?

2500Ram

Reaction score
Ordered my truck without a tonneau but actually need one. I am between ordering a WeatherTech Alloy cover for $1100 or a Mopar cover which I believe is just soft vinyl for $600. Any preferences?

jetrinka

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about the options you are asking about but the Bakflip MX4 has a stellar reputation. I had one on my Rambox truck and liked it a lot except for (because of the Ramboxes) I couldn’t get it to stop leaking. I ended up removing it.

Since you don’t have that problem I’d seriously take a look.

Khsgt

Reaction score
Just installed a Lomax Folding Hard Cover. Outer surface seems quite a bit more durable then the MX4 that I had on my 1500. There are a ton of options for bedcovers out there, to fit every need/size/budget/etc, the toughest part is picking the right one. Also look at the UnderCover Armor Flex. Same parent company as Bakflip, but again, more durable surface.

OuterUB

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about the options you are asking about but the Bakflip MX4 has a stellar reputation. I had one on my Rambox truck and liked it a lot except for (because of the Ramboxes) I couldn’t get it to stop leaking. I ended up removing it.

Since you don’t have that problem I’d seriously take a look.
I doubt there's a tonneau cover out there that's truly 100% leak free ......

OuterUB

Reaction score
Ordered my truck without a tonneau but actually need one. I am between ordering a WeatherTech Alloy cover for $1100 or a Mopar cover which I believe is just soft vinyl for $600. Any preferences?
I've always used BakFlip .... great product.

@JC

Reaction score
I really like my factory tri-fold. Holding up very well so far.

Reaction score
I have and use a Tyger T3 bed cover for 4 trucks now. it is a soft trifold. On Amazon for the 6'4" bed for $299.00 if you need a quick bed cover. My son has one on his truck, brother in law and dad all have the same bed covers.

hunterjoe

Reaction score
I have a Mopar cover on my 1500. Absolutely hate the thing. If I was going soft roll up, I'd look long and hard at the TruXedo Pro X15. Had a Bak Flip on a previous truck (forget the model) and it was good, liked it a lot.

G’Dave

Reaction score
I had one of the Bakflip hard folding tonneau covers (the G2 from memory) on my 1500 for 7 years. As some others have said, truck beds leak. A lot sucks up through the tail gate gaps.

I went the other direction this time and installed the Gator SRX. It’s a soft roll up tonneau with a 10 year warranty for about $250. I think it might be a knock off of the Truxedo TruXport.

There are endless choices, and a lot of pros and cons…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Just installed a Lomax Folding Hard Cover. Outer surface seems quite a bit more durable then the MX4 that I had on my 1500. There are a ton of options for bedcovers out there, to fit every need/size/budget/etc, the toughest part is picking the right one. Also look at the UnderCover Armor Flex. Same parent company as Bakflip, but again, more durable surface.
The weathertech is a lowmax

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I was going to order a factory one.
Then found a Lund that looks just like the factory one. Life time warranty and only $300 delivered to the door.

Mike67

Reaction score
Get a Diamondback, holds 1600 lbs. for those times when you need it. I put one on my truck thinking I wouldn't need the weight capacity, used it several times for loads close to 1000 lbs. with no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread