Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shocks

Nick

Reaction score
What qualities do you prefer about the 5100
If you read the Bilstien web site it States their is no performance difference between the 2 the valving is the same it is just a longer shock . If the 4600 gave the same performance as OEM l or nor anyone else would buy them .

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
What qualities do you prefer about the 5100

I do zero 'off road' so this is my experience just driving around on highway/city streets.
It provides a 'firmer' feel when going over bumps/dips/irregularities... OEM shocks felt like we were getting jerked around over bump in the road, as if it were barely dampening anything.
I find the ride with the 5100s to be neither 'harsh' nor 'stiff', but how I would expect it to ride over bumps/irregularities.

If you read the Bilstien web site it States their is no performance difference between the 2 the valving is the same it is just a longer shock . If the 4600 gave the same performance as OEM l or nor anyone else would buy them .

Totally agree... Bilstein says "B8 5100 is longer and tuned for a lifted application".... lifted applications generally include heavier tires/wheels/off road equipment which, I would think, necessitate a different valving, no?

I'm generally not one for 'opinions' or 'personal experiences', I like data... but for me, the 5100s ride much better than the OEMs that were on there that I find it hard to believe they are the same as the 4600s which are the same as OEM.

Last edited:

rfullen280

Reaction score
I bought a set of Thuren’s +1 front springs, and the Fox shocks to match. Wow…. It is a significantly plusher ride. Thanks for all the feedback.

Tried to find a Shop to install, because I‘m busy, instead did the job in my garage in about 4 hours total (1 jack, 2 jackstands). On the instructions where it says “remove sway bar end links” it was much easier to just remove the sway bar brackets (4 bolts from the frame instead of the end links that are a pain). However, at less than 50k miles, one sway bar end link boot is torn/cracked…. Yay Chinesium parts…

rfullen280

Reaction score
I bought a set of Thuren’s +1 front springs, and the Fox shocks to match. Wow…. It is a significantly plusher ride. Thanks for all the feedback.

Tried to find a Shop to install, because I‘m busy, instead did the job in my garage in about 4 hours total (1 jack, 2 jackstands). On the instructions where it says “remove sway bar end links” it was much easier to just remove the sway bar brackets (4 bolts from the frame instead of the end links that are a pain). However, at less than 50k miles, one sway bar end link boot is torn/cracked…. Yay Chinesium parts…
Also, for doing the rear shocks - a little WD-40 on the stock shock top nut goes a long long way…. You can take the passenger side out by laying under the truck, need a 18mm ratcheting wrench for the nut, and a 9 mm to hold the “stud”.

On the drivers side, just have to remove the wheel well liner screws, and push the liner “up” out of the way to reach the top nut/stud (as the fuel tank is in the way). Takes about 10 min ….

neutroniens

Reaction score
For the Fox shocks,

Why does Carli state (rears): NOT Compatible with Auto-Leveling Air Rear Suspension

Then Thuren states (fronts): Fit & Function with Thuren Front Coils only!

FWIW, I put Bilstein 5100 on my truck and I'm not sure I like the firm ride. I'm sure they will be best/better when my 5th is hooked and being towed. Maybe they'll settle in a bit after more miles.
I have not found anyone that actually states rear shocks for air ride suspension on 3500. (Stock suspension) not lifted. Fox states SRW on their website. I believe it is because the Air suspension uses different length shocks than non auto level air ride. Possibly DRW matters??? This is my rear shock measurements Rear 19.5” compressed, 25.75” extended. 2022 Ram 3500 H.O. DRW auto leveling air ride.

desertskier

Reaction score
I recently installed 5100's on mine. The measurements for the stock shocks look about the same as your DRW.

Rear ride height (wheel well to center of hub): Driver = 25.25 Pass = 25.5
Stock shock installed (center to center of eyelets): 22.75
Stock shock extended (center to center of eyelets): 25.75 Compressed: 19.5
Bilstein shock extended : 29.5 Compressed: 19.0

Last edited:

BAT3500

Reaction score
Need to replace my shocks on my stock 3500 DRW with air level suspension. At least one rear shock is definitely leaking and blown. Bilstein only lists the 4600's for the rear shocks., no dimensions provided on the web page.

