Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shipping tires

Wanderlust073

Reaction score
For those who have sold tires on wheels and shipped them to the buyer, do you recommend one carrier over another?

I have a buyer for a set of (4) 35's on 20 inch wheels. I'm in Colorado, they are in Virginia. Looking at UPS' website if I estimate 50 pounds a tire they are coming back with $165 per tire for the cheapest option. I don't know if that's fair or robbery, but I do know that it's going to kill the sale.

Thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For those who have sold tires on wheels and shipped them to the buyer, do you recommend one carrier over another?

I have a buyer for a set of (4) 35's on 20 inch wheels. I'm in Colorado, they are in Virginia. Looking at UPS' website if I estimate 50 pounds a tire they are coming back with $165 per tire for the cheapest option. I don't know if that's fair or robbery, but I do know that it's going to kill the sale.

Thanks
Look at a large freight company they will likely be much cheaper

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
That sounds high. I’ve had 6 boxes of lift kit stuff shipped from a buddy…it was about $500 from UPS. See if you can sign up for an account and save some money.

jadmt

Reaction score

Thanks
Tires and wheels are going to weigh more than 50lbs.i shipped just wheels and fed ex was cheapest but still expensive.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Greyhound used to offer a low cost shipping service along their routes. I don't know if it's still available, but they would haul awkward items like tires.

Edit: Bummer, looks like they ceased operating Sept 2022.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Do you know anyone at a big company that would ship them for you? Companies that ship large amounts of packages with UPS, Fedex, etc. receive huge discounts from the standard rates that the rest of us pay. I've actually seen places around here that would ship packages for you at a much reduced rate, charge you a small fee and it was still much cheaper than the standard rates.

Also, another deal that my son just figured out lately, if he lists items on Ebay and lines up the shipping through their site, the shipping costs are much cheaper, even with UPS.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I agree with Jadmt, tires alone are going to be over 50lbs, probably close to 70 and that doesn't include the wheels. You are easily over 100lbs each. Honestly, I would keep looking for a local buyer, shipping will not be worth the hassle for you and the cost for the buyer (unless you are giving them away)

Users who are viewing this thread