Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifting out of park

anderson0172

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 2020 and now my 2021 also does it, it's happened twice in 1100 miles on the new truck. No rhyme or reason. I was also parked on flat ground for both of these instances. Hold the brake down, release and reapply, doesn't work. After 15-20 seconds it just finally goes into gear.

Jcrawford

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 2020 and now my 2021 also does it, it's happened twice in 1100 miles on the new truck. No rhyme or reason. I was also parked on flat ground for both of these instances. Hold the brake down, release and reapply, doesn't work. After 15-20 seconds it just finally goes into gear.
Did you try in to leave it in neutral with no break before reapplying the break and then parking? If you ever get the the point where you can replicate it on demand and get it in front of a dealer I would be really curious about what they say.

anderson0172

Reaction score
Did you try in to leave it in neutral with no break before reapplying the break and then parking? If you ever get the the point where you can replicate it on demand and get it in front of a dealer I would be really curious about what they say.
When this happens the shift lever will not move, it gets locked in Park. And I have no idea yet how to replicate it, maybe I'll pick up on something the more this happens.

Cmpdman2

Reaction score
Both of my 2020s do this. Pretty frustrating and hard to replicate it.

Ram2500diesel

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 Diesel Limited -if I keep my foot on brake with engine idling in Park the shifter will not move out of Park until I keep my foot off the brakes for 5-10 seconds.This has been a problem since the truck was new, I now have 40,000 miles on it, out of warranty. Any others still have this issue?

Jcrawford

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 Diesel Limited -if I keep my foot on brake with engine idling in Park the shifter will not move out of Park until I keep my foot off the brakes for 5-10 seconds.This has been a problem since the truck was new, I now have 40,000 miles on it, out of warranty. Any others still have this issue?
I still have my original issue. Yours sounds a bit different to though.

Ram2500diesel

Reaction score
I still have my original issue. Yours sounds a bit different to though.
My concern is that eventually the truck will not come out of park and Ill be stuck somewhere with my truck in park with my trailer hooked up.

Jcrawford

Reaction score
My concern is that eventually the truck will not come out of park and Ill be stuck somewhere with my truck in park with my trailer hooked up.
There is a way to bypass the park lock out like if for instance if your truck needs towed and can’t start. It’s detailed earlier in this thread so at least you can move it if worse comes to worse

Ram2500diesel

Reaction score
There is a way to bypass the park lock out like if for instance if your truck needs towed and can’t start. It’s detailed earlier in this thread so at least you can move it if worse comes to worse
Are you referring to a lever in/on the steering column you mentioned in an earlier post?

Ram2500diesel

Reaction score
Ok,ty. I never had the dealer address this warranty issue because I had a few warranty issues and I wasn't too impressed with the ability of them to fix things correctly in addition to loosing the truck for a few days each time it went into the dealer shop.

Jcrawford

Reaction score
Yeah feel the exact same about the dealer “warranty” it’s been a major pia for me too. I’ve been on the list for the cp4 issues since the day you could sign up. Not even had a call. And they refuse to do any of the other recall work until that’s done

Reaction score
Mine hasn't done it in a while but if I recall correctly, if i take my foot off the brake while in Park...tap the gas pedal lightly and then reapply the brake, it will come out of park.

Users who are viewing this thread