Not really interested in having bright yellow/blue shocks hanging from an all-black truck, but the dang things are apparently on national backorder anyways. Based on the above posts, may try the 5100's. I tow a heavy fifth wheel a lot and if indeed the 5100 series is valved more towards heavy duty offroad type use should be better for my application.

neutroniens

Reaction score
Something to consider is extended length. I have not verified this but I believe the extended length of the shock is the limiting factor on down travel of the axle. If you use too long of a shock it might damage an airbag. That of course is assuming that you would possibly put your truck in a situation to extend the axle that far.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Not expecting any of type off road adventures.

But in this case the air bags are just helpers, not a standalone true airbag system. The 3500's are all rear leaf springs units, just different builds between the air level and non-air level trucks. The ride heights are different but over-extension problems should be limited by the spring pack i would think. More worried about the compressed shock length but from previous posts i think it would be fine.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I would look at bilstein shocks. If your keeping your truck stock suspension. I would stay away from fox 2.0 for the moment, I've heard a lot of people blowing them out after very low miles. I had 2 blow within the first 1000miles.

Best bang for buck and a significant shock upgrade is absolutely Bilstein. The 5100s are under $100 a piece and are a high quality unit. The 5160 reservoirs I am wildly impressed with and can be had for about $190 a piece.

IMG_5585.JPG

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Only the fronts are extended length if you order the pairs outside a bundle. Up thread the fronts are listed as .28" longer compressed, 1.25" longer extended. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/shocks.13417/post-248182

The rears are https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...s-shocks-rear-pair-2013-2018-ram-3500-2wd-4wd

The fronts are: https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...-pair-2013-2018-ram-3500-2wd-4wd-w-2-2-5-lift

ETA: OK, I looked at the specs again and the rears are listed as 0-1" lift, so 1" longer extended. That's not likely to rip off a bag on a factory air truck.

Last edited:

desertskier

Reaction score
I just measured my rear shocks (shocks connected) with the wheels off the ground and the truck supported at the hitch. Center of eyelet to center was about 27". I remeasured the stock shock that I took off and it was 25.75" extended. So it looks like the stock shock would limit the spring pack from dropping all the way down but the Bilstein doesn't. There is still about 2.5" more travel left in the Bilstein and it drops the pack 1.25" more than the stock shock. I think this makes sense. Let me know if I'm missing something. edit: just remembered I have 1" Carli spacers under the leafs so adjust by an inch.

Last edited:

unclelala

Reaction score
FWIW, I put Bilstein 5100 on my truck and I'm not sure I like the firm ride. I'm sure they will be best/better when my 5th is hooked and being towed. Maybe they'll settle in a bit after more miles.
Do you still think the same of your 5100 after 7 months of use or would you have gone for another shock ?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you still think the same of your 5100 after 7 months of use or would you have gone for another shock ?

Honestly, in that time I just don't have enough miles on them to know if they're still settling in. They're definitely much firmer than stock. Very happy with the manners towing the 5th wheel and I'm sure with the tire pressures lowered off-season and when hunting, they will be an improvement. That said, they sure aren't going to make the normal HD OTR ride smoother. If I did more off-road, I'd probably spend extra for the reservoir shocks, but I'd buy the 5100's again.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Best bang for buck and a significant shock upgrade is absolutely Bilstein. The 5100s are under $100 a piece and are a high quality unit. The 5160 reservoirs I am wildly impressed with and can be had for about $190 a piece.

I went with fox 2.0s blew 2 out in 3 months. found a deal on some new/used Thuren valved kings 2.5s. all my work trucks we run bilstein 4600s and they do great.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I went with fox 2.0s blew 2 out in 3 months. found a deal on some new/used Thuren valved kings 2.5s. all my work trucks we run bilstein 4600s and they do great.

Kings and/or properly set up Fox are hard to beat if money is no object. Im a cheap ass so compromised some.

I bet those King 2.5's are bad ass!

Users who are viewing this thread