Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shocks- Updated opinions

cmc76

Reaction score
Currently have about 62,000 on my 2020 2500 Big Horn- Air suspension. Coming into spring i am going to take the tire pressure down quite a bit. But just doing some general planning. truck sees 90% highway, but offroad and on construction sites the other 10%.
I dont follow much in the way of suspension, and it appeared the posts related were a bit dated. what are people running now when the factory shocks give up. I am happy with the stance and ride currently. but i cant imagine the current factory setup going forever.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Most common aftermarket performance options for us modders are bilsteins, fox, or king. Fox and bilstein have entry level shocks and up. Fox and king both have high end options.

You could always get OE style replacement shocks like Monroe or rancho at your LAPS for pretty cheap if you are happy with factory ride

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
replace with oem or similar if you haven't had any issues and are factory height

I've ram bilstein amd fox.

johanh13

Reaction score
I just bought a set of carli tuned King 2.5 for my Ram. I have not installed them yet, but plan on installing my 2" thuren front coils with them (leaving stock rear coils). My stock bilsteins have 90,000 miles on them and they feel pretty soft...
If you are curious about the King shocks, the fronts are 24.5" extended with 8.125" stroke, the rears are 25.5" extended with 9" stroke (these are for 2.5" carli leveling kit)
Also, plan on welding in front coil isolator supports and new front lower shock mounts

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 1.20.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 1.20.25 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 1.24.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 1.24.14 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 1.24.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 1.24.02 PM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Bilstein 4600's. Closest to factory and shouldn't leak at 5 or 10K like so many of the OEM rear shocks do (mine did.)

FWIW, I installed (apparently not recommended by Bilstein for rear air 3500's - wrong valving something length something - (blah blah blah whatever)) 5100's and it rides and tows great. Definitely firmer than stock but not teeth rattling.

Last edited:

johanh13

Reaction score

Dinky503

Reaction score
Depends on what you are doing with your truck? Are you looking to use it for work? Daily driver? Or don't care budget wanna look cool? There is a lot to go into picking the right shocks and for the right reason. Most people including myself have stuff that is over kill for our use but they look cool!

werard

Reaction score
I just bought a set of carli tuned King 2.5 for my Ram. I have not installed them yet, but plan on installing my 2" thuren front coils with them (leaving stock rear coils). My stock bilsteins have 90,000 miles on them and they feel pretty soft...
If you are curious about the King shocks, the fronts are 24.5" extended with 8.125" stroke, the rears are 25.5" extended with 9" stroke (these are for 2.5" carli leveling kit)
Also, plan on welding in front coil isolator supports and new front lower shock mounts

So you are going to install Carli shocks which specify that they are "only to be used" with their springs yet install another manufactures springs?

- Compatible ONLY with Carli 2.5" Front Springs & Stock Rear Springs

I am unsure how "set in stone" that is as Thuren says the same with some of their shock sets.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So you are going to install Carli shocks which specify that they are "only to be used" with their springs yet install another manufactures springs?

I am unsure how "set in stone" that is as Thuren says the same with some of their shock sets.
Thats a sales pitch so they can sell you both.

johanh13

Reaction score

The spring rates are very similar, as is their free length. As for the tuning on the shocks, I bet it will work just fine! I had those same springs on my previous Ram 2500 with fox shocks from thuren, then I swapped the 2" springs for the 1" springs. I bet the difference between the 1" & 2" thuren coils is bigger than the difference between the 2" thuren and the 2.5" carli's. BTW, the 2" thurens provided 2.5" of lift. With the 2.5" thuren coils my axle center to top of fender was 27", 24.5" stock... The 1.5" thurens equaled 26" ... the thuren 'tuned' fox shocks worked equally well with either the 1" or 2" coils...

Users who are viewing this thread