Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shocks

Rgpracer

Reaction score
Ok, thia has been posted many times, but I've put enough miles on the truxk to know that i HAVE TO change my shocks....i have 10k on the mileage and at Grand Lake right now, and, yes, i realize this is a 2500 and yes, it rides rough....but these Oklahoma roads are jarring the wifes and my teeth out when not hooked up.
I know Fox are best, but, i am NOT offroading this truck, nor am i wanting to level the front 2" and that is where the Fox shocks shine.
My question is, are the Bilstein 5100 a good highway shock or is there another that everyone likes that DON'T go with Fox!!
Thanks and sorry for the repeat post.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The factory bilsteins on my offroad pkg 2500 ride rather nice i must say

Rgpracer

Reaction score
You have Bilsteins on from factory????
Nice.....are they 5100's?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Bilstein 5100s are good light duty shocks . I have run them on both Jeeps and trucks. Bilstein also makes high end shocks that compete with Fox and King.

Ramit530

Reaction score
Get rid of the Firestone tires and you will be amazed how much smoother and comfortable a ride you will have. On my '19 the first thing I did was change out the shocks to Fox shocks, yes it made a difference...... Just picked up my '21 and had the dealer install a set of Michelin's prior to me picking it up.... As with every vehicle I take them home and ad my goodies, I have the Fox shocks from '19 waiting in my garage to install.... I leave the dealership and can not believe the ride of this unit vs my '19 (Same Build). Difference being tires, not shocks!!!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Get rid of the Firestone tires and you will be amazed how much smoother and comfortable a ride you will have. On my '19 the first thing I did was change out the shocks to Fox shocks, yes it made a difference...... Just picked up my '21 and had the dealer install a set of Michelin's prior to me picking it up.... As with every vehicle I take them home and ad my goodies, I have the Fox shocks from '19 waiting in my garage to install.... I leave the dealership and can not believe the ride of this unit vs my '19 (Same Build). Difference being tires, not shocks!!!
I found the firestones being so flimsy road smoother over bumps personally much softer tire than anything else i have ever had on a truck

Rgpracer

Reaction score
Green, won't going to 35" tires over stock 275/70's affect my gas mileage in a negative way?

Ramit530

Reaction score
Ramit, what Michelin's did you put on?
@Rgpracer

285/60R20 Michelin Agilis CrossClimate

The moment I rode off the dealer lot I was impressed, when the wife got in for a ride she was equally impressed and said” this rides like a car compared to other truck, did you change the shocks too?”
Not so sure I will till the factory shocks are spent! Still on the fence w that as I have the FOX shocks in the garage!

Rgpracer

Reaction score
Ramit, they don't make the Agilis in the 18", only the LTX in Michelin but will check more.
Thanks

Squatch

Reaction score
Ok, thia has been posted many times, but I've put enough miles on the truxk to know that i HAVE TO change my shocks....i have 10k on the mileage and at Grand Lake right now, and, yes, i realize this is a 2500 and yes, it rides rough....but these Oklahoma roads are jarring the wifes and my teeth out when not hooked up.
I know Fox are best, but, i am NOT offroading this truck, nor am i wanting to level the front 2" and that is where the Fox shocks shine.
My question is, are the Bilstein 5100 a good highway shock or is there another that everyone likes that DON'T go with Fox!!
Thanks and sorry for the repeat post.
I just swapped my bilsteins with fox IFPs and I don’t regret it. My bilsteins still beat the crap out of me riding down the highway and that’s why I went to Thuren coils and fox shocks.

Dwilly

Reaction score
5100s are great for the money. But as was said, those stock tires are absolute garbage.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Green, won't going to 35" tires over stock 275/70's affect my gas mileage in a negative way?
there will be some decrease, if you don't go with a super heavy mud terrain or all terrain, it won't be very noticeable. I have 35" Cooper STT Pros on my truck and they are a heavy tire. I only noticed a marginal drop in mileage.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They make 5100s for the 2500 and 3500s too (lifted). I know people running them as they save for $$$ shocks. They would not be my first choice for a truck though.

I know they make them for the larger trucks i have a set on my 05 2500 the 4600s are just much better for the 3/4-1 tons in my experience

Users who are viewing this thread